Community
Wiki Posts
Search

looking young & being elite

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2003, 1:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Analise:
And why exactly do you "highly doubt" that? Was his writing unclear somehow? He stressed that the beauty of Flyertalk is the meeting of people of different backgrounds, experiences and ages. Hmm, that's quite specific. If you all want to have an under 30 get-together, do it but it will not be part of the overall FT Community. That is what Randy said and I don't believe that he stuttered....</font>
Analise,

Setting aside the less-than-endearing tone of your note, I appreciate your views.

My take on this is as a 'kids' event of a sort. In general, I've found "all ages" is intended to ensure that younger people are not excluded by the old people who may feel we have not yet come of age.

That's all. I do not know Randy, but he seemed reasonable so I thought he'd be open to it.

Thanks for taking the time to share your views.
Old May 13, 2003, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
The worst experience I had with this was in CDG a couple months back.

We bordered CDG-EWR, after being told EWR was almost completely shut due to snow, so we could spend another night in CDG or go on to EWR and most likely get stranded there. We were promised we were going to EWR.

Almost 4 hours into flight, what do the monitors show? We are turning around. 8pm, we arrive BACK in CDG. Not a CO agent in sight, and they had already cancelleded the other EWR flight along with IAH. When an agent finally turned up, we were told it was 6 days before there would be a seat. After two hours in line, I was told "we have elite members who can't get on a flight for 6 days, why should I put you on one sooner?"

(never mind that I'm NW Platinum.)

After looking at my record, it changed to "well fine, but we have CO elite members who come first." Needless to say, it was only three days until we finally flew CDG-IAH-DCA.

To this day, Continental refuses any sort of compensation OR miles for the 8 hour flight to nowhere.
Old May 13, 2003, 3:17 pm

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
Just curious, but was this BUF agent the Asian girl with short hair?</font>
Unfortunately I can't remember what the agent looked like. I do remember the secondary screener being a HUGE African-American woman who was chatting with her friend, who was spending her break at the neighboring gate, the entire time she was rummaging through my bags. This was last year, pre-TSA takeover.

I have found in the past that some of the BUF agents aren't overly familiar with the rules. It has worked in my favor a few times (upgrading a companion with a Prestige Pack cert, assigning an A class seat to me on a connecting flight when it hadn't been released to F yet, etc.)

I've moved most of my BUF flying over to NW now so I'm not sure whether CO has "cleaned house" or not.
Old May 13, 2003, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ironmanjt:
To this day, Continental refuses any sort of compensation OR miles for the 8 hour flight to nowhere.</font>
If it was a weather delay (which it sounds like it was), I'm not sure why you'd expect any compensation. You should be grateful that the pilots were of sound mind to divert. It's probably a lot more frustrating for them than you.

Additionally, mileage has always been calculated based on origin and destination, not the route taken. It doesn't matter if you go direct from one airport to another, or if you have to fly around a storm and then do a hold for an hour before you finally get to land. This seems consistent with what happened to you.
Old May 13, 2003, 5:34 pm

I am 24 years old and have been continental platinum elite for 4 years. Last year I travelled 160k actual miles, the previous year 130k. I recall many times where I was discrimanted because of my age. Most notably times where I knew Continental's policies better then the agents like companion upgrades to SDQ but the agent said companion upgrades or only availible on domestic routes. Of course this was at Newark Airport where elites dont matter as match because there are so many of them. BUt there have been other times where I have been delayed for 4 and 6 hours with no compensation as I have watched older elites getting compensated. Needless to say I have often, although not always, complained about this to Continental Airlines afterwards and stated that it seemed to be that because of my young age I felt that I had been discriminated. They apologized but didnt really offer any compensation which was fine with me as I only wanted my dignity back and recognition of my loyalty to the airline.
Another time that I was discriminated, although justifiably so, is when I entered the P-Club just after my 21st B-day with a pass. They immediately asked for age verification, although prior to this I had gone in alone without any ID and by myself.
Soon after I brought a Worldclub membership and had a similar experience in Detroit. I remember the agents there muttering to themselves that I was using my father's status and my father's card etc. It bothered me but I didnt say anything but then they called my name on the intercom and I knew what it would be about. As soon as I got there though, they apoligize because they indeed saw my birthday and figured that it had to be me and not my dad. That was interesting.
Yes there is alot of discrimination against younger elites but I think it is more jealousy more than anything else. If they are 56 and getting paid a small salary how can this 21 year old be sitting in first class and enjoying club privileges while they toil on. I can understand but it is unexcusable and more compensation should be given when this is done.
On a side note: I complained about a flight not too long ago and the agent said that they had already given me compensation for another flight I had complained about. It seems Continental keeps a profile on the amount of time that you complain. Although I can understand that some might abuse the system. But what if you travel 160k miles you are sure to get a fair share of time where things don't go right. Yet COntinental's approach is that you should not be complaining too much. We already compensated you once and so that is enough. Does that even make sense? Have others have similar experiences? Does this means that they can blacklist you for compensation because of other times that you have complained?
Old May 13, 2003, 11:03 pm

Programs: CO Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Although I have gotten carded once in first when I ordered a drink (I think I was 27 or 28), the strangest thing is when people ask me where I go to school. I have to politely tell them that I have graduated and have a real job and everything. (I don't tell them I graduated college 8 yrs ago). I do take it as a good thing in the long run. Looking young isn't the best thing right now, because I am supposed to wield some authority, but I know when I am 40-50-60 it will help me to look younger in business.
Old May 14, 2003, 1:19 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zacatecas:
Does this means that they can blacklist you for compensation because of other times that you have complained? </font>
Continental maintains a specific department that deals with "habitual complainers". Once you get on that list, forget about ever getting compensation for any future problems, no matter how egregious they might be.
Old May 14, 2003, 4:15 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tpesch:
Although I have gotten carded once in first when I ordered a drink (I think I was 27 or 28), the strangest thing is when people ask me where I go to school. I have to politely tell them that I have graduated and have a real job and everything. (I don't tell them I graduated college 8 yrs ago). I do take it as a good thing in the long run. Looking young isn't the best thing right now, because I am supposed to wield some authority, but I know when I am 40-50-60 it will help me to look younger in business. </font>
I have (fortunately I guess) had the opposite experience as far as getting carded at the President's Club or on board. I turned 21 just recently, but have never been carded once while travelling. I have probably entered P. Clubs 5 or 6 times, never a question asked. While flying, I have had a number of segments upgraded to first/BF where I enjoyed a drink or two. Not sure whether this is a function of pure luck, or me just looking older than I really am...regardless its interesting to note the difficulties that some people have had.
Old May 14, 2003, 6:44 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
Continental maintains a specific department that deals with "habitual complainers". Once you get on that list, forget about ever getting compensation for any future problems, no matter how egregious they might be.</font>
Customers who pay $20,000+ for air travel also have a blacklist. Once an airline gets on it, the airline can forget about having a share of it.

- Pat
Old May 15, 2003, 8:23 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dbaker:
If it was a weather delay (which it sounds like it was), I'm not sure why you'd expect any compensation. You should be grateful that the pilots were of sound mind to divert. It's probably a lot more frustrating for them than you.
</font>
Perhaps, but the situation was Continental's extremely poor judgement in letting the plane leave CDG in the first place. We later found out that while we were boarding, they had already cancelled all other Europe-EWR flights for the day....we were the only one sent. I still can't imagine why.
Old May 15, 2003, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
And here I am at 42 hoping to be treated like I was 24 years old...

A lot of the complaints I see here are just the usual CO mismanagement of their customers. They treat you the same, whatever your age.

If you are 24 and are successful, I congratulate you. Most people are surprised at your success because it is somewhat of an accomplishment. They may treat you differently because financial success at a young age is "rare". Take it as a compliment.
Old May 18, 2003, 7:22 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TheMan:
How about this one? They already called the first class line and then call elite. The elites pile up and are going thru and all of a sudden a couple from the back start pushing thru screaming "we are first class" and pushing by all the elites that were in line correctly</font>
I have had this problem often enough for it to be annoying. Only, I'm the F passenger trying to get to the front because the elites and non-elites have completely blocked the boarding area.

I try to be kind to my fellow passengers as you never know who is in F or who is elite. This frequently turns into a negative for me because I then get stuck behind people who aren't boarding yet and have to try to make my way to the front.

On a recent flight from DTW, we were late departing and everyone was anxious. Again, I tried not to make any assumption about the people moving toward the front as F was boarding. Once again, I got stuck in the middle of a pack and when the GA made a last call for F I had to excuse myself as I got stares from many non-upgraded elites.

------------------
Randy
-------------------------
HH Gold; WN CP; NW Gold Elite
Old May 18, 2003, 10:39 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Additionally, mileage has always been calculated based on origin and destination, not the route taken. It doesn't matter if you go direct from one airport to another, or if you have to fly around a storm and then do a hold for an hour before you finally get to land. This seems consistent with what happened to you. </font>
Actually it is what is generally what is flown, not ticketed. In this case where the traveler had to go from to Houston to get back to the East coast, they should get the extra miles for the route flown (unless they were on free tickets). And since the original flight did take off and fly for 8 hours I would have also expected Continental's system to think that they had checked in and flown, and thus get miles for that trip too. I'm just surprised that it took so long to get back to DC from Paris (there must have been flights through some other US gateway).
Old May 20, 2003, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by freakflyer:
Actually it is what is generally what is flown, not ticketed. </font>
Uh, okay, so what is your point? The route flown was CDG-CDG-EWR.

That's what would be in the pilot's logbooks, and it'd be unusual if the passengers went someplace that the crew didn't.
Old May 20, 2003, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The route flown was CDG-CDG-EWR.</font>
I hate to try one of Fly Co's moves, but did you circle DeGaulle for a while, land, then take off again?

(I must really get better at pointless sarcasm).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.