Y tickets with continental

Old Jan 8, 2006, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Y tickets with continental

Hello folks. I've got some questions about refundable tickets here. I've been getting some conflicting information from many sites all over the net, so I would prefer it if someone could give me a first hand response...

Is a Y ticket fully-refundable on Continental Airlines? I've sent them emails asking this and they haven't got back to me. All there site says is that a ticket "without restrictions" is fully-refundable, but those prices are outragesly OUT of my league!! But if I search for a flight and ask for a Y Full- Fare economy class Ticket, then I get a reasonable price...is that too good to be true? is it fully-refundable?

On AA.com, when I search for a flight, I somtimes get a little box that comes out saying "Refundable", "Yes". Is this the same as fully-refundable? Or is there a catch. I find that most websites just don't do enough to clear up these types of doubts! And there's no way I'm paying for a flight on the web without knowing the EXACT terms!! They always seem to tell you AFTER you've cleared all the billing invoices!

If I do buy a ticket on the internet, how long do I have to pick it up at the Travel Centre? Can I say, buy a ticket and then pick it up 1 or 2 weeks later?

I would really apreciate it if someone could give me some experinced advice here! I've read so many web pages I'm not even sure what a flight is anymore! LOL!

Cheers,

FlyHigher223

Last edited by FlyHigher223; Jan 8, 2006 at 3:52 pm Reason: The frigin' bold didn't come out as I wanted!
Old Jan 8, 2006, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk, FlyHigher223. Your post belongs in the CO forum so let's continue the discussion there.

--richard, moderator
Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlyHigher223
Hello folks. I've got some questions about refundable tickets here. I've been getting some conflicting information from many sites all over the net, so I would prefer it if someone could give me a first hand response...

Is a Y ticket fully-refundable on Continental Airlines? I've sent them emails asking this and they haven't got back to me. All there site says is that a ticket "without restrictions" is fully-refundable, but those prices are outragesly OUT of my league!! But if I search for a flight and ask for a Y Full- Fare economy class Ticket, then I get a reasonable price...is that too good to be true? is it fully-refundable?

On AA.com, when I search for a flight, I somtimes get a little box that comes out saying "Refundable", "Yes". Is this the same as fully-refundable? Or is there a catch. I find that most websites just don't do enough to clear up these types of doubts! And there's no way I'm paying for a flight on the web without knowing the EXACT terms!! They always seem to tell you AFTER you've cleared all the billing invoices!

If I do buy a ticket on the internet, how long do I have to pick it up at the Travel Centre? Can I say, buy a ticket and then pick it up 1 or 2 weeks later?

I would really apreciate it if someone could give me some experinced advice here! I've read so many web pages I'm not even sure what a flight is anymore! LOL!

Cheers,

FlyHigher223
To answer the last question first, you never pick up your ticket. All the tickets sold on CO.com are eTickets, so you just show up at the airport and fly.

Regarding the refundable issue, generally speaking all Y fares are fully refundable (I've never seen any that aren't, but you never know). Also, when you are clicking through to purchase your ticket you have to agree to the terms of the ticket. That checkbox always says either refundable or non-refundable. That is usually a pretty good indication.

Finally, I once had a B fare that was refundable according to the checkbox, but when I called to cancel it they said that I'd have to pay a $100 refund fee. In the end, there was no charge on the cancellation, but that's what the guy said it would be.

If you have the specifics on what you are looking for I'm sure that someone here can help you with your exact options.

S.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:49 pm

Programs: CO non-elite, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
Is a Y ticket fully-refundable on Continental Airlines?
Yes.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
Originally Posted by sbm12
. . . . . ..

Finally, I once had a B fare that was refundable according to the checkbox, but when I called to cancel it they said that I'd have to pay a $100 refund fee. In the end, there was no charge on the cancellation, but that's what the guy said it would be. . . . . S.

I have found that these $100 charges for cancellation of B fares on CO and CM to generally be international fares, especially to Latin America. I have never encountered such a charge on a domestic B fare.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:34 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
While "Y" is fully refundable, as has been noted in various posts, the entire itinerary follows the most restrictive leg. If a single segment is not refundable, then the whole thing is not refundable, even though the majority of travel might be in full "Y".
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for those responses folks. ^ You've all cleared up a lot of my doubts about CONTINENTAL anyway.

The reason why I need a fully-refundable ticket is because my C.R visa has expired. I have a ticket back to C.R, but I need to take another one proving I have a flight back to the U.K so that I can just get into the country!!

My only doubt now is will an Eticket work in this situation? I can imagine I will have to take some printed form of a ticket to prove I have a flight back so that Immigration don't buzz me with questions.

Thanks...

FlyHigher223
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by FlyHigher223
My only doubt now is will an Eticket work in this situation? I can imagine I will have to take some printed form of a ticket to prove I have a flight back so that Immigration don't buzz me with questions.
You can ask a Continental agent for a duplicate receipt for your itinerary at the airport. I've had these printed at a check-in desk, service center, and even a gate counter, and both the US government and UK immigrations have always been happy with them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.