Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental Airlines Increases Fares to Help Cover High Fuel Costs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2004, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG

HOUSTON, Feb. 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Due to persistently high fuel costs, Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) today implemented a fare increase of $5 on one-way tickets and $10 on round-trip tickets.

The fare increase applies to tickets for travel in the 48 contiguous U.S. states, and both restricted and unrestricted fares are affected.

"Fuel prices -- which we can't control -- are the highest we have ever seen," said Jeff Misner, senior vice president and chief financial officer. "Meanwhile, Continental travelers in 2003 paid the lowest fares since 1994. This fare increase is a step toward matching fares with the cost of providing air travel in this environment."

SOURCE Continental Airlines

Old Feb 27, 2004, 9:11 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by joebeenyc:
"Fuel prices -- which we can't control --</font>
can they hedge? do they hedge?
Old Feb 27, 2004, 9:25 am
Original Member

Well, since there are a lot of ENRON traders that could help them a bit with hedging on jet fuel, one would think they would hedge just a tiny bit.

------------------
"The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You"
Old Feb 27, 2004, 9:48 am

Programs: CO-Plat, HH-Diamond, MR-Gold, SPG-Gold
They hedge a ton, and they are quite good at it.

If I remember correctly, I saw Continental put something out saying that for each dollar a barrel of crude goes up, it costs them an additional $20 million a year.

As far as I'm concerned, while I may not like it, raising fares based on fuel makes a lot more sense than some other reasons out there for raising fares.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 10:21 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Well, today is Friday. And airlines float these trial baloons on Friday to see it the others will all go along. If EVERYONE has not matched by Sunday, you can expect CO to withdraw this change promptly.
Now would be a good time to wait and NOT buy a ticket.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 11:43 am

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Fuel surcharges are like "temporary" tax increases. They never really go away. Remember, CO simply rolled the previous fuel surcharge into the fare when the price of fuel went down. Jet fuel currently sells at around 98 cents/gallon, which is what CO would pay if they weren't hedging. That price is 21% BELOW the price this time a year ago.

------------------
Proud to be CO free!
Old Feb 27, 2004, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by duxfan:
Jet fuel currently sells at around 98 cents/gallon, which is what CO would pay if they weren't hedging. That price is 21% BELOW the price this time a year ago.</font>
Then how are these "...The highest [prices] we have ever seen...."

Old Feb 27, 2004, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat
See this article regarding hedging on fuel costs - says Continental and Northwest aren't hedged at all for 2004:

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/mark.../10145979.html

Old Feb 27, 2004, 1:20 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by xyzzy:
Then how are these "...The highest [prices] we have ever seen...."
</font>
Well if they were hedged in the past and are not now, that might make it true. OTOH, CO has been known to fabricate the truth...

------------------
Proud to be CO free!
Old Feb 27, 2004, 1:50 pm

Programs: CO Silver
NW isn't matching so this balloon isn't going to float.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 2:35 pm

Programs: CO-Plat, HH-Diamond, MR-Gold, SPG-Gold

NW is matching, but not on all routes. The fact that they are matching at all and not taking the "Ralph Nader" approach (spolier) makes me believe that this will stick.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 2:48 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Loews Gold, Marriott Gold, etc. etc. etc
CO was hedged all through 2003, now that 2004 has come they took a gamble that prices would drop and decided to return to a conventional format on the assumption that prices would drop. They are dropping, but have not slipped below their negotiated rate for 2003. A friend of mine specializing in the oil industry said this was a rather expedient move as jet fuel prices are expected to go down somewhat (below the 2003 hedge), but at the moment, fuel is costing CO more to operate this year on slightly higher revenue with fluctuating yields.

------------------
Dave

Old Feb 27, 2004, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IAH_FLYER:
NW isn't matching so this balloon isn't going to float.</font>
As noted above, they *are* matching:
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/business/8057887.htm
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Airline fares up $10 a ticket

By Trebor Banstetter

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Citing rising fuel costs, most of the major airlines hiked fares by $10 on round-trip tickets Friday _ and this time, the price increase just might last past the weekend.

It was the first time since February 2003 that the major airlines cooperated on an across-the-board price increase. Typically, such fare increases are retracted if one of the large carriers doesn't match the increase.

Fort Worth-based American Airlines has tried twice since then to raise fares nationwide, but always reduced prices within a few days after a key rival didn't follow.

"I think this one is going to stay on the books," said Terry Trippler, an airline pricing analyst with Cheapseats.com, an Internet travel service. "The fuel prices are killing these guys."

This time, the increase was instigated by Houston-based Continental Airlines, which raised prices Friday morning. Soon American, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines and JetBlue Airways all followed suit.

Northwest Airlines raised fares on most, but not all, of its routes. The only large airlines that had not signed on by late Friday were Dallas-based Southwest Airlines and US Airways. Those two carriers are locked in a pitched battle in Philadelphia, a US Airways hub that was recently invaded by discount king Southwest.</font>
Old Feb 27, 2004, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Continental seems to be the 'industry leader' once again.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by duxfan:
Jet fuel currently sells at around 98 cents/gallon, which is what CO would pay if they weren't hedging. </font>
From where?

I'm not doubting you, I just see people pay $3/gal for private aircraft and although I'm sure co has quite the discount, that seems like a huge discrepency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.