Continental Airlines Outraged at BA

Old Oct 15, 03, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Continental Airlines Outraged at BA

There's a wonderful press release issued today wherein CO rants about how BA is trying to buy up all of the takeoff and landing slots at LHR. Looks like Bethune got up on the wrong side of the bed today...

http://www.continental.com/vendors/d...1E&s=&i=PRNews

Cheers,

Brooklynflyer
Old Oct 15, 03, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Hey, I applaud this press release. How dare an airline try to dominate all traffic in and out of its main hub airport! Bad BA!

Somebody remind me what percentage of EWR slots CO controls. And wouldn't Gordo like to make it 100%, so "if I say it's $3,000 to go to SFO, you're paying it."

Pot calling kettle black.
Old Oct 15, 03, 1:32 pm

"Over the past few years, British Airways has ruthlessly strengthened its iron grip on Heathrow by purchasing the limited number of slots held by distressed carriers," said a Continental spokesperson.

This is awful... a nameless spokesperson? ..."a Continental spokesperson."

Please...
If you're going to attack a competitor, at least give the attacker a name and a face!

Ugh!
Old Oct 15, 03, 1:43 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
What's the percentage of operations at EWR by Continental?
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">BA still has a much smaller share of total slots at Heathrow than most of its rivals at their main hubs, such as Air France at Paris Charles de Gaulle or Lufthansa at Frankfurt, but the deal with UAL will take it to well above 41 per cent.</font>
BA finds further slots for growth at Heathrow
Old Oct 15, 03, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
You have to give them *some* credit for speaking out. EWR is not closed to competition like LHR is.

The most interesting thing about the press release is that they did not mention UA at all. What I'd like to know is who else UA talked to about selling. Were they allowed to sell to CO if they wanted to? Did they negotiate with CO?
Old Oct 15, 03, 1:49 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
they did not mention UA at all.

Sure they did. "distressed carriers".
Old Oct 15, 03, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

The reason that I posted this press release is that I find it so humorous. CO has a habit of flying off the handle and issuing press releases with a lot of 'tude rather than doing what a lot of companies do--work behind to scenes to get their way. You know what TR said, "Walk softly and carry a big stick."

Also, I find this press release far from newsworthy. Who really cares what CO thinks? I can't believe they actually paid to send this out over the PR Newswire.

Another classic is the press release that CO came out with when the DOT initially rejected the DL alliance. It had a big middle finger aimed directly at the US gov't when they said they were going to go ahead anyway and implement their alliance.

Cheers,
Brooklynflyer
Old Oct 15, 03, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Oh give me a break. Don't they have better $hit to do?

Although I don't like BA's buy up of all those slots. I really hate LGW.
Old Oct 15, 03, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by notsosmart:
Oh give me a break. Don't they have better $hit to do?

</font>
Well I'm glad that they're spending their time dreaming up useless press releases rather than coming up with more "enhancements" to OP.
Old Oct 15, 03, 2:40 pm

Maybe BA should fire back a press release, asserting how mad they are the Continental has copied BA's FF changes, trying to send the riff raff back BA's way.

BA tried to adjust their FF program to shoo away all the low-yield riff raff flyers, and then CO tries to shove some back at BA by making similar OnePass changes in a deliberate attempt to get the QSLT bums flying across the pond to instead take BA via LHR to fill up BA's planes so high yield pax can't.

[This message has been edited by First in Class (edited 10-15-2003).]
Old Oct 15, 03, 3:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by xyzzy:
Were they allowed to sell to CO if they wanted to? </font>
I'm not sure if "slots" are route specific, or if they are a just a time that you can land or take off and go anywhere you please.

But they are route specific, then UA could only sell them to BA, AA or Virgin.

Old Oct 15, 03, 5:03 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 767-322ETOPS:
I'm not sure if "slots" are route specific, or if they are a just a time that you can land or take off and go anywhere you please.

But they are route specific, then UA could only sell them to BA, AA or Virgin.

</font>

Slots are times. There is a good discussion of the slots going on in the UA forum. Basically, UA traded "good" slots for BA's existing "bad" slots. Then, as unused slots expire and go back in to the pool to be reallocated, UA will just not use the slots and they will be up for grabs again.
UA of course received cash as well.
Old Oct 15, 03, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Continental executives have a fiduciary duty to take these actions and attempt to defeat competitors.

It's their job and it is designed to help revenue and make shareholders happy. I'm sure they don't really care if some passengers think they're stupid.

As far as it not being newsworthy, that's what PR Newswire is all about. You pay to release your own content, regardless of if it's important or not. The news media reads the articles and decides if they think it's newsworthy. The FT picked up the story.
Old Oct 15, 03, 6:33 pm

just some facts i gathered which i find rather amusing concerning CO's attack on BA

BA now has 41% of Heathrow slots and compare that to AF/KLM's 50%+ at CDG/AMS.

If BA has "ruthlessly strengthened its iron grip on Heathrow", I would say AF/KLM has a "suffocating strangle" at CDG/KLM. :P

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031013/ap_on_bi_ge/britis h_airways_heathrow_1

[This message has been edited by jakob (edited 10-15-2003).]
Old Oct 15, 03, 7:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dbaker:
Continental executives have a fiduciary duty to take these actions and attempt to defeat competitors.
</font>
Take some action of course, but that doesn't mean crying "waah, BA ain't playing fair" in their own PR is an effective course of action. In fact, if such whining has a negative effect on the image of the company, they would have acted against the interests of the company that they have responsibility to.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: