Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why Can't I Book a Flight from CLE to CAI on Continental.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2005, 2:57 pm
RNE
Original Poster

How come on continental.com when I try to book a flight from CLE to CAI it exclaims, "! Neither Continental nor its codeshare partners serve Cairo EG (CAI) using a Continental flight number. You may modify your search criteria, or call 1-800-300-1547 for assistance.," but if I telephone Continental and ask about the same route, they can book it for me. After all, KLM is a codeshare partner serving Cairo. So what if there's no Continental flight number? Other online engines, like Orbitz, Expedia and Travelocity, can handle it. Why can't continental.com?
Old Sep 25, 2005, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Other online engines, like Orbitz, Expedia and Travelocity, can handle it. Why can't continental.com?
Because it sucks?
Old Sep 25, 2005, 4:03 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Because it sucks?
I'd say there are a few improvments for sure that would spruce up co.com. However, if you think co.com 'sucks' try some of the other's sites. IMHO, Continental's website is much better function wise than the majority of the others.

As far as the connections not showing up - I'd wager the KLM flights are not loaded into co's system.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by RNE
How come on continental.com when I try to book a flight from CLE to CAI it exclaims, "! Neither Continental nor its codeshare partners serve Cairo EG (CAI) using a Continental flight number. You may modify your search criteria, or call 1-800-300-1547 for assistance.," but if I telephone Continental and ask about the same route, they can book it for me. After all, KLM is a codeshare partner serving Cairo. So what if there's no Continental flight number? Other online engines, like Orbitz, Expedia and Travelocity, can handle it. Why can't continental.com?
CO's website is NOT completely integrated to incorporate codeshares. The only way to book these codeshares is to call CO.

I wouldn't say CO's website sucks - in fact, I think CO has the best website among all carriers...It's just that codeshares are not fully incorporated into CO's website.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:49 am
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PIT_Flyer
It's just that codeshares are not fully incorporated into CO's website.
That's obvious. Why AREN'T they fully incorporated?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by RNE
After all, KLM is a codeshare partner serving Cairo. So what if there's no Continental flight number?
You are mixing 2 things here. KLM is a Sky Team partner and is a full joint ticketing partner with Continental. Once there is no CO flight number on the AMS - CAI route - this flight is not on the CO - KLM codeshare map and in this term, Continental does not serve CAI. CO.com sells only CO coded flights and will not sell you a KLM coded flight. To get flights on partner airlines - you must use the phone or other online travel agencies.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by RNE
That's obvious. Why AREN'T they fully incorporated?
It's probably revenue protection.

If it showed the partner flights, perhaps there would be cases where the partner flights would be less expsensive, and the consumer would pick those over the CO flights.

I suspect they believe the loss of business from the occasional person who is given a false negative (i.e., "we don't go there," when in reality they can get you most of the way) is less than the lost business from showing partners and losing business to them.

After all, in your case there was no lost business, you just used a different method to book it.

Of course the ideal would be only to show partners for routes where they have no service, but that'd be asking them to modify co.com, which means they'd likely break something else.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RNE
So what if there's no Continental flight number? Other online engines, like Orbitz, Expedia and Travelocity, can handle it. Why can't continental.com?
Can you give me some examples of airline websites that do this?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by AKelley728
aa.com does sell non-codeshare, non-partner tickets. But that's the exception to the rule.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 9:06 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
NWA’s web site also does this. And, forgetting for the moment about KLM, CO.com does not show NW’s flights that are code-shared, such as Shanghai (which I’ve been complaining about for about a year now). I thought CO and NWA were supposed to be good buddies who shared everything.

This is a stupid revenue thing, except that it costs CO more to run things this way: 1) you call their phone center on an 800 # to speak to live human beans (sic); or 2) you go offsite to work your ticket, and maybe fly another airline (when I’ve flown to Shanghai, I’ve chosen to go NWA all the way as a result).

Why frustrate your customers this way?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
I had the same experience trying to get an award ticket from EWR to Nice France. Nothing showed up, but when I called I CO, they easliy found some Air France flight that did the trick,some direct as Delta code shares and some entirely on AF through CDG in Paris.

The only award tickets that show up on the website are CO, KLM and NW,
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:25 pm
RNE
Original Poster

As previous posters mentioned, both aa.com and nwa.com will book flights from CLE to CAI. I just checked united.com and it too does. Need I go on? I’ll assume not. But I will observe that this seems to establish that other airline websites are quite capable of doing what continental.com inexplicably is not. And it begs the question, Why not?

Originally Posted by apirchik
AMS - CAI route - this flight is not on the CO - KLM codeshare map
OK. Why isn’t it?

Originally Posted by channa
It's probably revenue protection. If it showed the partner flights, perhaps there would be cases where the partner flights would be less expsensive, and the consumer would pick those over the CO flights.
If so, then why would Continental show ANY partner flights, like on other routes?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
As previous posters mentioned, both aa.com and nwa.com will book flights from CLE to CAI. I just checked united.com and it too does. Need I go on? I’ll assume not. But I will observe that this seems to establish that other airline websites are quite capable of doing what continental.com inexplicably is not. And it begs the question, Why not?
Again, you are comparing apples and oranges. The discussion above is whether you can book non code-share flights on an airline website, not specifically CLE to CAI. As mentioned above, aa.com allows booking of partner flights. NWA and UAL do have codeshares to CAI (NW sells KLM flights as well since it was virtually the same airline). Continental does not have the codeshare.
Except for a few that allow it, most airlines around the globe limit their own website to their own coded flights only.

Originally Posted by RNE
OK. Why isn’t it?
Show me a single airline that covers the whole world. This is what an alliance is for, not a single airline. CO does not have codeshares to many airports, some of them are much bigger than CAI (KUL, SYD, MEL, AKL, JNB to name a few). I guess Continental does not have the need to sell these tickets with it's own code.

Originally Posted by RNE
If so, then why would Continental show ANY partner flights, like on other routes?
Continental.com will not show you partner flights on revenue ticketing and will show only NW, DL and KLM on reward travel. That's a limited functionalty indeed but it is no exception to what's common around the globe.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:24 pm

One more remark - it seems that the Sky Team alliance have the worse joint facilities of the big 3 alliances as the members of the other 2 have much better partner booking system - online and offline.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by RNE
OK. Why isn’t it?
The codeshare agreements are for a finite number of flights between carriers (and I believe they're subject to government approval). So, CO does not waste flight numbers on less popular routes. I suppose they don't sell too many tix to Cairo, that picking up booking revenue from KL is not a priority on that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.