Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y pax in F lavatories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2005, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Y pax in F lavatories

On a recent flight a FA made an announcement that lavatories in F are reserved for F class passengers only... Standard, right? Then he added that this is not a CO policy, but an FAA regulation. Somebody asked him later if it's really true and he replied "you can thank the government for that..." Well, forget the FA, the question is: does FAA really care who goes to the front bathroom? Seems weird...
Old Dec 3, 2005, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by NYC_747
On a recent flight a FA made an announcement that lavatories in F are reserved for F class passengers only... Standard, right? Then he added that this is not a CO policy, but an FAA regulation. Somebody asked him later if it's really true and he replied "you can thank the government for that..." Well, forget the FA, the question is: does FAA really care who goes to the front bathroom? Seems weird...
Do not believe everything that you hear out of an FA's mouth!
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
It is not an FAA rule, that FA might have been on a power trip.

I really can't stand it when people make up rules like that. I've written stuff like that in.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:29 pm
Suspended

AAmericAAn AAirlines -- the home of the endless droning announcements -- makes the same annoucement (ad nauseum) and a flight attendant told me it was, indeed, an FAA rule. she said that the FAA have caught people trying to break through the bathroom wall that is shared with the cockpit now that the cockpit door is secured. limiting access to that bathroom is an FAA priority, the AAtendAAnt told me.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:40 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
I was on an AA flight recently (757 - 2 Y cabins, 1 F - lavatory in each) where we were told that it was against FAA regulations to change cabins during flight and therefore could only use the facilities in the cabin in which we were seated. Doesn't make it true - but they did proscribe coach passengers from moving between the two coach sections.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:48 pm

Programs: CO Platt,Hilton Dmnd,Marriott Platt,Hertz Presidents Circle,Avis Preferred Select
I'm not saying that that this policy is true, but I noticed the stricter enforcement some time ago and asked about it on two separate occasions. Both times the FA's told me that FC passengers passed a higher security clearance and that is why Y is no longer allowed up front via FAA regulations.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 9:36 pm

Programs: CO Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
I actually wondered about this myself. I flew Delta recently, and on only one of my four flights did they even put up the "rope" between F and Y - and this included two transcon flights. There was a pretty constant stream of Y passengers coming up to use the F lav - even when a FC pax complained that she had to wait for the 3 Y pax in front of her to use the lavatory, the FA said there was nothing she could do.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Personally, I think you should have to scan your boarding pass when you flush. If you are a Y passenger, the toilet ramps up the suction and -- whammo! -- out the offender goes!

I think after a few people fail to return, the others will learn!

Steve
Old Dec 3, 2005, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by skipie
I actually wondered about this myself. I flew Delta recently, and on only one of my four flights did they even put up the "rope" between F and Y - and this included two transcon flights. There was a pretty constant stream of Y passengers coming up to use the F lav - even when a FC pax complained that she had to wait for the 3 Y pax in front of her to use the lavatory, the FA said there was nothing she could do.
oh MY GOD>..could she hold it? was she able, with her upgrade, to pee after a coach (Y) person used it? My dear, I hope the FC pax was able to make it through the trauma. All glory, laud and honor to that FC person who was able to sustain herself while the Y person relieved herself. Fabulous
Old Dec 4, 2005, 12:51 am

Perhaps the FAs are confusing (intentionally or not) a real FAA regulation with a congruous airline policy.

There is an FAA policy, near as I can tell (in that it's uniformly and always announced no matter what airline I'm flying, even WN), that passengers not convene near the forward lavatory. An airline policy forbidding Y pax from using that lavatory would aid the FAA rule, surely. Perhaps the FA was combining the two, in his head. It's not right, and I hate being lied too as well, but perhaps this is what was going on in his head.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 4:43 am

I've heard similar annoucements numerous times on international CO flights...essentially the FA's have announced as per FAA regulations passengers from the economy cabin are not allowed into the BC cabin.(possibly vice versa).
Old Dec 4, 2005, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by kilo
I've heard similar annoucements numerous times on international CO flights...essentially the FA's have announced as per FAA regulations passengers from the economy cabin are not allowed into the BC cabin.(possibly vice versa).
Not FAA, TSA requirement. I'd love to conduct a study on how well you (customers) "hear"; often folks correct me about an announcement I've made, when in fact, it is their lack of hearing that is problematic.

Last edited by Don'tGoThere; Dec 4, 2005 at 11:22 am
Old Dec 4, 2005, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
she said that the FAA have caught people trying to break through the bathroom wall that is shared with the cockpit now that the cockpit door is secured. limiting access to that bathroom is an FAA priority, the AAtendAAnt told me.
First, how would the FAA catch anyone trying to break through the wall? Second, if this was true, I would except a prosecution and a media hit on it. I don't believe this has happened.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Facevalue
I'm not saying that that this policy is true, but I noticed the stricter enforcement some time ago and asked about it on two separate occasions. Both times the FA's told me that FC passengers passed a higher security clearance and that is why Y is no longer allowed up front via FAA regulations.
Higher security clearance? That's the best excuse they could come up with? There is no difference in security clearance between a Y and F passenger.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Higher security clearance? That's the best excuse they could come up with? There is no difference in security clearance between a Y and F passenger.
This would prevent our beloved battlefield upgrades if there was a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.