Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental Airlines to Add Service Fee for City Ticket Office Transactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental Airlines to Add Service Fee for City Ticket Office Transactions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2003, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cardcounter:
1. Banks (get charged for using a teller rather than the ATM or mail)
Tried it, eliminated it in most places. And the no charge was just for certain ATMs. Try using an ATM outside of the system, and you will find even higher charges at both ends of the transactions. Of course, this teller fee is only for transactions that can be performed at an ATM (deposit/withdraw/transfer), there isn't a fee for transactions that a teller has to do. And why was it eliminated? Because Banks found there customers going someplace else. Someone might want to point this out to CO.

2. Some electronics and computer retailers (me to salesman: "So you won't even match YOUR OWN online prices?!?!?")
Because buying online means the product is shipped from the warehouse, directly to you. No retail space overhead, no salesman, etc. Aren't airline tickets sold over the internet usually cheaper? Will this same retailer charge more for its north of town location, and refuse to match the prices at its south of town or downtown locations? Didn't think so.
</font>
1. Bank teller fees did stick in some way in many areas. The aggressive banks that tried to impose a fee for each transaction mostly rescinded them, but many banks now impose limits on free teller transactions (e.g., any more than 3 a month, and you pay). How well this stuck depends on what competition is like in the area. Most airlines don't offer CTO services anymore, so CO has very little competition for CTO services (most airlines no longer offer them at all). I have a feeling this will stick, although they should waive the fee for full-fare tickets.

2. This is called zoned pricing, and it's actually quite common. Supermarkets are very good at it, as are mass retailers. Pricing zones can be as large as an entire metropolitan area, or as small as just a few miles (or even a small suburban pocket that happens to have lots of competition). I can drive to two different Targets from my house (one is 2 miles south, the other is 4 miles north). The one north of my house is less expensive, presumably because it competes with the Kmart across the street. The one south of me has no such competition. Many chain store managers are empowered to alter shelf prices on items that for competitive factors. Not only does this help a store be more competitive, it also reports back to corporate what competitors are charging for the items.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 11:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Scion:
Full-service to where:
LHR, I think not.
</font>
CO has no control over this. Slots at LHR are controlled by the Air Treaty between the UK and USA. Only UA, AA, BA and VS can fly to LHR to and from the USA. That's why DL, US, CO, NW and the rest go to LGW.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Scion:
Australia, I think not.</font>
Technically, they do fly to Cairns, but it is true; their AU coverage is weak.

Hong Kong, not any longer.</font>
Heard of SARS? Demand in the toilet; CX is getting creamed since HKG is their hub. EWR-HKG will return when the SARS fears subside. I don't see the business logic in sending a 777 10% full to an area which the WHO has listed as DNT (do not travel). Also, the risk of exposing your employees.

Santiago, Chile, I think not.</font>
If there is no demand for a route and it is unprofitable. Again business logic. Having flights to major European and Asian destinations a must; Santiago is WAY down on the marquee destinations, if it is unprofitable.

Basically, a couple of cheap shots. Hey when CO screws up, put the pressure on and call them on it. These examples though are less then sound.

- HobokenFlyer

[This message has been edited by HobokenFlyer (edited 04-28-2003).]
Old Apr 28, 2003, 11:17 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cardcounter:
1. Banks (get charged for using a teller rather than the ATM or mail)
Tried it, eliminated it in most places. And the no charge was just for certain ATMs. Try using an ATM outside of the system, and you will find even higher charges at both ends of the transactions. Of course, this teller fee is only for transactions that can be performed at an ATM (deposit/withdraw/transfer), there isn't a fee for transactions that a teller has to do. And why was it eliminated? Because Banks found there customers going someplace else. Someone might want to point this out to CO.

2. Some electronics and computer retailers (me to salesman: "So you won't even match YOUR OWN online prices?!?!?")
Because buying online means the product is shipped from the warehouse, directly to you. No retail space overhead, no salesman, etc. Aren't airline tickets sold over the internet usually cheaper? Will this same retailer charge more for its north of town location, and refuse to match the prices at its south of town or downtown locations? Didn't think so.

3. Restaurants (me to waiter: "So I can't order items from the take-out menu!?")
If you are trying to order items from the take out menu and eat them in the resturant (and therfore use the resturant services free) then no you can't order from the takeout menu. Nice try, not the same thing at all. If you are eating at the resturant and want to order from the take out menu, for items to take out when you leave, then sure. If the waiter won't allow you to do this, then you have located a future airlines management type.</font>
Please explain the difference between CO's decision to charge for CTO services and these examples of price segmentation.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 7:28 am

1) A Complete Failure. Banks still imposing these fees are telling you they don't want retail business, but will do it if you insist.

2) This is an example of a different distribution channel. I don't expect airlines to match taxi cab fares.

3) This example is similar to expecting FC service and perks when buying a coach ticket.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 7:46 am

Of course I am all wrong about this. Obviously the management minds at CO know much more about this than little old me, the stupid customer.

What is CO stock trading at today?
Sorry, that can't be management's fault either, must be those stupid customers again.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JeremyZ:
Don't pay attention to cardcounter - he's been sarcastically baiting here and on AA. Nothing constructive to add.</font>
I'll pay attention to him. I think he's being very constructive at least on this particular thread. He is showing the absurdity of charging people a fee for buying a company's product. If CTO's cannot make money, close them down. It is idiocy to charge people to buy your product. His taking this argument to other industries highlights why he thinks CO is making a mistake.

Old May 1, 2003, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Definitely a part of the nickel-and-diming trend. Could accelerate the demise of CTOs, which could be part of the intent.
Old May 1, 2003, 5:46 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
1) A Complete Failure. Banks still imposing these fees are telling you they don't want retail business, but will do it if you insist.
</font>
My point is that many banks tried and some still do impose this fee. Your question was whether management at any other business would be stupid enough to try this stunt. I say: Yes, management in other businesses were stupid enough to try this, but when customers rejected the stunt, they reversed their course. My point is that management or marketing errors of this sort are not limited to the airline industry. It remains to be seen whether management will have to reverse course on the CTO charge.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
2) This is an example of a different distribution channel. I don't expect airlines to match taxi cab fares.
</font>
Many retailers in the categories I mention have the same prices for both distribution channels. Even at the same retailer I mentioned, most prices are the same across distribution channels. In a different store, I can shop at the store, order online to receive online-only prices, but specify in-store pickup to avoid waiting for shipping.

Besides, I would argue that online/phone fulfillment is a different distribution channel from CTO fulfillment. In fact, much more so than airline vs. taxi, which is actually an example of a different product rather than a different distribution channel.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
3) This example is similar to expecting FC service and perks when buying a coach ticket.</font>
Most restaurants I go to will quote the same prices for carry-out vs. eat-in. The food is the same. I would argue that the product is not sufficiently differentiated to merit price differences.

On the other hand, even if I lose the argument about carry-out vs. eat-in and concede that they are different products, one could argue that most restaurants are giving away first class (eat-in) for the same price as coach (take-out). One might then say that these restaurant managers are as stupid as airline management for not adequately differentiating their fees for different service levels. Thus, restaurant management is also as stupid as airline management. I would still put forward restaurant management as a valid #3 candidate for bad management.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joebeenyc
Separately, Continental today announced that lease expirations have resulted in the closure of six city ticket offices in New York (1), Los Angeles (2), San Francisco (1), Phoenix (1) and Lisle, Ill. (1). An additional six offices -- in Houston (2), New York (2), Orlando (1), and Denver (1) -- will close by June, at the expiration of those CTO leases. Continental anticipates operating its remaining 35 CTOs.
The CO Washington DC City Ticket Office (1725 K St, NW) has been closed (sign on the door). I did not see an announcement and it is not included in the above list. Are more closing as well?
Old Jun 9, 2004, 3:03 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Originally Posted by cova
The CO Washington DC City Ticket Office (1725 K St, NW) has been closed (sign on the door). I did not see an announcement and it is not included in the above list. Are more closing as well?

The ticket office reps were great to work with. It looked like they hated charging the fee, especially when NW just next to them did not.

Is the NW half of the office still open??
Old Jun 10, 2004, 7:15 am

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by channa
For the most part, why would anyone need to use a CO CTO anyway? The last time I got a paper cert from CO was in 2001, and that was only because the printer at that station was busted. Every other cert I've received from CO has been electronic, redeemable on the web or over the phone. While the CTOs were convenient, they weren't as convenient as sitting on my a** at home.
I use the CTO in Sugar Land to snag exit row seats months in advance. Its close to my office so I can run over after I've booked a ticket and get moved. And, most importantly, they wave the $10 charge if you're elite.

FWIW

DLM
Old Jun 10, 2004, 9:20 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Viajero Joven

Is the NW half of the office still open??
The NW half of the DC CTO is also closed. Must have just happened, as the furniture, terminals, etc. are still all in place. Note on the door gives the 800 number.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:44 am

does this still apply if i booked and ticketed a qf reward, received the paper tickets in the mail, and subsequently received a call that there had been a schedule change and i need to go to a ticket office to get the tickets re-issued? am i supposed to wait in line at the airport to do this instead??
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:13 am

These CTO charges are basically adding a change penalty to all the refundable fares out there. I would think that CO would want to encourage people to spring for the famous $1200 EWR-SFO one-way by at least assuring them that it is a fully refundable, penalty-less ticket. If they are so concerned about assessing a CTO use fee, then why not distribute that cost into the fare, say make it $1210 (assuming a worst case of each passenger visiting a CTO once to make a change). It makes sense to assess such fees for low yield, discount fares, but adding the fee to a BF fare runs against the grain of why full fares are even justified to exist.

Also, I like the inverted explanation in the same press release that leases expiring triggered the closing of CTOs! Why not just come out and honestly say they can't afford to operate them???
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by channa
For the most part, why would anyone need to use a CO CTO anyway? The last time I got a paper cert from CO was in 2001, and that was only because the printer at that station was busted. Every other cert I've received from CO has been electronic, redeemable on the web or over the phone. While the CTOs were convenient, they weren't as convenient as sitting on my a** at home.
While living in Pasadena, CA, I was fortunate enough to live a few blocks away from a CO CTO. I started going there to pick up my tickets. Eventually, I got to know the desk clerks well enough that they would provide various incentives for my continued good business -- allowing me to apply coupons when they really shouldn't have, offering coupons, offering better itineraries, informing me when promotions came up by telephone, tracking my trip while I was on it to make sure there weren't problems (which saved my ... in a big way, once), and so forth. They went beyond the call of duty and in return, I did my best to bring them every dollar of revenue I could. They were especially helpful with my international itineraries which often were painfully complex (eg, 11 segments in 3 weeks). I'd have gladly paid a $10 fee then for that level of service.

Then, I moved to Boston, and started frequenting the CTO downtown. While the people were still quite friendly they weren't as motivated for my business, despite my overtures. They even screwed up a couple of tickets badly and failed to take any substantive corrective action. My business, it seemed, was not desired. There is no way I'd pay $10 for that as they were less informed, or motivated, than the phone operators. So, now, I book on line.

The conclusion, why would you want or need a CTO? Not everything is a straightforward ticket and sometimes you actually need to talk to a person. Doing things like that face-to-face where you can build a business relationship is far more pleasant and, in the long-term, productive than over the phone. The airport offices don't have the same small staff, nor the same levels of motivation (at least as the Pasadena CTO). But, this level of customer service is gone, at least from CO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.