Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental Airlines to Add Service Fee for City Ticket Office Transactions

Old Apr 25, 03, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG

HOUSTON, April 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) today announced a new service charge for customers using the airline's network of city ticket offices (CTO).

Beginning today, CTOs will assess a $10 service charge per transaction when customers purchase tickets or change reservations for existing tickets where change fees are not assessed. The fee is competitive and in line with those charged by most travel agencies. Service fees will not be assessed to Continental customers who purchase or change tickets via continental.com or at a Continental Airlines airport ticket counter.

"It is increasingly important that we offer our customers products that they value and are willing to pay for," said a Continental spokesperson. "Since the fall of 2001, most of our competitors have closed their CTOs or assessed transaction fees for CTO services. Our approach enables us to continue to offer this service, which offers value to customers, and do so in a way that is cost-effective."

Separately, Continental today announced that lease expirations have resulted in the closure of six city ticket offices in New York (1), Los Angeles (2), San Francisco (1), Phoenix (1) and Lisle, Ill. (1). An additional six offices -- in Houston (2), New York (2), Orlando (1), and Denver (1) -- will close by June, at the expiration of those CTO leases. Continental anticipates operating its remaining 35 CTOs.

Continental Airlines is the world's seventh-largest airline and has more than 2,200 daily departures. With 130 domestic and 95 international destinations, Continental has the broadest global route network of any U.S. airline, including extensive service throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia. Continental has hubs serving New York, Houston, Cleveland and Guam, and carries approximately 41 million passengers per year on the newest jet fleet among major U.S. airlines. With 48,000 employees, Continental is one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in America. For more company information, visit continental.com.

SOURCE Continental Airlines

Old Apr 25, 03, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
A fair charge given the resources required to operate a CTO, IMHO.

------------------
Thank you for choosing Continental Airlines, a proud member of the SkyTeam Alliance.
Old Apr 25, 03, 2:22 pm
Suspended

I don't think this is a fair charge. I think it is fair if the CTO is closed because of lack of business. What's the difference between the airport counter and the CTO? CTO folks sometimes are experienced but not always.

Some day, they will charge at the airport counter except if you go to the one at IAH. For free service, you must fly to Houston. Oh, shouldn't give Gordo ideas.
Old Apr 25, 03, 2:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by seat 50J:
I don't think this is a fair charge. I think it is fair if the CTO is closed because of lack of business. What's the difference between the airport counter and the CTO? CTO folks sometimes are experienced but not always.

[snip]

</font>
...? It's a convenience fee. If you don't wanna pay it, go to the airport. Giving more options is hardly unfair.
Old Apr 25, 03, 2:43 pm

I agree 100%. In fact, they should increase the fee. Who are these stupid people who think they should be able to buy a companies product without paying for the privlege?

I can see it now, admission fees to enter a grocery store, Rental fees for sitting in a car dealer's show room, etc.

If only these businesses would run themselves like the airlines, imagine where this economy could be!
Old Apr 25, 03, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cardcounter:
I agree 100%. In fact, they should increase the fee. Who are these stupid people who think they should be able to buy a companies product without paying for the privlege?

I can see it now, admission fees to enter a grocery store, Rental fees for sitting in a car dealer's show room, etc.

If only these businesses would run themselves like the airlines, imagine where this economy could be!
</font>
The alternative is for CO to match its competitors by eliminating CTO's altogether.
Old Apr 25, 03, 2:47 pm

Don't pay attention to cardcounter - he's been sarcastically baiting here and on AA. Nothing constructive to add.
Old Apr 25, 03, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
That's right. A $10.00 fee will be tacked on to every Fisto the Clown™ doll purchased at a Fisto the Clown™ retail outlet instead of from one of our Fisto the Clown™ factories.

Typical low-class Continental move.
Old Apr 25, 03, 2:52 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
That's right. A $10.00 fee will be tacked on to every Fisto the Clown™ doll purchased at a Fisto the Clown™ retail outlet instead of from one of our Fisto the Clown™ factories.

Typical low-class Continental move.
</font>
Spiff:

And just how often do you frequent AA's CTOs???
Old Apr 25, 03, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG
I personally do use CTO. There is one here in NYC at Penn Station.

I use them to grab a quick boarding pass or use a bump voucher towards a reservation.

The 2 people there are NOT the friendliest or most helpful. Both are 20+ year employees of CO and are the epitome of arrogance. You would have thought Gordon gave birth to them. But it saves me time at the airport.

I remember one time I showed up just as they were closing. The guy was doing a "daily transaction signout" sheet. They sold 6 tickets for a total value of $2400. They probably do that in 10 mins on the website.
Old Apr 25, 03, 2:54 pm

Let's see, open locations that are easy for the customer to get to? Naw, charge 'em for it! It's not like they can go somewhere else.

Like I said, can someone give examples of other businesses that operate in this manner?

I am think of government monopoly like the driver license dept., but can't come up with any money-making private enterprises.
Old Apr 25, 03, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
And I'm sure six months from now, Continental will then issue another press release saying, "Due to the fact that customers do not utilize our CTO's (because we charge extra for the privilege), we will be closing them." Why not just do away with them all now, and not go through this charade?

Old Apr 25, 03, 3:18 pm

Because then they can point to the poor utilization of CTOs as costing them money, and closing them is another cost saving move that smart management has identified in its quest to become profitable. Might even get a raise out of the deal.
Old Apr 25, 03, 3:24 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Morrissey:
And I'm sure six months from now, Continental will then issue another press release saying, "Due to the fact that customers do not utilize our CTO's (because we charge extra for the privilege), we will be closing them." Why not just do away with them all now, and not go through this charade?

</font>
Because unlike AA, UA, and others, CO is at least trying to maintain some semblance of being a "full-service" airline.

Old Apr 25, 03, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Louisville, KY has no CTOs. Plus, I'm not far from SDF.

However, when I lived in Boulder, I did use the UA CTO there. And I used the DL CTO in Denver until it closed. DEN was about an hour drive in decent weather/traffic from Boulder.

While I was in SCL, I did visit the AA CTO there. I smiled at the AAgent and showed her my EXP card. She smiled back. That was the extent of the transaction as I had no AA business to conduct...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by avek00:
Spiff:

And just how often do you frequent AA's CTOs???
</font>

Search this Thread