Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-EWR Oversold?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:38 am
Original Poster

HKG-EWR Oversold?

I am planning to fly this route Jan 7. I had been monitoring loads since Jan 1 and it looks pretty busy (flight on 1/7 just zeroed out on everything, although I've noticed on other flights that more tends to open up again a day or two before departure). I am on the waitlist to upgrade with miles-- I know technically they close the list 72 hours before departure, but am I correct to assume that if they are looking for op ups, they would upgrade someone who is willing to shell out miles?

(apologies if this is a dumb question, I am pretty new to CO, and am silver)
Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:35 am

Programs: DL DM
There was a thread recently where someone in a similar situation trying to use miles to upgrade EWR-TLV was unable to upgrade and CO op-uped 3 Y pax.

See this thread

P.S. Right now it is not zeroed out. I see J9 D9 Z5 Y1 H1 K0 N0 B0 O0 V0 U0 Q0 I0 S0 W0 T0 X0 L0 at 9:45am on 1/03/06.

Last edited by NHFL9; Jan 3, 2006 at 7:46 am
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:23 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Now at 1.25am CT slightly more availability is showing:

CO 98 J9 D9 Z6 Y2 H2 K0 N0 B0 O0 V0ŠHKGEWR1235P 255P

Good luck.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NHFL9
There was a thread recently where someone in a similar situation trying to use miles to upgrade EWR-TLV was unable to upgrade and CO op-uped 3 Y pax.

See this thread

P.S. Right now it is not zeroed out. I see J9 D9 Z5 Y1 H1 K0 N0 B0 O0 V0 U0 Q0 I0 S0 W0 T0 X0 L0 at 9:45am on 1/03/06.
Even worse there were time sin the past 1 1/2 yrs where they wouldnt OpUp anyone if there was still space on either the flight that night or the next day. Once they even FIMed me over to another Carrier rather then give me or anyone a BF seat.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:23 am

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
That would be concerning to yield management - did you ever note CO HQ about it (on a friendly basis) -

Originally Posted by craz
Even worse there were time sin the past 1 1/2 yrs where they wouldnt OpUp anyone if there was still space on either the flight that night or the next day. Once they even FIMed me over to another Carrier rather then give me or anyone a BF seat.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by CkCrunch
I am on the waitlist to upgrade with miles-- I know technically they close the list 72 hours before departure, but am I correct to assume that if they are looking for op ups, they would upgrade someone who is willing to shell out miles?
Op ups are likely to be done on the basis of elite status and fare paid and not anything to do with the upgrade waitlist that ended at the 72-hour mark. So, as a Silver Elite, I would guess that your chances of an op up are pretty close to zero.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:01 pm

I am guessing that they would upgrade someone willing to pay with points before giving out op ups. Maybe that would just make too much sense, though.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
on the 7th.....BusinessFirst on HKGEWR is as of 8:30pm eastern time, booked to 35/48, and Y is booked to 250/235 - over by 15.

J has 13 empty, so the flight is oversold by a total of 2 people. These are "real" numbers - so, if all Y shows up, they will have 2 oversales, and 13 upgrades.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:37 pm

Location: Lat. N41., Long. W-75, in the NJ foothills of the Poconos
Programs: Ex-Con Million Miler, UA MM, CO Plat dozen, Onepass member since 1988
No way

Originally Posted by CkCrunch
am I correct to assume that if they are looking for op ups, they would upgrade someone who is willing to shell out miles?
No. If you don't make the 72 hour window, forget about it. NFW. They'll let the BF seats go empty, rather than do a last-minute miles UG. I've tried several times.

We here at FT think that's a silly policy, and plan to ask LK at the DO!
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
on the 7th.....BusinessFirst on HKGEWR is as of 8:30pm eastern time, booked to 35/48, and Y is booked to 250/235 - over by 15.

J has 13 empty, so the flight is oversold by a total of 2 people. These are "real" numbers - so, if all Y shows up, they will have 2 oversales, and 13 upgrades.
Aren't "real" numbers classified info?
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Aren't "real" numbers classified info?

not if you live in jersey city, 5 miles from EWR and numerious of CO employees live here, and they can give you the real #'s from their online access. Just friendly neighbors.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Semi-related question: EWR-HKG is at the limits at 772ER at 7009nm, does CO operate this flight with full pax and cargo, or is it weight restricted? I guess this is only relevant eastbound because of the tailwinds heading westbound.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Wo. This is quite strange, but I just gave the HK ticket office a call, and 2 R-bucket upgrade seats opened up, but for some reason the waitlist did not clear. I asked them to redo the whole thing, but I didn't have enough miles in my account--so I have to wait for the miles to redeposit (or pay for some miles).... (or maybe the waiotlist will clear later...) .
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Semi-related question: EWR-HKG is at the limits at 772ER at 7009nm, does CO operate this flight with full pax and cargo, or is it weight restricted? I guess this is only relevant eastbound because of the tailwinds heading westbound.
Don't know about cargo, but this route is always full pax, year round. EWR->HKG use the Polar Route, which is slightly longer but no headwind. HKG->EWR rides the tailwind over Northern Pacific.

Sometimes, there are exceptions. I believe for two days in September, CO99 operated EWR-SEA-HKG, and was of course highly delayed. But that's extremely rare.

BTW, I think most people will call EWR->HKG westbound, and HKG->EWR eastbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.