Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR/CO Airport Day this Saturday 10-1-05

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

EWR/CO Airport Day this Saturday 10-1-05

I did not see this posted anywhere else. I attended it a few years ago with the kids its a lot of fun. CO and EWR airport allow you to check out planes, helicpoters, fire and other emergency equipment. Last time I went CO parked a 777 and the kids took turns sitting in the pilots seats and lounging in the BF seats. There should be food, balloons, games etc. The Special Olympics of NJ sponsors a Plane Pull on the same day. Its fun watching to see which team can pull a 737 the fastest. Anyone who has a link can post it.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:35 pm

Programs: CO non-elite, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
Same thing at IAH this Saturday. Here is a link.

Last year at IAH there was a static display ERJ and 737. I think the plane pull was a FedEx 727, which was open afterward.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by MilesDavis
Same thing at IAH this Saturday. Here is a link.
It says "to be rescheduled" or something like that.

Also, $10? Hm...
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:02 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Any IAH'ers going?

I'd jump at the chance to a 777 (or any 7XX) up close!
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any more detailed information on the EWR event? Didn't see anything on the P.A. website. I'll be flying out Saturday morning and would like to know if it'll be worth arriving a little earlier to "enjoy" the festivities. Thx.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold;DL GM
Washington Dulles

Here is the event for Dulles this weekend. Not a CO-fest however. Apologies if already posted.

Washington Dulles Plane Pull
Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Any more detailed information on the EWR event? Didn't see anything on the P.A. website. I'll be flying out Saturday morning and would like to know if it'll be worth arriving a little earlier to "enjoy" the festivities. Thx.
I know the plane pull starts early, but airport day probably starts later, just not sure what time. I called Special Olympics and they think the parking is in P4 and due to security you have to take a shuttle bus to the area where the event is being held.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:26 am

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,
Where is the CLE open house?
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:07 am

There's a small blurb on the Special Olympics New Jersey website:

www.sonj.org

and a link to the brochure PDF:

http://www.sonj.org/Downloads/web0280.pdf
Old Oct 2, 2005, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Well, it was a fun day. My boys (8 and 5) and I got to do all of the following in and around the CO 777 hanger (sans 777) and in and around the de-icing structure.:

We explored a CO 737 and ERJ including sitting in the cockpit, trying out all the seats,and walking all around and under the planes. The best photos I got were the kids standing in the 737 engines. I also have some good shots of them lounging in the first class seats.

We explored a Fed Ex 727. They were running up and down the cargo area and played in the cockpit.

We sat in and/or saw many smaller planes and helicopters.

Also, we saw the airport fire trucks squirt foam and saw all the airport equipment vehicles.

There were free hot dogs/hamburgers with drinks, chips, popcorn, ice cream etc and goodies given out such as little toys and balloons. There were also raffles and give aways for such things as first aid kits. Also, you could buy various T shirts and stuff from local law enforcement and airport agencies.

The PANYNJ gave out free parking passes (saved $18!!).

One of the highlights was when the kids got to sit in the front cab of the de-icing truck as the operator lifted it high into the sky, all around, and down again. It went as about as high as the top of the de-icing structure.

The weather was great, there were alot of people all of whom were having a good time, and all during this day we watched planes coming in for landings including the Peter Max 777. Note to CO: thanks for everything and please, please, next year, try to arrange for a 777 to be at the event as you have in the past.

We rode the monorail a few times before leaving. We really did have an "airport day."
Old Oct 2, 2005, 6:27 pm

We won a $50 Nordstrom gift certificate from the CO raffle in addition do doing all of the above.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Oh -- how I wish I knew about this before it happened... I'm glad some of us got to go!
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:19 pm

Here are some photos we took:

Oct 1, 2005 - EWR Airport Day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.