Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

6am Flight out EWR- Best way to get there from DC?

Old Jun 30, 03, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive

Originating in DC between 7-10p and coming up either via train or bus on a Wednesday night. Train leaves me in Jersey City station and bus would leave me in Port Authority in NY. If I arrive at say 230am, is there Carey bus or train connection to EWR at that hour? Is taxi only option or should I try and get out of work earlier to spend the night before in hotel near EWR?

Wanted to ask those who know EWR best. I have only flown in early morning for connecting flights but realize I can not do this now. This would be a one way flight and can not warrant or reason the $230 one way fare night before plus hotel, especially when I go go transcon instead!

------------------
Going back to the bAAsics
Feed the world for FREE! One click at a time- www.thehungersite.com
Old Jun 30, 03, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Have you looked into one-way rental cars from DCA-EWR?
Old Jun 30, 03, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Couldn't the train leave you at EWR? There's an AMTRAK station there now and most NJ Transit trains stop there as well.

From NYC Penn Station you could get a train to EWR, but the schedule at that hour isn't too good. NJ Transit shows this:

Leave NY PENN: Arrive EWR:
12:42 AM - NEC 01:02 AM
01:37 AM - NJCL 01:57 AM
01:41 AM - NEC 02:02 AM
04:47 AM - NEC 05:07 AM

You could also take the PATH train from NYC to Newark Penn station and get a bus/cab from there to the airport.
Old Jun 30, 03, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by channa:
Have you looked into one-way rental cars from DCA-EWR?</font>
Weekday rentals are running $50-70/day plus tax, insurance, tolls and the whopping $90 drop off fee.

Don't mind waiting 4 hours for EWR flight but want to avoid trying to get taxi at 230am around Port Authority or being stranded at an abandoned train platform in Jersey City.

10pm train departing DC does not show EWR station stop, only Jersey City.

------------------

[This message has been edited by idealflyer (edited 06-30-2003).]
Old Jun 30, 03, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
I see - you want SUPER CHEAP.

Take the Chinatown bus - something like $15 from DC. In Manhattan, take the Path train to Newark Penn Station - that'll eat up some more time. From Newark Penn take either the bus or one of the above-mentioned trains. Spend the rest of the time inside the airport. There's really a limited amount of options if you're looking to pile on the savings.
Old Jun 30, 03, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AMTRAK train 198 leaves WAS at 9pm and arrives EWR at 12:00am.
Old Jun 30, 03, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can vouch for the Chinatown bus. A relative uses those all the time. They aren't too bad and they are CHEAP.
Old Jun 30, 03, 4:01 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by idealflyer:

10pm train departing DC does not show EWR station stop, only Jersey City.

</font>
What web site are you using?

Amtrak doesn't stop in Jersey City, but the PATH train does. Here is the Amtrak schedule:

http://www.amtrak.com/trains/timetable/w2.pdf

You could sit there for 2.5 hours and take the bus from there:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0062.pdf

or take a taxi, or take the Chinatown bus all the way from DC as others have noted.
Old Jun 30, 03, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Okay, I have the conclusion then...9pm train out of Union Station and stopping in EWR at midnight. Can spend rest of time in airport waiting around (don't we do this anyways at the airline's whims sometimes?!?)

I like China bus option but need reliability over price. I have never taken them before but am told they are late or sometimes cancel if not enough passengers. Also wish to avoid Greyhound like the plague.

Since I can't leave DC until after 7pm and to hold my fate on a bus that may or may not depart at midnight putting me into Manhattan at an ungodly hour to have to take a taxi then is not good. Equals out anyways as train one way is about $90 and bus one way is $20 plus $50+ cab to EWR at 4am, provided you can get one at that hour!

------------------
Old Jun 30, 03, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you want SUPER CHEAP and your flight is in over a week from today, put an ad on the craiglist

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/ or in the citypaper - there are a ton of random people that do trips back and forth up the east coast looking for someone to share the cost of gas...

i hitched rides from harrisonburg, va, to dc and back before, but that's only a 2hr ride. depends on how much adventure you like in your travels.
Old Jun 30, 03, 7:03 pm

There is a 10 PM train from D.C. arriving Newark Penn at 2 AM (does not stop at the airport). From Newark Penn you can take NJ transit or a cab.
Old Jun 30, 03, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LTTitanium, HH Diamond
That 10PM from Washington Union Station stops at Trenton about a quarter after one in the morning. About a quarter to four, NJ Transit runs a local that stops at EWR about a quarter to five. Two and a half hours at the Trenton station would not be that bad, and this may well be the best alternative for iealflyer.
Old Jun 30, 03, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the input, this starts to look more like the Amtrak forum! Sticking to the train, either 9 or 10p departure plus I get to snag CO miles still, right? Will look into Trenton option as well. As I said before, reliability is more important than price. If there was a flight that left DC at 3am and arrived at EWR an hour later, I would book it.

bhatnasx- would've been a good idea when I was hitching rides in college but prefer not to ride with strangers at 2am, if I could count on someone driving then!

If anybody happens to be in EWR between 3-6am, let's meet up for coffee!

------------------
Old Jun 30, 03, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by idealflyer:
Weekday rentals are running $50-70/day plus tax, insurance, tolls and the whopping $90 drop off fee.
</font>
Not quite. One-way DCA-EWR with Hertz and AAA discount is $57.59 for 1 day midweek, unlimited free miles for a compact with no drop fee. Midsize is $62. With taxes is $72 and $77 respectively.

How much is Amtrak?
Old Jul 1, 03, 12:33 am

You can get a one-way Dollar compact for $32.99, dates being 7/9-7/10.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: