Is a Mileage Run Really Worth It?

Old Dec 4, 03, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Is a Mileage Run Really Worth It?

I need 1500 miles to requalify for gold. I am considering a MR from EWR/LGA (any suggestions?), but without even knowing where I'm going, I am guessing it will cost me ~$150. It's a big hassle, but I may be willing to do it in order to keep my status.
Nevertheless, my thinking is that, as usual, CO will offer me to pay $$ to buy the gold status next year. I don't know how they price these offers, but if it's for ~$200 or so, maybe it's worth it. Doing so will save me the hassle and the time of the MR (min 5 hours, inc. everything), and that alone is worth more than $50. Any thoughts or experience? How much did they charge last year for someone in a similar situation?
Old Dec 4, 03, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Remember that CO management has explicitly said they are trying to thin out the Elite ranks. So, there's no guarantee you'll receive the same type of offer.

With that said, those offers re cold hard cash for essentially nothing to the airline, so it might be hard for them to resist offering them again.

If you want to play it safe, though, do the mileage run.
Old Dec 4, 03, 3:54 pm

I would opt for doing the MR also. No chance CO will offer you a buy back, and the benefits from Silver to Gold are significantly better. I am sure you can easily find good deals out of LGA/EWR that can get you 1,500 miles cheap.

Good luck!
Old Dec 4, 03, 3:56 pm
Suspended

yes.

there is no guarantee that Continental Airlines will offer "pay for play" this year. having said that, cash is king when it comes to airlines.
Old Dec 4, 03, 3:58 pm
Suspended

deleted. sorry.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited Dec 04, 2003).]
Old Dec 4, 03, 5:13 pm

I wish my mileage run was only $150 as I leave this Sunday CLE-DAY-ALB-EWR-BWI and return BWI to CLE the next morn at 6:00am -six segments $350. Although I only needed 4 segments to keep Plat (my last year I'll make it), I thought I'd better get as many as possible in case of mis-guided-plans. Do the mileage run and if anyone wants to meet me in BWI this Sunday the 7th at the Sheraton - feel free!! This is stupid.
Old Dec 4, 03, 5:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1director:
This is stupid.</font>
True, perhaps, but once they hook you with big shot status it's hard to let go (that you acknowledge that it ain't gonna happen for you next year should enable you to avoid torturous trips like this one).

Have a drink for me in Baltimore, and enjoy your trip as best you can (go for seat 12B on the Jungle Jets and stretch your legs).

Old Dec 4, 03, 5:30 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SJU Abogado:
[B] True, perhaps, but once they hook you with big shot status it's hard to let go (that you acknowledge that it ain't gonna happen for you next year should enable you to avoid torturous trips like this one).

I agree, but if it is my last year of 99% upgrades (for 6-months until things change 6/10/04) - stupidy came in my blood when I started flying CO so I gotta do it.
Old Dec 4, 03, 5:38 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1director:
I agree, but if it is my last year of 99% upgrades (for 6-months until things change 6/10/04) - stupidy came in my blood when I started flying CO so I gotta do it.</font>
That's exactly what I meant (the upgrade part, not the stupidity part). I'm exeriencing angst over the fact that I am currently about 1,000 miles short of requalifying as Plat for 2004, and while I have a west coast business trip scheduled for December 22 I am concerned that a northeast storm can blow out my trip and leave me short (I cannot - and actually will not, for personal reasons - do a mileage run to give myself the security blanket, but - as I stated in an ongoing post - I'm trying to figure out if I can hustle the 1,000 miles on the EWR-ABE bus trip for $175.00 without having to actually take the bus trip).

BTW, what have I missed, for I don't recall knowing anything about a change on June 10, 2004. Please fill me in.

Old Dec 4, 03, 5:58 pm

I just did a last minute MR to only get to Silver...not having to wait in line at check in or at the gate is plenty enough for me anymore.
Old Dec 4, 03, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
PHL-&gt;BOS will get you the miles you need for
~$115. It's not that far out of your way to get to PHL. For $256 you can go for an EWR-&gt;SFO transcon on a 1 day advance purchase fare.
Old Dec 4, 03, 9:22 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Muy Estimado Señor Caballero Abogado, the rules say that if you want mileage you gotta go, and "rules is rules", as any abogado should know.
Old Dec 4, 03, 9:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by snake:
Muy Estimado Señor Caballero Abogado, the rules say that if you want mileage you gotta go, and "rules is rules", as any abogado should know. </font>
Señor Snake, as any well versed abogado will tell you, "rules is made to be broken." The trick is to find a good abogado to help you figure out how to break them without getting nailed. (While I took ethics courses in law school and actually passed a multi state ethics test way back when, I never took an EQMs ethics class.)

Now, if we wouldn't get these ridiculous December storms in the northeast, I would not be so whiteknuckles (gotta love that handle) anxious. But, if there's no way around thems rules, I guess I'll just stay calm and hope that there are clear skies on the morning of December 22 (actually, I'll be leaving from PHL, so let it rain in EWR that day, so long as it's smiling bright on the City of Brotherly Love).

Old Dec 4, 03, 11:30 pm

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI) [1991 - 2010]; LAS
Programs: Lifetime: UA United Club, AA Admirals Club & Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I'm trying to figure out if I can hustle the 1,000 miles on the EWR-ABE bus trip for $175.00 without having to actually take the bus trip).</font>
You'd be far better off simply bringing along a pile of briefs or other reading material.

A former moderator (? -- or at least active participant) on the Qantas board lost his entire account balance for a stunt like this.

See Is the QFF website down?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum39/HTML/000709.html

Please re-read the portion of the OnePass® Terms and Conditions that describes the consequences of Fraud. A good lawyer always presents the ramifications of the various alternatives to his client. So take my advice, gratis. But if you insist on advising yourself (publicly), you know what they say about a person who acts as his own lawyer.

De nada.
Old Dec 5, 03, 12:27 am

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI) [1991 - 2010]; LAS
Programs: Lifetime: UA United Club, AA Admirals Club & Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">A former moderator (? -- or at least active participant) on the Qantas board lost his entire account balance for a stunt like this.</font>
I guess after re-reading the thread, which I hadn't since the original events were discussed almost 1-1/2 years ago, and various later-added links (including a comment by the owner of this website in one of them), I should amend my quote as follows:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">An active participant on the Qantas board (and future moderator of another board) allegedly lost his entire account balance, putatively for a stunt like this.</font>
I wouldn't want to be accused of defaming a well-regarded fellow lawyer. And no, no one told me to make this edit!

To stay on topic, yes, an easy accumulation of miles to reach the next status is generally worth it.

[UBB edit in second quote.]

[This message has been edited by SPN Lifer (edited Dec 04, 2003).]

Search this Thread
Search Engine: