FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Anyone know how many CO Infinite Pt's there are? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/514405-anyone-know-how-many-co-infinite-pts-there.html)

dhilpert Jan 16, 2006 12:03 pm

I've never had anyone at CO say a word to me about it on the phone or in person.

HeathrowGuy Jan 16, 2006 6:26 pm

At one point, Infinite Platinums did indeed have priority over regular Platinums for waitlists, upgrades, opups, and the like - all other things being equal. I do not know if that has changed.

Vulcan Jan 17, 2006 8:15 am

Originally Posted by cova
Per the SkyTeam Fact Sheet, on www.skyteam.com
CO has 29.10M OnePass members.

http://www.skyteam.com/EN/aboutSkyte...fact_sheet.pdf

DL has 39M
NW has 29.7M
AF/KL total is 10M

The US numbers obviously include duplicate memberships, inactive, etc.
Not sure why the number of Elites is so confidential.
Maybe we can ask again at the DO.

I was under the impression that we determined at the last DO that:
Plat=20-25K
GLD=60-75K
SIL=225K
and that Infinite Plats were around ~2,000. I guess it won't hurt to ask again.:)

hockey7711 Jan 17, 2006 9:49 am

infinite plats

What makes someone an infinite platinum?

cova Jan 17, 2006 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by hockey7711
What makes someone an infinite platinum?

The program was discontinued over 10 years ago, but in the late 1980s and early 1990's and during the two bankruptcies, earning the top tier for five consecutive years gave you Infinite top tier status.

Top tier ued to be Gold with Silver & Bronze below. The new naming scheme eliminated the Bronze term and made Platinum the top tier followed by Gold and Silver. (must have been earned - no bump ups in level or near misses counted and had to be consecutive years).

The top tier was 60K EQM, then around early 1990's was reduced to 50K. OF course it is now 75K.

Old Gold Jan 17, 2006 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by cova
Top tier ued to be Gold with Silver & Bronze below. The new naming scheme eliminated the Bronze term and made Platinum the top tier followed by Gold and Silver. (must have been earned - no bump ups in level or near misses counted and had to be consecutive years).

The top tier was 60K EQM, then around early 1990's was reduced to 50K. OF course it is now 75K.

Having qualified for Infinite Elite, I never did fly enough miles to qualify to be a real Platinum, I'm just an Old Gold. ;)

Horizons Jun 19, 2006 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Old Gold
Having qualified for Infinite Elite, I never did fly enough miles to qualify to be a real Platinum, I'm just an Old Gold. ;)

The IP discussion reminds me of when I first heard of the offer.

A couple of months into my first job on Wall Street, circa 1987, I was doing a lot of energy deals in Houston and flew CO often in paid F LGA-HOU and LGA-IAH. I remember one of my bosses waving his CO Gold card at me as we strode through LGA one day and saying, "You have to get yourself one of these! Five years straight and you'll have it forever!"

Well, as it happened I did hit Gold that year, and for the next 3 years in a row. But then I took a job in Chicago, and CO service was awful -- limited direct destinations, poor connections to everywhere I needed to go, just one or two gates at the long end of a councourse, and very, very iffy financials and bad crew attitude. Reluctantly, I switched my flying to UA which had superb nonstop service to everywhere.

The good news is that over the next dozen years I reached Million Miler on UA and with it lifetime Premier Executive. (Infinite 1P? :p ) Two days ago I reached 2MM on AA, the equivalent. While I'm delighted to have these under my belt now, I'm kicking myself for having just-just-just missed out on CO Infinite Platinum. I would have loved to have the 3 alliance trifecta at this point in my life!

The greatest irony would be if CO, as is sometimes rumored, buys UA. Would Contintental's IPs then get 1K for life?

ContinentalFan Jun 19, 2006 2:29 pm

I am jealous of you. :( The elite for life program ended in November of 1998 when the code sharing arrangement with NW started. I remember it well, because 1998 was my fifth consecutive year of gold--the top tier at that time. It still irritates me that the program ended.

One good thing about joining FT was that I discovered that both AA and UA have an elite for life program. AA seems to count miles from any source (flight miles, credit cards, etc.), but elite is gained by air miles. UA, I am told, still has elite for life, but it doesn't seem to be published anywhere--at least anywhere I could find! It seems to be a hassle to get started as an elite with both carriers, so I won't try.

Weatherboy Jun 19, 2006 5:11 pm

CO+UA=Death of Infinites

Originally Posted by Horizons
The greatest irony would be if CO, as is sometimes rumored, buys UA. Would Contintental's IPs then get 1K for life?

If CO/UA merged, they'd probably use the opportunity to kill the Infinite program and would probably do some major changing to each program. Traditionally airline mergers have resulted in fewer perks than more...and I'm sure of CO/UA went down the wedding aisle, the same would be true there.

CUSTOMDIRECT Jun 19, 2006 8:28 pm

If that were the case and the preacher asked "If any among us has a reason why this union should not be comleted, speak now or forever hold your peace", I'd be out of my chair in a heartbeat!

Traditionally airline mergers have resulted in fewer perks than more...and I'm sure of CO/UA went down the wedding aisle, the same would be true there.[/QUOTE]

ContinentalFan Jun 19, 2006 8:51 pm

I was thinking the same thing about a bewildered preacher with pleading stares at the congregation--"please don't make me do this." At the altar stands a svelt, dapper, popular, good-looking Continental. At his side an overweight, hackneyed, toothless bride in a used gown held together with pins. Beside her, a man with a shotgun pointed at Continental. ;)

[United fans, don't take it personally, please ]

100K+ CO Switcher Jun 19, 2006 9:51 pm

Can someone catch up the newcomers. How do you get Lifetime Platinum? Is it like AA where it's lifetime miles, or is this entirely different? Thanks.

ContinentalFan Jun 19, 2006 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by 100K+ CO Switcher
Can someone catch up the newcomers. How do you get Lifetime Platinum? Is it like AA where it's lifetime miles, or is this entirely different? Thanks.

Continental no longer has lifetime Platinum (or lifetime anything!). :( I think that the lifetime status is a draw; as loyal as I am to Continental, I know the minute I heard that AA had a lifetime elite status, I started planning to switch. So, sadly Continental does not offer lifetime elite status. United does. If this status is important to you, and you're fine with United, you might want to consider United too.

kingalien Jun 19, 2006 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
One good thing about joining FT was that I discovered that both AA and UA have an elite for life program. AA seems to count miles from any source (flight miles, credit cards, etc.), but elite is gained by air miles. UA, I am told, still has elite for life, but it doesn't seem to be published anywhere--at least anywhere I could find! It seems to be a hassle to get started as an elite with both carriers, so I won't try.

Not a hassle for some others :) . Buddy of mine started two years ago, has flown only 140K miles on AA but has over 700K miles by charging everything in site, including fighting with me over who pays for meals, I usually let him win ;) .

ContinentalFan Jun 19, 2006 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by kingalien
Not a hassle for some others :) . Buddy of mine started two years ago, has flown only 140K miles on AA but has over 700K miles by charging everything in site, including fighting with me over who pays for meals, I usually let him win ;) .

I hit Platinum on CO this week; I think it makes sense if I contact AA and try them again. I think it's best that I just send someone high up a letter and give them my terms and conditions. :) If AA insists that I have to have no elite status for a trial period, that's a deal breaker. I'll see what they have to offer.