Search

Prima Dona or Legit Complaint?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
Prima Dona or Legit Complaint?

Anyone on this flight care to comment?

I wonder if the wifey was a tad too caught up in her "fame" or if this was a legit complaint?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3538956.html

She is the wife of the pastor of the largest church in the U.S.

Last edited by ErgoTraveler; Dec 21, 2005 at 9:08 am
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:32 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Prima Dona..CO should sue her..and she should be ashamed of herself..So Unlady like..Tammy Faye Baker would be ashamed.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:32 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAAdvantage, Delta
"She is the wife of the pastor of the largest church in the U.S."

I would query your statement. It depends on what you mean by Church!
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:28 am

I am in the wrong business. Do they charge admission to go to church or do they just take donations (pass the basket around)? Can you imagine the collection plate of 16,000 people times 52 sundays. Of course there are expenses, but at $1 a person that is $832,000. Your suppose to tithe 10% to charitywith 5% to your church. If they have 16,000 members assuming the typical family of 4, that is 4,000 families. Average income in Houston is about 35,000 per year, so donations of around $1,750 annually per family times 4,000 is $7,000,000. Assuming 50% in expenses (I bet this is too high) and his church makes $3,500,000 per year tax free. I am sure the church pays for a lot of his personal expenses (cars, trips, food, maybe even his home). No taxes on the church so you want to pad the expenses.

NOt a bad gig.

It seems that the she is doing well enough to fly with her whole family in F to Vail (presumably to go skiing-an expensive hobby). Assuming paid F to be able to get the whole family upgraded. Even if they were all plats, upgrade is not in the bank, and I asure with her, she would not be caught dead in Y.

Only problem with this career is no telling how God is going to treat them when they pass to the after life. He might not appreciate someone making tons of money on his name.

Olsteen family has the right to be paid a living, and you should not have to take a vow of poverty, but it does not seem with in the teachings of the Bible that you should make an enormous sum off of being a pastor. Of course, on this earth, it is ultimately up to the members of his church, but to the public it looks bad.

To the point, she does have the right to ask for the spill to be cleaned up but not the right to demean the FA. They are not her maids. And her attitude seems unchristian. I bet her husband is not too happy because it is bad PR for the church and it seems that Co does not want to upset this family by dropping the issue. More than likely, it was blown out of purportion by the press but then again I do not think an FA would escalate the situation, delay the plane, etc... if she did not actually cross some line. Co looses money with a late plane.

Last comment, how come the papers always use "storm" the cockpit. She probably just asked for the captains intervention. What can she do with the plane on the ground, she would not even know how to start the engines.

All things considered -diva.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coplatsat
Last comment, how come the papers always use "storm" the cockpit. She probably just asked for the captains intervention. What can she do with the plane on the ground, she would not even know how to start the engines.
I was thinking the same as well. The door was probably opened as I have seen lately. She probably was a bit "loud" and that brought the "authorities" to the plane. I wonder if they were red coats or law enforcement, and their ultimate de-planing. While, I don't begrudge the mode of travel (though one would expect to see humility from people of the cloth - IMO), I wonder about the "tantrum" or such that caused the delay of the flight and the re-accomodation of the Osteen family.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingfriar
"She is the wife of the pastor of the largest church in the U.S."

I would query your statement. It depends on what you mean by Church!
I have a hard time worshipping with 15,900 of my friends, but apparently many people see no problem with that. I am used to a much smaller sanctuary.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:51 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by ErgoTraveler
Anyone on this flight care to comment?

I wonder if the wifey was a tad too caught up in her "fame" or if this was a legit complaint?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3538956.html

She is the wife of the pastor of the largest church in the U.S.
I'm glad she was removed... No need for people like that on Continental...

-Vincent
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:23 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by vincom
I'm glad she was removed... No need for people like that on Continental...

-Vincent
Small thinking again Vincom, especially If you have never met the Osteens . What do you mean by "people like that"? I would be fascinated to sit next to JO for 3 -4 hours on a J ticket somewhere and have the oppurtunity to converse and speak with him.
JO and wife Victoria are not my pastor, however I see no reason to delegate them to the back of the bus simply because he has a succesful ministry.I have never bought into "the minister should live in piety concept". I for one appreciate his success and have no problem with Lakewood church collecting as many millions as is possible . Theologicaly, I have no clue what he preaches nor is it important ,as long as those attending enjoy his sermons.
I also think it wise to be fair minded here . I have been on CO metal with ....y Flight attendants who have tons of attitude.If a drink was spilled on my tray (im assuming its the little pull out thingy in F) I would hope the FA wouldnt need to be asked to help clean it up.It is of little importance who spilled it and any service minded front line personell should be attentive to any FC passengers need for assistance.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:34 am

With respect to the ability to pay for travel, Joel Osteen is the author or a book that has been a bestseller for months, if not years.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by martinplas
<snip>I have never bought into "the minister should live in piety concept". <snip>
er, i think you mean poverty.
theoretically, we do want them to live in piety.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
My rabbi has a G-V
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:57 am

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Gee... I don't recall Mother Theresa having a "problem" in FIRST CLASS to VAIL...
All these "super preachers" seem to end up in scandal, when their greed makes them forget what they were suppossed to be doing in the first place. Gosh, liquid on the tray table! How outrageous! Those CO people MUST be taught a lesson! But truthfully the big shock to me is that he doesn't own a private jet... (yet).
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by cigarman
But truthfully the big shock to me is that he doesn't own a private jet... (yet).
I'm right there with you.

I guess the wife felt like "Her Best Life Now" didn't include a spill. Oh the humanity!
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by martinplas
Small thinking again Vincom, especially If you have never met the Osteens . What do you mean by "people like that"?
Well...

Originally Posted by FROM ARTICLE LINK
Steele said Victoria Osteen was upset about liquid on her pull-down tray and asked a flight attendant to have it cleaned. When the attendant, who was carrying paperwork to the cockpit, told her she couldn't do it immediately, Osteen replied, "Fine, get me a stewardess who can," Steele said.

She said Victoria Osteen pushed a flight attendant and tried to get into the cockpit. Passengers quoted in the Colorado paper did not address those details.
I have no desire to fly with rude persons or persons who are going to push a flight attendant and try to get intot he cockpit. Not small thinking, but I enjoy common sense and manners. Flight Attendants are there first and foremost to ensure your safety, then after service is important.

I have seen FA deal with nasty rude pax in FC many times, and people like that - people who talk down to and get pushy with flight attendants have no business flying. We are all still people and should be treated with some basic level of respect and humanity.

-Vincent

Last edited by vincom; Dec 21, 2005 at 12:39 pm
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by vincom
I have no desire to fly with rude persons or persons who are going to push a flight attendant and try to get intot he cockpit. Not small thinking, but I enjoy common sense and manners.
I'm with Vincent and would like to add that "people like that" may also be referring to hypocrites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.