Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"I'm sorry, F is checked-in full" yet empty seats fly?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2003, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Location: SFO (sometimes TVL), NYC, CHI but nowhere in between.
Programs: NW Gold

Has anybody else had this happen? I patiently check my status on F standby, and calmly console myself when the GA says they're full. (What I really hate is when they rub it in and say "ahhh you're pretty far down the waitlist; no chance ...")

But, when they close the door, two seats fly empty! This happened last night on EWR-SJC (yes, empty F seats on a transcon!) as well as a few months back in a 762. Boy was I steamed not being able to sleep in a big boy.

So is there a protocol / policy for folks who are confirmed in F or A but don't show up? Would it be any good to politely show the FA my elite card and request to sit up front, even after the door is closed?

------------------
NW Silver since age 20
NYC since 2000
Old Nov 28, 2003, 3:21 am

Programs: OnePass
Those empty seats were probably the result of misconnects -- the passengers who held boarding passes and seat assignments for those seats were arriving on a delayed flight, and the GA couldn't give them away since they were already assigned.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 4:22 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

A good customer-service oriented airline would have the agents board the aircraft when they know of the misconnects and pull the pax who qualified from Y to F. United and American routinely does this. Too bad CO can't do this and make their elites happy.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 5:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum HH Gold
I have had that happen before, and it is indeed frustrating. When I noticed the F seats empty, I got up and asked to be moved. After a big sigh and huge "eye roll" the FA said to get my things and move to F. She sneered a bit and said that I may not get my first choice of meal. With a big smile, I said no worries - I am not here for the food :-)

Has anyone ever not receied their upgrade, yet able to notice FA's sitting in F? That to me is even more upsetting . . .
Old Nov 28, 2003, 5:31 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Columbia04:
Has anybody else had this happen? I patiently check my status on F standby, and calmly console myself when the GA says they're full.

&lt;snip&gt;

This happened last night on EWR-SJC (yes, empty F seats on a transcon!)
</font>
Was this the same flight that you said you were manually upgraded on the other night?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Just for giggles, I called NW and CO last night to check if maybe EUA had skipped me on my 6pm EWR-SJC flight tonight (yes, that's 6pm the night before Thanksgiving; my name was misspelled on the reservation. Somehow, I managed to grab an F!</font>
If so, what happened?
Old Nov 28, 2003, 6:55 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
KolumbiaKid musta changed the names to protect the innocent.

Better fire off an email to Gordo 'n' tell 'im you ain't bein' treated in the style you wanna get accustomed to.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 8:49 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
On other airlines, if I get the "first has checked in full" message, I'll wait a bit and ask if first has boarded full.

Misconnects do occur and you may still have a shot if you're at the gate instead of already on board...
Old Nov 28, 2003, 9:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
On other airlines, if I get the "first has checked in full" message, I'll wait a bit and ask if first has boarded full.

Misconnects do occur and you may still have a shot if you're at the gate instead of already on board...
</font>
Exactly--wait in the gate till the FINAL final call. Otherwise, if you're in 25C and have to yank all your carry-on out of the bin, lug it up to F, find room, stow it, the flight could delay.

If the next elite on the list is in 5 or 6, no problem. I tell them to leave their stuff there and come up to F so there are no delays. We try not to take delays for upgrades!

edited for spelling

[This message has been edited by supercalifragilistic (edited Nov 28, 2003).]
Old Nov 28, 2003, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The valid reasons are usually missed connections, last minute cancellations, change of equipment or broken seats. Only once in the last 3 years have I seen CO or NW overlook boared u/g and that was on NW.

MisterNice
Old Nov 28, 2003, 11:40 am

I think the "First class has checked in full" announcements are just routine chatter these days, along with "have a nice day" and "we value your business, thanks for flying us, blah blah blah". Just something to calm the masses to keep people from bothering the gate agent for an upgrade.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Location: SFO (sometimes TVL), NYC, CHI but nowhere in between.
Programs: NW Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dsimon:
If so, what happened?</font>
Haha funny that you mention this, dsimon. I DID indeed have an F boarding pass, but I was travelling with a non-elite companion so even though I saw TWO seats in F, I bit my tongue and we took our seats in 5B and 5C. I did have the generosity (?) to tell the lady sitting in 5A she could move to my empty 3F seat. That certainly made her day (she didn't fly much, from the looks of it), although it made the FA obviously uncomfortable. I felt like Peter Pan, giving an F seat away to the rif-raf.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">But, when they close the door, two seats fly empty! This happened last night on EWR-SJC (yes, empty F seats on a transcon!) as well as a few months back in a 762. Boy was I steamed not being able to sleep in a big boy.[/B]</font>
Let me guess, you're a Silver on less than a full coach ticket-- You're not alone, its happened to me on 5 segments this year.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 3:54 am

Happens to me all the time.

On my most recent flight I was willing to
( even though I previously got down on my knees and swore that I would never) and tried to upgrade my fare from coach to business. I was told, more than once, as late as one day before my flight that business was “full”. Also tried with the gate agents. Got the same story. Of course , when the doors closed I counted at least 6 empty BF seats- three of which the flight attendants drew curtains around to make a sleep corner for themselves. ( they even re-seated someone who was going to sit in one of them) I don’t think that the FA’s are above asking the gate agents to close BF to upgrades so that they can have their “break seats.

You’ve have got to wonder about the airline that says it will be ****ed before it gives a BF seat to someone who paid only $200
( or whatever) but will reserve those same seats for people it pays to fly. ( the FAs). I have got nothing against FAs and know they like to relax on those long flights but I think it is kind of twisted when the airline won’t extend a courtesy freebie to its most loyal when it costs the airline NOTHING to do so.

I am always told that BF is full. I don’t think that I have ever flown a flight where it has actually been full. Maybe its just me.

With CO, its clear- if you want BF seats, buy BF seats
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:00 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by not a fan:
With CO, its clear- if you want BF seats, buy BF seats </font>

Any guess who is going to chime in now?
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
When receiving the "checked in full" statement, when I didn't believe it, I have, on occasion, said: "So, if there is an empty seat in First after the doors close, I just move into that seat, right?"

Then, if they say "No," I say "Okay, so what is the correct procedure for me to upgrade into an empty seat?" Normally, at that point, things get resolved, because they figure out that I intend to ride in the seat if it is empty. So, they take the time to process me properly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.