Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Plat Husband on vacation with wife and two kids - UG and companion - what would u do?

Plat Husband on vacation with wife and two kids - UG and companion - what would u do?

Old Mar 20, 2004, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member

Not the first time I've had this dilemna. I often get the EUA and then the companion UG. Obviously I'd like to have my wife sit up front with me, but can't leave my 8 and 11 year old together alone in the back. Wife sometimes gets bent out of shape that I should stay with family in coach since we are all on vacation. But it kills me to give up FC.

What would you do???
Old Mar 20, 2004, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Fly AA or UA where you could realistically upgrade everyone.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Exactly why would that be the case on AA or UA? He could use miles on CO to upgrade his kids as well.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 4:31 pm

Don't plats get unlimited companion upgrades? If there are 4 seats available, you could all ride up front....
Old Mar 20, 2004, 4:33 pm

Programs: Co Plat - Marriott Plat
If it kills you so much to fly in back, take your EUA- upgrade your wife at the gate and use miles to upgrade your kids.. that's what the miles are for!
Old Mar 20, 2004, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by holland:
Don't plats get unlimited companion upgrades? If there are 4 seats available, you could all ride up front....</font>

Umm . . . NO. Not on CO, at least.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Sit in back with the entire family.

It won't kill you

RC
Old Mar 20, 2004, 5:05 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Who says you gotta fly away for your vacation?
Old Mar 20, 2004, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Radiocycle:
Sit in back with the entire family.

It won't kill you
</font>
It just might.

If it's important to be up front, confirm upgrades in advance with miles and/or mix with award F tickets. (Hah! This is one place where it's much easier to get up front on AA/UA... there'd be seats available for this maneuver).

And as a Plat you can assume you'll be fine on your own... but do you even want to risk the companion UG?
Old Mar 20, 2004, 5:51 pm

be a good guy and sit in back with your wife and kids. why is this such a hard decision?
oh yeah because you are spoiled.

sometimes you just got to sacrafice man.

peace
billyb

------------------
www.primecolorphoto.com
Old Mar 20, 2004, 5:57 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Upgrade one of the kids.

Switch seats mid-flight.

If it's a long flight the kids might be asleep so you won't have to switch them. Maybe.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 7:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cory6188:
Exactly why would that be the case on AA or UA? He could use miles on CO to upgrade his kids as well.</font>
In theory, that's correct. In reality, please try to book 4 advance mileage upgrades from cheap coach tickets on the same CO flight on a popular vacation route and let us know how it works out.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 12:35 am

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
Put your wife and one of the kids up front. Pay back time for spending all that time away from home accumulating those darn miles.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 6:43 am

Programs: FB, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by COFF-Platinum:
Put your wife and one of the kids up front. Pay back time for spending all that time away from home accumulating those darn miles.</font>
Well said! That's what I'd do. After all, has anyone else noticed how many domestic crisis happen when your on the road and your wife is left to deal with it on her own?
Old Mar 21, 2004, 7:07 am
Original Member

Suck it up, ride in the back and enjoy your entire family for your "entire" vacation.

------------------
"The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.