What are the real Platinums doing now?

Old Oct 14, 2003, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
What are the real Platinums doing now?

Out of curiosity, those with >75,000 base miles accrued for the '04 program year, what are you doing now with your flying?

Are you enjoying the perks of "eliteAccess" ...or are you off earning elite status with another carrier?

CO and the others don't seem to do much to maintain loyalty among the Platinums once they hit Platinum... especially those that hit 75k early in the year. With other carriers anxious for high-flying loyals, you'd think they'd be doing more or adding more perks to the elite of the elites. (Just look at all the complimentary Diamond-level promotions going on in the Hyatt/Hilton boards...)

With it being nearly impossible to redeem accrued mileage, I would think the airlines -CO included- would be throwing us other bones to stick with their carrier. A blue carpet and a velvet rope in the gate area just don't cut it.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 9:32 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
1. If you now hate CO, you have been comp'ed and are flying another carrier.
2. If you only qualify for one top tier Elite and you are flying domestically, you are probably flying CO for the upgrades.
3. If you only qualify for one top tier Elite and you are flying internationally - hmm. don't know.
4. If you are top tier on more than one airline and you haven't qualified for the other carrier yet, you are flying that carrier to requalify.
5. If you are top tier on more than one airline and you have qualified for the other already and you are flying domestically, you are probably flying CO for the upgrades.
6. If you are top tier on more than one airline and you have qualified for the other already and you are flying internationally, you are probably flying the other carrier because it has a better international upgrade policy.

For #3 and #6 if you are travelling in paid business, I guess you'd be flying CO.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 10:58 pm

Waiting to see if the other shoe drops for NW to align with CO and DL. Even without that, trying to determine the effects of CO.com not being able to book anything but the most routine routings on CO codeshares only, with no assistance in finding alternate routings, interlines or cheaper dates (a la HP's excellent booking engine).

[This message has been edited by sobay_terp (edited 10-14-2003).]
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, DL MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Weatherboy:
Out of curiosity, those with &gt;75,000 base miles accrued for the '04 program year, what are you doing now with your flying?

Are you enjoying the perks of "eliteAccess" ...or are you off earning elite status with another carrier?

</font>
I don't know if I qualify as a "real" platinum - my type is ususally referred to as a riff-raff Platinum on this board, but I am watching NW very closely too. If they follow DL's and now CO's lead, I guess I am off to UA or maybe even US. Until I know something I will continue accruing miles on CO I guess...

K

Old Oct 15, 2003, 3:37 am
R&R

I am working my way up to Gold from Silver with some weekend runs to places I usually want to R&R at.

Am enjoying some unannouced enhancements and getting upgrades, where I pick the seat, while using a few miles. Even watched passengers in coach upgraded as the door was closed.

Enjoyed improved meals and even some champagne. The Lobster tails was a nice start to dinner flights.

All of this on CO. But this is my experience, and others may have a different experience.

[This message has been edited by R&R (edited 10-15-2003).]

Old Oct 15, 2003, 5:46 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Now that I've requalified for Plat 04, I'm using UA for 2 trips from EWR to SFO and HNL. Fortunately, since they are long business trips my company allows me to travel up front--with those 2 plus a couple of others earlier this year, I'll make PE on UA. I still do have a couple more CO trips to LGW, ORD, LAX this year, so I'm looking at 100,000+ on CO. I'm also expecting to see those 'bargain' Biz fares offered to Europe/Asia at the end of the year, and I'll most likely take those on CO or NW.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 6:12 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by R&R:

Enjoyed improved meals and even some champagne. The Lobster tails was a nice start to dinner flights.

All of this on CO. But this is my experience, and others may have a different experience.

</font>
Your imagination may vary.

Old Oct 15, 2003, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: I do this for a living.
Why was the serving of caviar on my last IAH-EWR room only Beluga? And why just Krug champagne? Haven't they heard of Cristal?
Old Oct 15, 2003, 7:41 am
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
On a recent CO flight the FA addressed me by name and even thanked me for flying Continental Airlines!

I wonder if she mistook me for a CO star or Elite Access?
Old Oct 15, 2003, 7:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lensman:
3. If you only qualify for one top tier Elite and you are flying internationally - hmm. don't know.
</font>
Most likely regretting the choice made and moving to your category 1.

Old Oct 15, 2003, 8:36 am

This Platinum just started a transcon on to the Bay Area... on paid F on United!

ScumPass, your new policies are working wonders to drive revenue... to your competitors which your precious Gordo loves to badmouth!

Message to Gordo: You can say they suck, but that don't keep me from not only flying them, but in so doing, not flying Continental!

[This message has been edited by Jim Phillips (edited 10-15-2003).]
Old Oct 15, 2003, 9:23 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lensman:
[B]
</font>
Well as a NW Platinum in this situation, I'm using miles for my intl tickets as often as possible. If it's over $450, I'm using miles - especially when D class is available.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Flying to Germany on BA this weekend. First Class. Love that 180 degree recline.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:50 pm

Still waiting to hear: where are you going to go? Jet Blue? Go right ahead. Southwest? You want to be a nihilist- that's your privilege. Check out CAL stock, it soared 40% since it announced its new mileage scheme (in just one month). Check out the high fares they are going to charge this winter. I predict those of you leisure people (biz people are different) who depart will BEG TO GET BACK. CAL will survive as a premier airline, which is bad news for those of us who are Q and T types. Get your head out of your --------.At least make a credible threat, not: " "I'm taking the $260 I spend to go coast to coast- with an upgrade and 12,000 miles and going elsewhere." Gordo will hold the door open for u. Please save the perosnal attacks- i've been with CAL when it was at the bottom, and now, as sorry as you are to hear this its at or near the top.
Old Oct 16, 2003, 12:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by odnyc:
Check out CAL stock, it soared 40% since it announced its new mileage scheme (in just one month).</font>
1) CO's current stock price is reflective of its current performance, which does not factor in these changes. One could (and indeed, should) argue "why are you messing with something that's working?"

2) Just because a given "system" is successful doesn't mean it's the only way to be successful. Although its far from over, it would appear based on expectations that AA is indeed going to "turn the corner" with an entirely different perspective on how they reward the customer.

As far as I, an NW Plat, goes, if NW adopts the CO policies I will take all my flying to AA/partners/codeshares. And I can be pretty doggone effective at moving my business; I've managed to keep 100% of my business this year on NW/CO having moved over from AA, and I can be just as effective at taking my business back.

Steve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.