Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Year-End Report: My Upgrades, Not That You'd Necessarily Care

Old Dec 9, 05, 6:56 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum

I have completed all the traveling I'm going to do in 2005. I am Silver Elite. Here are my flights in chronological order, and the upgrades (UGs) I got:

CLE-MCO-CLE: Not eligible for upgrade because of non-elite on same reservation
CLE-IAH-SFO-IAH-CLE: 3 UGs, 1 not
CLE-MCO-CLE: 2 UGs, 0 not
CLE-ATL-BCN-JFK-CVG-CLE: Not eligible because flights were on Delta, plus non-elite on reservation
CLE-IAH-LIM-EWR-CLE: Not eligible because of international travel, plus non-elite on reservation
CLE-EWR-AUS-CLE: 0 UGs, 2 not (not counting AUS-CLE because it was via ERJ)
CLE-SJU-EWR-CLE: 2 UGs, 0 not (not counting paid UG on SJU-EWR segment)
CLE-PHX-CLE: 1 UG, 1 not

Not counting ineligible segments, I had 8 that were upgraded and 4 that were not. That works out to a 67% upgrade rate. It's a small sample size, I admit, but I'm pleased with it. And given that I'm only a Silver and get upgraded two-thirds of the time, I think that speaks well of CO's EUG program. What do you think?
Old Dec 9, 05, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Its speaks well of CO's EUA program when your home base is not IAH or EWR.
Old Dec 10, 05, 2:31 am

Programs: CO Platinum
Split those reservations (with the non-elite) - if you want to sit in first.

Also - LIM flights are upgradeable (if on CO metal) as they do not offer BusinessFirst service.
Old Dec 10, 05, 3:50 am
RNE
Original Poster

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Originally Posted by Russell745
Also - LIM flights are upgradeable (if on CO metal) as they do not offer BusinessFirst service.
Yup, it was on CO metal, 757s. And your statement now has me confused (nothing new about that). I was told flatly by a CO phone agent "there are no elite upgrades on international flights." True or not? What exactly is first class vs. business first? How would I know which one is on any particular flight?
Old Dec 10, 05, 6:25 am

Programs: CO Platinum
Caribbean, Mexico and northern South America are definitely upgradeable - either via EUA or mileage.

Northern S.A. being Lima, Quito, Colombia, Caracas
Brazil and Argentina do not get upgrades.

OnePass Elite upgrades are valid for travel within or between the 48 contiguous U.S., Alaska, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South America. Elite upgrades are also available on select flights within or between the Mid Pacific and Asia. Continental Airlines flights with a BusinessFirst cabin, including transatlantic and transpacific flights, flights to/from Central and South America, or within and between Hawaii, the Mid Pacific and Asia are not eligible for Elite upgrades. To receive a BusinessFirst upgrade, OnePass members may use miles.
Old Dec 10, 05, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
I received exactly one EUA this year.

Total CO EQS: 31
Segments on mainline metal: 5
Upgrades: 1 (1/5, 20%)
Segments on ERJs because no mainline metal flies to STL anymore:26
Old Dec 10, 05, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
It's nice to know someone is getting EUAs. Except for upgrades from Y fares, as a silver elite, I have received no EUAs this year. Flying transcon, I haven't even been able to use miles to upgrade on a couple of occasions. Tuesday after Thanksgiving, I was told (a few weeks ahead of time) that I had a good chance of an EUA so waitlisted my wife for a miles upgrade and figured I'd get the EUA. She sat in the front while I sat in back.

Finally, yesterday, I flew EWR-PHX to see Mom and rack up those last few miles to make gold. continental.com was claiming that there were seats in F for sale up until the time I left for the airport, so I figured the usual high ratio of tourists to business travelers around the holidays might work for me. I get to the airport and am told that F checked in full. Oh well. Then, just before the door closes, the FA invites a 4 stripe captain to move up to 1E. I don't know if there was another elite ahead of me on the waitlist, but I figure that was someone's EUA for the year.

Well, F isn't showing sold out on the way home. Maybe then.
Old Dec 10, 05, 10:59 am

We are both Platinum - my wife was 49 of 58 flying principally PHL to IAH and with 12 IAH to LAX of which 6 were UG'd and I am 53 of 56 principally IAH to PHL with 6 IAH to LAX, all UG'd. The routing and time of day are key - one of the three flights I was not UG'd was PHL to IAH Friday after Thanksgiving in the afternoon when all but two of the flights were not selling seats. My wife was UG'd Sunday 4 December 5 days out PHL to IAH and has been UG'd 5 days out for the return 12 December. I continue to be totally pleased with Continental.
Old Dec 10, 05, 11:32 am

I'm NW plat. My EUA eligible flights in 2005:

CO EWR-IAH (1/1 + companion)
CO IAH-EWR (0/1)
NW DTW-EWR (1/1)
CO DCA-IAH (1/1)
CO IAH-MSY (1/1)
CO MSY-EWR (1/1)
CO LGA-CLE (1/1)
CO CLE-PBI (1/1)
CO PBI-EWR (0/1)
NW LGA-MSP (1/3 + companion on the one)
NW MSP-TPA (1/1 + companion)
NW TPA-MEM (1/1 + companion)
NW MEM-EWR (1/1 + companion)
NW MSP-MLI (1/1 + companion)
NW MSP-LGA (1/2)
NW MSP-DEN (1/1 + companion)
NW DEN-DTW (1/1 + companion)
NW DTW-LGA (1/1 + companion)

That's an overall record of 16/21 (76%)
On CO metal only: 7/9 (78%)
On NW metal only: 9/12 (75%), although note that on at least one of the LGA-MSP misses I had a non-elite companion on the same record (didn't split to try to get the NW 5-day plat companion EUA)

Overall pretty good, although the numbers drop dramatically if I figure in all my international, RJ, and DL travel.
Old Dec 10, 05, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club
So far this year (with 7 CO and 3 NW segs left), I am 50% on CO (7/14), and 100% on NW (5/5). All these as a Silver, including a IAH-EWR on the B762 and a transcon (to SJC, but still a transcon). As of now, it looks pretty open on the remaining flights I have (and I will be Gold after the upcoming NW flights). Overall 63% for the YTD, which I guess I can't really complain about. Looking forward to a slight improvement as a Gold next year.

dan
Old Dec 10, 05, 12:05 pm

My upgrade percentage was 80% for the year flying out of Denver as a Silver Elite. The only segments on which I was not upgraded this year have been into and out of DCA (four segments), RDU (two segments) and IIRC two segment IAH-DEN. I turned down one upgrade at the gate CLE-DCA because I had the bulkhead window with no one else in the row. I guess it really pays to be a CO Elite flying from a non-hub city.
Old Dec 10, 05, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I'm CO Plat and have been upgraded on all but 1xSFO-EWR redeye and 1x SFO-CLE. I've sat in back on BOS-EWR-CLE, and EWR-FLL due to last minute changes/WX. on a 'per mile' basis I'm in front 95% of the time (though some of it was miles)
Old Dec 10, 05, 6:37 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Russell745
Split those reservations (with the non-elite) - if you want to sit in first.

LIMA may not offer a BF service..but it does have a BF cabin from EWR to LIM..here is the rule about that..Elite Upgrade Terms

OnePass Elite upgrades are valid for travel within or between the 48 contiguous U.S., Alaska, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South America. Elite upgrades are also available on select flights within or between the Mid Pacific and Asia. Continental Airlines flights with a BusinessFirst cabin, including transatlantic and transpacific flights, flights to/from Central and South America, or within and between Hawaii, the Mid Pacific and Asia are not eligible for Elite upgrades.
.............IFS A 24 SEATER TO LIMA YOU ARE ALLOWED THE UPGRADE..IF ITS THE 16 SEATER BF AIRCRAFT..YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED THE UPGRADE.