Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The French Connection: A rational discussion on CDG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The French Connection: A rational discussion on CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 2:47 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by vincom
It comes down to personal preference for me. I prefer not to connect through CDG, AMS will always be my preference. The French are decent people and it's not right always to blame them, but from a apassenger standpoint CDG is not the greatest airport to connect through and
some of the ground staff there feels like they were tranplanted from EWR. You can get that anywhere though.
-Vincent
Vincent--Some of your posts make me want to shriek, but this one had me in pain from lauging so hard. And we all need to remember the wisdom of your last sentence. "Out of the mouths of babes..."
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:20 am

I have to convey one experience at CDG that appalled me. While waiting on line at the American Express counter to get my detax money back, there was an individual in front of me. When he got to the counter, I heard him saying loudly "All you care about is taking my American money" and then proceeded to call the person working there a "b i t c h". Once I got to the counter, the person had no idea what caused this outbreak. Its possible the counter person was rude, but she wasn't to me and I am American as well. Just quite disheartening to see things like this, since I am a proud "American".
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:58 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I think we need to divide the discussion into 2 parts... I have no trouble with CDG as a destination, just another huge mega-airport, and if you allow yourself enough time, should have no issues arriving or departing.

But as a connecting airport, I think that is where most of the problems are. There are published connections under an hour, many of them, and truth is, you'll be lucky to be getting off the bus by the time your connecting flight is already closing the door. And your luggage... forget about it.

And reportedly (no first-hand experience), the AF folks on the ground are not the most helpful when there has been a missed connection or other mis-adventure at CDG.

It is as a connection hub that much of the CDG problem lies.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:54 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RobertS975

It is as a connection hub that much of the CDG problem lies.
This would be my complaint. I would pretty much classify every connection I've ever had at CDG as a pain. LHR and LGW can be pretty variable for connections (though fast track make them better than CDG for arrivals/departures). I find AMS, FRA, MUC to be much better for connections -- though even these pale in comparison to places like SIN and ICN.

Of course, a lot of huge airports suck for connections. CDG is probably no worse than JFK or LAX.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I can see where as an O&D point CDG isn't so bad, but as a transit airport it blows. While there are signs, it's easy to miss them.

AMS is by far a better transit airport on any basis I can think of.

Steve
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:51 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by trader889
While waiting on line at the American Express counter to get my detax money back, there was an individual in front of me. When he got to the counter, I heard him saying loudly "All you care about is taking my American money" and then proceeded to call the person working there a "b i t c h". Just quite disheartening to see things like this, since I am a proud "American".
World is full of idiots, it comes with the life package.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
I've been through AMS several times both as an O/D and as a transfering passenger. I'ver never understood the love so many people seem to have for this airport. I find the ground staff to be chilly, at best, and it seems like I walk at least five miles every time I'm there--not that there's anything wrong with that. I could certainly stand to "lose a few," and I know some people who go to the mall for their aerobic walk. But when I'm at an airport, I just want to get in the taxi, on the plane, or to the next gate. I haven't found this any harder at CDG than at AMS and many times it's been easier. I don't like remote parking however. Riding around an airport in a bus is not my idea of fun, but then I've had to do that at CVG and IAH in recent years. Maybe when 2E is up and fully running, there'll be more jetways available.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:09 pm

I have to convey one experience at CDG that appalled me. While waiting on line at the American Express counter to get my detax money back, there was an individual in front of me. When he got to the counter, I heard him saying loudly "All you care about is taking my American money" and then proceeded to call the person working there a "b i t c h". Once I got to the counter, the person had no idea what caused this outbreak. Its possible the counter person was rude, but she wasn't to me and I am American as well. Just quite disheartening to see things like this, since I am a proud "American".
The term "ugly American" is know around the world for a reason.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, and major hotels
Originally Posted by SlickRick
I remember an incident last year with this guy who had been a jerk in TNR before departure. Upon arrival at CDG he asks the fellow directing buses, "what time is it?" (in English). The other guy tells him to stand and wait for the bus. Finally the "ugly American" screams, "I know it's difficult for you, but I just want to know what time it is!" I'm sure he's posting elsewhere about French rudeness.

Overall, I would agree with many of the comments here on CDG. There are some quirky aspects (some mentioned before):

1) too many buses required - but then again in a US airport you almost always have to take a bus to the rental car or parking lot in the next county because public transit does not exist.

2) tax refund can be a pain on an e-ticket if the items are in the check-in bags. "Sir, you have to check in, get your boarding pass, then check in your bag." "You're kidding? Here's a printout." " That is not acceptable."

3) train - plane connections can leave you holding your luggage until the desks open depending on the connection time, which is silly because otherwise you would have enough time to go into town (luggage-free).

4) rechecking through security is often complete chaos, it it much easier to immigrate/emigrate within 10 minutes.

5) I am fluent in French, and the signs are not all evident. I have wandered around looking for where to go (e.g. finding the Roissy bus coming out of 2C).

6) When you ask for information, you often get a reply that seems like it helps, but is missing key bits of information. Example: telling people to get on the bus in front of la Porte X. But they neglect to tell you which of the three buses that stop at Porte X (a fact you may discover when arriving at the wrong destination).

This is sounding more negative than I intended because despite all the above, I like CDG and prefer connections there to those through LHR. I have never connected through AMS (only final dest), although AMS seems to require a lot of walking to the gates, with limited shops/facilities (including very small restrooms) near the gates.

Last edited by mondo; Feb 17, 2006 at 5:35 pm
Old Jan 26, 2006, 5:16 am

Rer

2 comments on the non expensive ways to get in/out of CDG
- automatic vending machines accept only CC with chips (before mainly used in France, now expanding in others countries in Europe).
At least in CDG, the machines should be able to accept foreign traditionnal cards. Otherwise you'll have to go a counter with usually long queues.
The CC with chip are indeed better and safer, but so far it is not the world standard, and in an international airport, it's up to the country to adapt itself to the visitors and not the reverse at least for this. Basically we are customers of Aeroport de Paris through the taxes
- a minimum to do would be to get the train drivers telling the RER annoucements in English on the segments CDG- Gare du Nord
This is a cost free improvement, and could be so much more user friendly to the non french speakers
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:14 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by SlickRick
"Ugly American" is actually a fantastic book.

-Vincent
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO OnePass Plat, AF Rouge
Originally Posted by vincom
"Ugly American" is actually a fantastic book.
Vincent:
I am a voracious reader, but I somehow have not even heard of this book. Would you mind telling me who wrote it, if you remember? And is it a new book, or maybe an older one? I'd like to read it. Thanks -
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:52 am

I dont think I can count the number of times I have seen "ugly americans" make fools of themselves while in France. I cringe whenever I see this crap.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:57 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club
Originally Posted by bebert
2 comments on the non expensive ways to get in/out of CDG
- automatic vending machines accept only CC with chips (before mainly used in France, now expanding in others countries in Europe).
At least in CDG, the machines should be able to accept foreign traditionnal cards. Otherwise you'll have to go a counter with usually long queues.
The CC with chip are indeed better and safer, but so far it is not the world standard, and in an international airport, it's up to the country to adapt itself to the visitors and not the reverse at least for this. Basically we are customers of Aeroport de Paris through the taxes
- a minimum to do would be to get the train drivers telling the RER annoucements in English on the segments CDG- Gare du Nord
This is a cost free improvement, and could be so much more user friendly to the non french speakers
Oh so now we are supposed to expect the SNCF/RATP to compromise their whole security standard just to satisfy the miniscule % of transactions that are effected with foreign cards. The additional cost of different machines and subsequent fraudulent use would not be worth it IMO. Why not obtain some cash at an ATM, or use the guichet. They are always close by.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:28 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by LawFlyer
...I am a voracious reader, but I somehow have not even heard of this book. Would you mind telling me who wrote it, if you remember? And is it a new book, or maybe an older one? I'd like to read it. Thanks -
The "ugly american" is actually the hero of the story and far from ugly, in any respect, in fact the quintessential "beautiful american". The book is from another era (50 years ago) and one of the higher-impact works of American literature. Must reading despite being dated.

1999 / paperback / ISBN 0-393-31867-2 / 6" x 8" / 288 pages / Fiction

First published in 1958, The Ugly American became a runaway national bestseller for its slashing exposé of American arrogance, incompetence, and corruption in Southeast Asia. Based on fact, the book's eye-opening stories and sketches drew a devastating picture of how the United States was losing the struggle with Communism in Asia. Combining gripping storytelling with an urgent call to action, the book prompted President Eisenhower to launch a study of our military aid program that led the way to much-needed reform.

Authors: WILLIAM J. LEDERER AND EUGENE BURDICK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.