Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Tax on transfering AmEx Miles then tax on using them - Double dipping?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: COPP/UAGS SPG Platinum, USAir Gold Hyatt Diamond, Amex Centurion

Perhaps I don't understand what an "airline excise fee" is - $50 to transfer 200,000 miles - then I'll get him again when I use them, right? What's the difference?
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by geekfactory
What's the difference?
Night and day.
The money you pay to Amex reimburses Amex (in part) for the excise tax it pays to the government when it buys miles from CO.

The taxes you pay when you acquire your award ticket are PFCs and security fees, and have nothing to do with federal excise taxes.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:34 am
Suspended

Perhaps I don't understand what an "airline excise fee" is - $50 to transfer 200,000 miles - then I'll get him again when I use them, right? What's the difference?
Thats outreagous. $50 for 200,000 miles. If I was you I would transfer those 200,000 miles into Crazs acct and let him pay that $50 and be steamed about it.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:58 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Think of the children.

Forget Craz, transfer the points to the J.Edward's account and give yourself a pat on the back for helping out a needy student. Afterall, there is no gift greater than the gift of giving.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: COPP/UAGS SPG Platinum, USAir Gold Hyatt Diamond, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Night and day.
The money you pay to Amex reimburses Amex (in part) for the excise tax it pays to the government when it buys miles from CO.

The taxes you pay when you acquire your award ticket are PFCs and security fees, and have nothing to do with federal excise taxes.
Gotcha. Thanks. Either way, grr.

How long after making the deposit until CO's 25% for AmEx miles promo kicks in? The miles showed up in, I kid you not, 3 minutes.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA, Hertz, Avis, Marriott, Hilton HH
It's $0.0004 per mile or $0.0004 per TWO miles if your a Membership Miles Options account. I'm not sure what that is but here's the text from the AMex site...

Membership Rewards points are not refundable once transferred.
You may only convert points into a participating program held by you or an additional Cardmember linked to your account.

You are subject to the Terms & Conditions of the frequent customer programs of the participating airlines and hotels.

Some restrictions and blackout dates apply. Please contact the airline or hotel directly.

OnePass terms and conditions apply.

For each point transferred into the Frequent Flyer program of a U.S. airline, a fee of $0.0004 per point*, with a maximum fee of $50, will be charged to your Card account. We charge this fee to offset the excise tax we must pay on such transfers. The fee may be more or less than the actual amount of the excise tax we pay on any individual transfer.

*The fee is $0.0004 per two points transferred for Membership Rewards Options enrollees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.