Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Take the Fast Track to Platinum/Gold/Silver Elite Status by applying for Mastercard

Take the Fast Track to Platinum/Gold/Silver Elite Status by applying for Mastercard

Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
Originally Posted by Riot_Nrrrd
I'm probably get royally flamed for this, but ...

I want to ask everyone that's angry and demanding that CO close this, delete the thread, etc. - do you pay for every one of your earned miles out of your own pocket?
Here is a small business owner who pays his way not only on CO but also on AA.

Even if I were not in this position, you must draw a distinction between those who may be on their employer's nickel and those who spend absolutely zip, zero, nada on CO and now want to bootstrap to Plat. At least the person who flies on the bosses' nickel is spending time on planes, airports, hotels, away from family with some hope (I will avoid the word expectation) that CO will some how distinguish this behavior from Joe and Susy two time per year Leisure Travelers who want to comp to Plat.

[I]The "Boss is Paying for It" argument assumes that the only cost of thousands of miles on the plane is just the cost of the ticket. Sorry, gotta disagree on that and side with those whose employers are paying for the tickets.[/I]

For those who have not realized it, the more you fly, the less glamorous it is. A small business owner,

MIA-SAT
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CO Gold, Avis First, HH Silver
Originally Posted by GoCanes
Maybe Chase will bite the bullet and pay CO a hefty sum to make us all Platinum.
I don't see that as being likely to happen for a handful of reasons, one of which is that it would likely be a huge sum if Continental would end up sitting down calculating how much it would cost them in terms of customer loyalty. The right-now cash compensation doesn't account for what a grossly swelled Plat rank would do for their EUA program, and the problems it causes their current customers in terms of reduced satisfaction and experience. More plats, same number of seats up front.

Also, again let's keep things in perspective here. This was a non-advertised, most likely targeted promo that some enterprising FT'er found by plugging numbers into their web-browser. Regardless of the outcome, I am certain CO never expected this, so it's not remotely the same as NW or other airlines conscious choices to dilute Plat. That makes it worse in some ways, but better in others. Perspective is good.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:34 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by GoCanes
Have to make a purchase first. Either wait for the card, or use the card today by making a purchase on CO.com by using it in your saved cards in your profile.
Just to expediate the whole process and to see if the card really worked... I used it to purchase a $50 gift certificate for myself... it worked! I'll let you know what, if anything, happens.

Last edited by PrivatePilot; Dec 27, 2005 at 5:36 pm
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Wow...

It worked!!!!

I got approved on the spot and made my first purchase

(Please don't kill me)
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler

I want to ask everyone that's angry and demanding that CO close this, delete the thread, etc. - do you pay for every one of your earned miles out of your own pocket?

Yes, I know there's lots of small business owners (and maybe large business owners) and consultants on FT, who probably ultimately pay out of their own bottom line for their Elite-earning airplane tickets. But I suspect it's much more common that the f-f's on FT fly on the company nickel - you get your miles for flying for your company, and they foot the ticket bill. To me, that's "unfair" - I don't get to fly for my job, so all of my f-f miles have come out of my hard-earned pocket, from as many trips as I can afford to take each year. I'm just a poor engineer that every so often can accumulate enough miles to get a free ticket, or the occasional upgrade. If people want to complain about CO handing out Plat status to the godawful unwashed masses (like me), if you get your miles on the company's dime, then "Pot, Kettle, Black", I say.

Here's another thing: I applied, and if I get the card and the Plat status, I might be able to take advantage of it a few times during 2006, and that's about it. My rare presence in your lounges and First Class cabins will barely be noticed, trust me. You won't even see me enough to sneer down your Elite noses at me. Sheesh. Lighten up, people.
That makes no sense to me whatsoever. Does it upset you that doctors get their own parking spaces at hospitals?
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:42 pm

Programs: SW A-List, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Elite, Hilton Gold
If you apply for the card and you get additional cards will those people also get the new status??
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by UCSBCHRIS2002
If you apply for the card and you get additional cards will those people also get the new status??
I think it is only for the main card member, just like the bonus miles you get... the secondary cardmember does not earn miles for their purchase.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mateo4321
Wow...

It worked!!!!

I got approved on the spot and made my first purchase

(Please don't kill me)

but did your new plat status show up on your profile?
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM
I got the message that I will be contacted in 30 days. However, my wife was instantly approved even though she makes much less than me and has flown zero miles on CO. I ahve flown 61K+ miles in 2005. I was going to miss my plat but if this thing works it will be a godsend for me. Let us see what happens now from CO as the cards are getting approved.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
I really don't think you CO elites have much to worry about. I don't think the "masses" out there will apply for this, and if they do, they'll either 1)switch all their flying to CO which has to be good for CO's bottom line or 2) fly a few times a year and if that is the case, it can't affect your upgrade chances that much.

The people that will apply are the Silvers and Golds on FT. How many is that?

I registered and got the approved message but did not apply for the Chase card. Why? I don't want another credit card. I don't want to switch from Delta (yea, I know what everyone on here will say about that ), and sure I can drive to MCO and fly CO but would I get the upgrades if I flew CO and put the miles in DL? Doubtful. Why would I want to open up another credit card if I'm not really going to fly the airline? I think once people think about all this, they won't apply. And if they do apply and get the status, I think most will not fly often enough to hurt the elite's upgrade chances.... but this is only my opinion and YMMV.

(okay, if somene tells me that I can fly CO and get upgraded and put my miles on DL, I'll apply in a heartbeat... Just kidding).
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MIA-SAT

Even if I were not in this position, you must draw a distinction between those who may be on their employer's nickel and those who spend absolutely zip, zero, nada on CO and now want to bootstrap to Plat. At least the person who flies on the bosses' nickel is spending time on planes, airports, hotels, away from family with some hope (I will avoid the word expectation) that CO will some how distinguish this behavior from Joe and Susy two time per year Leisure Travelers who want to comp to Plat.
I'm not that worried about Joe and Susy. By definition, they are unlikely to be on the plane when I fly except during those times during the summer and around holidays when I'm probably not traveling on business anyway. Moreover, I figure they will continue to buy whichever ticket is cheapest and so at least one of those flights will be on another airline.

However, I dread being at other airports behind Joe and Susy when it occurs to them that this spiffy card that CO sent them will allow them to get into the elite security line. Around holidays I already see too many spouses of elites and others who want the rest of us to wait while they discuss how ridiculous it is to have to take off their shoes, who seem mystified by the requirement that they empty their pockets, and who don't start to do any of these things until the previous pax have made it through the metal detector successfully.

That said, my wife and I have both signed up for the Platinum offer. I'm in the category where I made a trip out to see Mom in December in order to make the step from Silver to Gold. My wife is non-elite. I figure $85 for 15,000 miles isn't a bad deal and if it gives me a boost to platinum for a year that'd be pretty sweet.

And just to jump in briefly on the topic of whose elite status is most justified, I'd vote for any of the elites who earn their status on segments. A large portion of my miles were based on a few trip EWR-SJC/SFO for last minute meetings (ie Y fare) so I was sitting in FC earning 150% EQM. I'd happily trade such a flight with its extra flight time for the flight I took EWR-IAD on an RJ with a 30-45 minute wait on the tarmac to be allowed to depart and then another 30 minute wait at IAD until our gate was clear. Really, though, the OP program is for CO's benefit, so they don't particularly care if the $$ comes from your wallet or your employer's. They'd prefer to see you flying international routes where the profits are higher even though that means that Joe and Susy get silver status if their two flights per year are both EWR-DEL or even EWR-HNL at H or Y fare.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I'm just a poor, impoverished engineer, too. All of my travel is personal and I pay for all of my fares out of pocket. I flew (and paid for) 85K butt-in-seat miles this year, in addition to any EQM-inflating promotions that came my way.

So what you're really saying is that you're jealous of those who fly as part of their jobs? Envy is very unbecoming. Either buy some tickets or get a different job or fly in the back of the bus!!!!!

You're right, I have no pity for the unwashed who think they should receive for nothing what I have made an effort to earn.

Yes, I know there's lots of small business owners (and maybe large business owners) and consultants on FT, who probably ultimately pay out of their own bottom line for their Elite-earning airplane tickets. But I suspect it's much more common that the f-f's on FT fly on the company nickel - you get your miles for flying for your company, and they foot the ticket bill. To me, that's "unfair" - I don't get to fly for my job, so all of my f-f miles have come out of my hard-earned pocket, from as many trips as I can afford to take each year. I'm just a poor engineer that every so often can accumulate enough miles to get a free ticket, or the occasional upgrade. If people want to complain about CO handing out Plat status to the godawful unwashed masses (like me), if you get your miles on the company's dime, then "Pot, Kettle, Black", I say.

Here's another thing: I applied, and if I get the card and the Plat status, I might be able to take advantage of it a few times during 2006, and that's about it. My rare presence in your lounges and First Class cabins will barely be noticed, trust me. You won't even see me enough to sneer down your Elite noses at me. Sheesh. Lighten up, people.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:22 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by flyingwish
I got the message that I will be contacted in 30 days. However, my wife was instantly approved even though she makes much less than me and has flown zero miles on CO. I ahve flown 61K+ miles in 2005. I was going to miss my plat but if this thing works it will be a godsend for me. Let us see what happens now from CO as the cards are getting approved.
That 30 day contact message means Chase did not approve you. They give bad news in writing. Sorry.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RNE
That 30 day contact message means Chase did not approve you. They give bad news in writing. Sorry.
That is absolutely not true....I have applied for several Chase C.C.'s and have always gotten that message and have always gotten a new C.C. card in the mail within 10-14 days.....
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by david4455
That is absolutely not true....I have applied for several Chase C.C.'s and have always gotten that message and have always gotten a new C.C. card in the mail within 10-14 days.....
Sometimes they need time to confirm an address. That is very common if you've moved in the last year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.