Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Load factors for CO 82 and 83? 17 hours in eCOnomy!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2005, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

I have not seen this discussed on this board.
How are things looking?
Passengers will be on board for close to 17 hours (including taxiing and holding) on the wesbound trip in CO economy!
Does any other flight currently compare to this horror? SQ is longer but, well .... it's SQ. Fitting that it starts the day after Halloween.

"Continental will be making history tomorrow by linking these two great nations with nonstop flights for the first time," said Jeff Smisek, president of Continental Airlines. "The launch of our New York-Delhi nonstop service is an important addition to Continental's significant international growth."
Flight CO82 departs Liberty daily at 8:50 p.m., arriving at Delhi at 9:15 p.m. the next day. The return flight CO83 departs Delhi daily at 11:45 p.m., arriving at Liberty at 5:05 a.m. the next day. Flying times are approximately 13 hours, 55 minutes eastbound and 15 hours, 50 minutes westbound.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
i swear to god I wouldnt do that flight r/t in coach for $5000
Old Oct 31, 2005, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
i swear to god I wouldnt do that flight r/t in coach for $5000
I'm with you there. Someone over 6 feet and 190 lbs + has to post a trip report from Y ASAP.
I'm thinking this flight might be a good act for Fear Factor if that show is still on.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
I'm scheduled to take this flight in December, but thankfully not in Y. It really isn't that much longer than DL's ATL-NRT flight, but then I don't want to do that one in Y either.

The ATL-NRT isn't bad in Biz, so this one should be OK.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
CO99 EWR-HKG has been flying for years. 8,060 miles, 16hr scheduled time. Six day a week 200+ people "survive" it. UA operated JFK-HKG for a few months - and there were no E+ back then, and no IFE in coach!

There's regular economy of Thai's JFK-BKK non-stop, though they have more legroom. 17hr each way.

Air Canda's 345 YYZ-HKG service isn't that different from CO's ultra-longhaul. Scheduled time 15:45 Toronto to Hong Kong.

AA's westbound DEL-ORD is scheduled for 15:55.

So, yeah, hundreds of people a day "endure" such things on various airlines around the world.

Last edited by rkkwan; Oct 31, 2005 at 2:06 pm
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by rkkwan
CO99 EWR-HKG has been flying for years. 8,060 miles, 16hr scheduled time. Six day a week 200+ people "survive" it. UA operated JFK-HKG for a few months - and there were no E+ back then, and no IFE in coach!

There's regular economy of Thai's JFK-BKK non-stop, though they have more legroom. 17hr each way.

Air Canda's 345 YYZ-HKG service isn't that different from CO's ultra-longhaul. Scheduled time 15:45 Toronto to Hong Kong.

AA's westbound DEL-ORD is scheduled for 15:55.

So, yeah, hundreds of people a day "endure" such things on various airlines around the world.
I am not saying it kills people. People also "endure" the pain of piercing various body parts, watching "Everybody Loves Raymond", etc. both of which i prefer to take a pass on as well. I was just saying that personally I would never in a million years take that flight, not even for $5000.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I was offered 1200 + fare difference between J and Y to go TLV-EWR downgraded into Y. my response: HELL NO.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CO Gold, Avis First, HH Silver
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
I am not saying it kills people. People also "endure" the pain of piercing various body parts, watching "Everybody Loves Raymond", etc. both of which i prefer to take a pass on as well. I was just saying that personally I would never in a million years take that flight, not even for $5000.
God bless you that you can afford to give up $5,000 for something that most people would love to do, and many happily pay for.

My strategy with Y long haul, always: Lots of good reading materials. I am assisted by being 5'6 though.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
I think I would do it for $5000, since it would pay for a luxurious vacation once I got there.

But I think what BigPoppaCO was trying to say is that the flight will be TORTURE, even with books, pills and booze (lots of booze). And I 1000% agree.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:33 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Jeff Smisek is booked in Y

Rumor is that Smisek (CO's President) is going over in Y. Good for him ^ more potential J revenue for CO.

Maybe he'll post a trip report when he gets back
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by entropy
I was offered 1200 + fare difference between J and Y to go TLV-EWR downgraded into Y. my response: HELL NO.
I would have asked them how much do I owe you for that!! HELL YES.

Done it in the back 5 times this year, the difference bet a Y and a J can be a heck of alot of $$$, not much bet a Y and a Z
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:46 pm

i did ewr-hkg-ewr. 16+ hours i believe.

hell on earth. we had the middle seat empty both trips, but i asked the FA if the flight is usually full and she said yes.

i could not have even imagined.

hkg is great and it was worth the sacrifice (especially since it only cost 25k miles, on sale), but when i go again, it will have to be in J or F.

my tip... lots of alcohol and drugs.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lemurs
I am assisted by being 5'6 though.
you should have started with caveat. it's the key to your argument.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
i'm on the flight this coming sunday for work , i will post a report
Old Oct 31, 2005, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but... I don't see what the big deal is really. I've flown EWR-NRT quite a few times in Y and have always found that to be easy even if I don't have an empty seat next to me. While that's "only" ~13-13.5 hours on average I don't think another 3-4 hours would make that much difference in my opinion of it. As long as I have an emPower seat I just plug in and work the whole flight. While I would be more comfortable with another 2-3 inches of leg room (I'm 6'1"), I just don't find Y to be that bad as it is now. Really, if I were offered an upgrade to J for anything over $200 there's no way I'd take it. I'm not really that price sensitive in general either; I'd just find it to be a waste of money since I'm fine in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.