Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is "our" party over? Don't forget to close the door

Old Sep 18, 03, 8:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Having flown CO loyally for the past 10 years I called the Executive Office yesterday to let them know ---- this PLAT is gone --- the party is over!

I fly 5/6 times a year to HNL and I use my miles and paid fare for an upgrade -- but I will not play HoKeY and then pay a "service" fee and still hope I win the upgrade lottery.

I booked all my flights for next year -- First Class -- on NW out of LGA for $1200. rt --- no miles -- no lottery -- no gamble --confirmed FC at about the same price CO would now get --- H/K fare -- +$400 + 35,000 miles.

AA already comped me to Plat.
UA to EP or is it PE?

Time to close the door! The party is over!

Old Sep 18, 03, 9:21 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jefro:
AA already comped me to Plat.</font>
they didn't make you challenge?

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 09-18-2003).]
Old Sep 18, 03, 9:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Challenge?

Nope!

(is that something like -- you show me yours and I'll show you mine?)

No, they were very nice -- faxed in and got response.
Platinum.

Same with UA ---

In my book although CO was convenient -- the recent policy is not enticing to stay.

Old Sep 18, 03, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: I do this for a living.
Jefro, there's no reason to, as you said, show "loyalty" to Continental when they don't show any loyalty to you. Of course, that could be true of ANY business relationship. Spend your resources with the company that best suits your needs, and move on to another company when that is no longer true.

------------------
Continental Airlines and bankruptcy: The third time will be the charm!
Old Sep 18, 03, 10:28 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
My moma always has to remind me to turn off the
Old Sep 18, 03, 11:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jefro:

UA to EP or is it PE?

</font>
UA 1P is PE, or Premier Executive.

[This message has been edited by cab747 (edited 09-18-2003).]
Old Sep 18, 03, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pleasantly surprised that AA comped CO plat to AA Plat (mid-level, but the highest level AA will comp.) I don't think it's the norm, unless AA is actively tracking new people as a result of this specific change by CO-- although I do doubt that. In any case, unless things have changed very, very recently, most CO Plats can expect can expect to be comped AA gold and be enrolled simultaneously in the AA Plat challenge.
Old Sep 18, 03, 3:29 pm

Many of us talk big about leaving CO, and maybe really have left, I haven't yet committed to leave, but leaning towards NW for 2004/2005...I wonder if there are true and accurate statistics that show how many people really defected CO and/or how frequent flier programs increased on other airlines, esp. NW and maybe AA and UA. I'm going to see if the press or a travel mag (maybe Randy?) can find this out just from sheer curiosity.
Old Sep 18, 03, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
No, the party isn't over, it's just that the host has given you the finger, and asked you to take it like a man. Some revenue lackey from CO probably reads this board, and instead of doing whats right, is using it to screw the few who post to this website. And the reason its totally absurd, is that (& even Bethune will agree with this), there are few aspects in any ecomic model that are more elastic as the relationship of fares-to-seats-sold.
Old Sep 18, 03, 4:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1director:
Many of us talk big about leaving CO, and maybe really have left, I haven't yet committed to leave, but leaning towards NW for 2004/2005...I wonder if there are true and accurate statistics that show how many people really defected CO and/or how frequent flier programs increased on other airlines, esp. NW and maybe AA and UA. I'm going to see if the press or a travel mag (maybe Randy?) can find this out just from sheer curiosity.</font>
I don't think there is any credible source for this nor will CO share any information they have. However, a data point is that when UA changed their SWU conditions for 1Ks, they created another offer (called "great offer") to get data on how and whether their customers had defected and soon after followed up with "an apology offer" of 4 additional SWUs with very little restrictions. And the protests were lot less than over here.

The conclusion is that it is difficult for an airline itself to predict or guage the reaction to a significant change, and they may be surprised one way or the other at the result. They will certainly monitor the situation. Anyone who claims CO knows exactly what will happen with this change and has factored it in has drunk too much CO kool-aid to make sense.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: