Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Take the Fast Track to Platinum/Gold/Silver Elite Status by applying for Mastercard

Take the Fast Track to Platinum/Gold/Silver Elite Status by applying for Mastercard

Old Dec 27, 2005, 10:41 am

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold
Originally Posted by Ken in Phx
When is everyone going to learn that "Their" Airline of Choice, in this example Continental, DOESNT care about them!
Exactly....
That should be obvious to folks when they realize that an airline will make repairs to an aircraft depending on a cost-benefit formula where one of the variables is how much it's projected to cost in lawsuits/settlements if passengers die in a crash.

The lives of their passengers are boiled down to $$$, nothing more.

(Not to mention the fact that even though the legacy carriers are in financial straights, the bigwigs are still paying themselves huge bonuses while cutting employee salary, retirement, and health benefits - at least according to what I've read)

Old Dec 27, 2005, 10:43 am

Programs: CO Silver DL Plat
IF this offer is for real, then I am really, really ticked off. Had planned an excursion for this Friday in order to assure PLT (first time) for next year. If anyone who is approved for the card gets the status perk, then what's the point! It is time for some damage control on this from somewhere. Barring that, how 'bout if we all call both CO and Chase ( of course with a call to Chase you never get to talk to anyone who has a clue about anything). Hmmmm.. I'm off to call OP right now!
Old Dec 27, 2005, 10:44 am

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by oopsz
How about knocking down ALL the people who registered but weren't eligible to no status proletarians? Even if they earned it?

That would prove how much they want to keep elite benefits from being diluted, in my opinion. And it would sure show all the people who weren't targeted that they should know better.

I think it's a fantastic idea.
How do you know you were not targeted? I've had promo snail-mail show up weeks after the offer expired. In this case, I put the code in, OP accepted it and I received a confirmation e-mail. Maybe the offer will show up in my mailbox tomorrow, maybe next week (in which case, as a targeted customer, I would be SOL) or maybe not at all.

If the system accepts my registration, I'm eligable. If I was not supposed to be eligable, OP should not have allowed me to register. (And there have been cases where I was not allowed to register and told that I was not eligable so it is possible for CO to lock people out.)

If I was allowed to register in error, take away the Plat status don't wipe out something I earned as a customer.

FWIW

DLM
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:18 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by mlawless
I am kind of disappointed to see Larry Kellner telling us one thing and then catch them with their hand (or their customer's) in the cookie jar.
OnePass is the property of CO. All FF miles in individual accounts are the property of CO. Elite status is at the discretion of CO. They have the right to do anything they want with the program, including abolishing the whole kit-n-caboodle. It is CO's "cookie jar", their cookies in the jar, and they can dip into it--or let others in--at their sole discretion.

There is nothing wrong in what CO has done. Some people seem to act as if Plat status is a legal right, or a protected property interest. It isn't. Those who feel cheated because they earned status through butt-in-seat flying shouldn't--you were assured Plat status by following the rules in place at the time. Those who get Plat status through this promo should feel fortunate--they would not enjoy status except for being lucky beneficiaries of a special short-term promo. The promo makes sense to me as a way for CO to get people "hooked" on CO and OnePass. Given the hyperventilating by some about this promo, it sounds like the "addiction" is quite strong indeed.
At the end of the day, its really just moving people in metal tubes in the air from point A to point B.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:22 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
The real winners from this will probably be Chase. So many people will apply for the card now and all they or CO have to do is say "Sorry, you were not targetted". What will you do? Cancel your card right away?? Probably not. They will probably offer you a fee waiver or some other benefit in order to entice you to keep the card and that will be it... they get so many extra customers for nothing. (I will be one of them as I also took the bait!)
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:31 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
For many years, businesses have engaged in targeted marketing campaigns that provide a perk to some while keeping others in the dark about the benefit. This practice is effectively what economists call "price discrimination." It largely worked becasue the free flow of information was limited.

In the age of the Internet, however, such efforts become increasingly problematic, as this Chase/Plat issue has made glaringly clear. Price discriminitation has always tended to engender ill will amongst those who are discriminated against. But in the past few--if any--were aware of the disparate treatment. Not any more. Furthermore, the Internet has now made it very difficult to narrowly target a customer for preferential pricing without letting others in on the same deal.

To all of this I say: "Hurrah for the free flow of information and the marketplace of data!"

Last edited by senatorgirth; Dec 27, 2005 at 11:34 am
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I just received the World card on Thursday and registered for the promo this morning. I haven't a clue if I was targeted, but it can't hurt to try, can it?

I also called to register the promo. In both cases, the system accepted my registration.

I've got my fingers crossed for this one. I have a lot of travel on CO planned for 2006 and any status would be nice ^^
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by senatorgirth
...Those who get Plat status through this promo should feel fortunate--they would not enjoy status except for being lucky beneficiaries of a special short-term promo. The promo makes sense to me as a way for CO to get people "hooked" on CO and OnePass. ....
I have to disagree. Only a select number of recipients were suppose to get this invitation - the fact that anyone can register for the promo is not a feature, but rather a design flaw, most likely at the tecnical level. I have no problem with CO targeting promotions, but this is giving away the farm, and I highly, highly doubt anything like this was a CO plan.

A technical flaw like this will not result in people being 'hooked' on OP - it will result in a flood of customers who lack the ability to earn status the traditional way to get a freebie (if they are not targeted) for a year, and most of them will either jump ship to another carrier using their 'un-earned' status as a comp springboard, or just drop off the elite books altogether after a year's worth of free upgrades and other bennies.

Again, I have no problem with CO creating creative marketing and cobranding campaigns to attract new business - but given almost all these campaigns are targeted to a selected demographic based on many variable criteria, opening the campaign to anyone with a pulse will not produce the intended result and is vastly more harmful than beneficial.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
The real winners from this will probably be Chase. So many people will apply for the card now and all they or CO have to do is say "Sorry, you were not targetted". What will you do? Cancel your card right away?? Probably not. They will probably offer you a fee waiver or some other benefit in order to entice you to keep the card and that will be it... they get so many extra customers for nothing. (I will be one of them as I also took the bait!)

In an era where one can now receive up to 100,000 bonus miles for signing up for a Credit Card, Im not at all sure that CO did not intend for this promo to be a free-for-all by design. Consider:

1. Its perhaps the most compelling offer CO can make to a FFer to divert more/all of his or her flying to CO; and

2. There is near-zero downside to CO or Chase from this promotion. If, for instance, 10,000 people sign up, and fly CO just once on a higher-fare Coach ticket, the airline and the CC company are both rolling in dough.

3. Plats wont notice any difference on most routes anyways - its Golds and Silvers who would stand to be affected the most.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Exclamation

Hey, gang, please stop all the whining.

To answer a number of questions raised above, no -- I will not close this thread. In addition, the folks at Continental are rather quick at picking up on things from FT. I'm sure they've seen this thread by now. They'll deal with it in their own way. Whether we'll derive any satisfaction from the way they handle things remains to be seen. I'd bet that they don't even let us know what happens/happened. Understand that I'm rather peeved at this offer as well, but whining about it here isn't going to do any of us any good.

Xyzzy
CO forum moderator
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 2mm 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Saw this and took a look. This offer would make me upset if I had BIS miles to reach Platinum for 2007. Onepass has so many rules, eqm, buy in for bfirst seats, etc., and now they come along with something so easy to get Platinum. Hello Houston we have a problem.

PS Two years of no Onepass and loving it and never looked back.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:48 am

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
Originally Posted by senatorgirth
OnePass is the property of CO. All FF miles in individual accounts are the property of CO. Elite status is at the discretion of CO. They have the right to do anything they want with the program, including abolishing the whole kit-n-caboodle. It is CO's "cookie jar", their cookies in the jar, and they can dip into it--or let others in--at their sole discretion.
You are correct that CO can do what it wishes with its program. If ranks are inflated as expected, and if BIS elites walk as they are talking, i.e. go to another carrier, CO will change the cookie jar rules, and will do it quickly. They question is will those who feel the effects the most, exiting Plats who lose their upgrades due to the inflation of the ranks, actually pack up their marbles. Losing a passenger who brings in 2K or 5K in revenue is not much, losing a few Cigarmen to AA, where he has status at the highest level, is a big deal. 25K revenue per year covers a telephone agent and a little more than that pays a flight attendant salary. Remember the loss of the high revenue passenger is a loss of real profits off the top.

The real questions are:

1. Is CO deliberately allowing non-targeted fliers to take advantage of this offer, or is this a mistake?

2. If the answer to number 1 is no, will they pull the status back?

3. If the answers to 1 is yes and/or 2 is no, will CO really lose revenue as a result, balancing the additional flying by the instant elites (if any) against those passengers who really do walk and not just threaten to do so?

Given the potential PR disaster for CO if they do not want the non-targets to take this benefit, I would think that some announcement would be forthcoming if they believe that this enrollment by non-targeted fliers will cause a net loss of revenue. Saying nothing while allowing the ranks to bloat means they have internally calculated this move to be a net revenue gain.

My guess is that they will withdraw the status from the non-targets, but I am assuming that others have alternatives and will actually respond economically (go to another carrier) when they realize that the instant elites are driving down the supply of F seats. OTOH, how many times have you seen threats by posters to pack up their marbles and go elsewhere for a perceived slight, real or not, and how many times does this actually happen? I could argue against my own proposition by referring to the elimination in the low mileage award by CO serveral years ago. How many people complained but stayed vs. those who actually left? CO did not retreat, so the net result of the OnePass benefit reduction must have been positive.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:49 am

Programs: CO Silver DL Plat
FYI my conversation with One Pass went as follows, Maam...I don't know anything about this offer. Chase has all the information. He did say that he had talked with another caller on this subject earlier today and that the gentleman was quite upset. I made the suggestion that some information should be passed on to his superiors since this has become such a flap. Now I'm wondering if I should sign up or not. Still think I'll take my run on Friday just to be sure.....
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:00 pm

Programs: NW PE
I fly mostly NW, PE, but figured what the heck 15K for $85 isnt that bad. My new OP membership required me to apply for the Word MC to "enjoy PE status through February 2007" which I also did and am now a confirmed holder of such a CC.
It will be most interesting to see what happens with this but should it go through are there any particular advantages in the CO PE as compared to NW?
Trans continental UG's seems to be as lousy as NW.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:06 pm

I am currently an earned Plat, and have been some flavor of elite on Continental since the 80s.

I fly out of Cleveland and have precious little opportunity to upgrade anyway on the RJs. Therefore, I do not mind slight little windows in which the ranks are swelled, if the upshot is that the bottom line is enhanced.

If little temporary things like this can help CAL stay afloat, and protect the points I earned long term, then it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Although I'm starting to think that the more negative ongoing chatter there is here, the more attention that is going to be called to this blip anyway, and thus the more people will enroll...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.