AT&T Complimentary OnePass Silver Elite

Old Jan 25, 2003, 6:05 am
ATC
Original Poster

Location: Boston, Freefall: Chairman's Preferred -->Steerage Status
AT&T Complimentary OnePass Silver Elite

I received a postcard yesterday offering 1,000 Bonus Miles and a complimentary 6 month Silver Elite status if I switch to AT&T long distance. The Silver Elite status is extendable if I remain with AT&T.

I am not familiar with the Continental elite benefits, and only fly Continental a couple of times a year. I am already Gold Elite on Northwest. I am assuming that with status on Northwest, Silver on Continental wouldn't really do anything for me. Is this correct?
Old Jan 25, 2003, 6:15 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC

(All anger directed to CO, not you ATC.)

Your assumption is correct, using CO silver while having NW gold would be a negative ala upgrades. If you want to build miles on CO (which, given their award availability does not make much sense) then use the silver CO card.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 6:20 am
ATC
Original Poster

I assume the frustration is due to the Continental's largesse in dispensing complimentary elite status? If so, I wouldn't worry too much. The offer is linked to the AT&T "Unlimited" plan at $19.95/mo. Though the plan makes sense for me, I don't see a huge rush to take advantage of the offer.

Am I correct that Continental does not offer SWU's? I don't see it on the web site, though I know some other carriers give them out as an undocumented benefit.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 7:00 am

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
Are you kidding me? SWU's?? I've had my laugh for the day! Sorry, no SWU's at any level. I'm PLAT.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 7:06 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Silver Elite status for switching long distance.

Right.

There's something REEEEEALLLLLLYYYYYYYYY broken in CO marketing.

Or, perhaps this is just their admission of how worthless their elite status is.

[This message has been edited by NJDavid (edited 01-25-2003).]
Old Jan 25, 2003, 9:06 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
They gotta get new elites to work up through the system to replace all of the Platinums who have "graduated" and moved on.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 12:38 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Amazing. Simply amazing.

They'll sell status (wonder what AT&T pays 'em) to their marketing partners, and give it away to conquer flyers from other carriers.

THEN, they'll b**** that the Elite flyers expect too much, and that they don't produce enough revenue! Well what the h*** do you expect when you show us that the Elite program isn't worth EARNING! Are we just supposed to ignore your continued devaluation of the program?!?!?!?!?!

------------------
Check out the truth about OnePass at www.nonepass.com
Old Jan 25, 2003, 2:18 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Pathetic, just pathetic. Are they really that desperate for revenue???
Old Jan 25, 2003, 10:34 pm

Is this something publically advertised on the Continental website?
Old Jan 26, 2003, 7:09 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cab747:
Is this something publically advertised on the Continental website?</font>
I think ATC got it as a targeted promo.

Old Jan 26, 2003, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by snake:
They gotta get new elites to work up through the system to replace all of the Platinums who have "graduated" and moved on. </font>
I don't often agree with you snake, but I have to say this one put a smile on my face.

It's refereshing to see someone that can use humor to express their point of view instead of just using an ad hominem attack at every opportunity.

[This message has been edited by Steve M (edited 01-26-2003).]
Old Jan 26, 2003, 10:24 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Thanks Steve,

Although as a marketing serpent, I have to say that I think it's probably a smart move, even if it's a slap in the face of "Butt in seat" Silver Elites.

It's a targeted promo, they probably got the lists from car rental and hotel programs of people who travel a lot and get credited to other airline programs. I'll bet that it's going to people like ATC, who travel enough to have status on other airlines, and would qualify for a comp if they asked for it.

It's probably a freebee for CO, with AT&T picking up the tab for all the promotional expenses.

[This message has been edited by snake (edited 01-26-2003).]
Old Jan 26, 2003, 12:45 pm
ATC
Original Poster

Yes, it was targeted. For background, I am top tier with US Airways, second tier with Northwest. I have been a member of OnePass since the People's Express days. I think they just selected a subset of OnePass members to target. The offer starts off: "Special offer for select OnePass members. Continental Airlines OnePass and AT&T have teamed up to give OnePass members a special offer...."

I was Silver Elite (but never used it) for a few months several years ago resulting from a promo aimed at readership of a work trade magazine. I don't know if that was the trigger for this offer or not.

To make everyone breathe easier, I am not going to take them up on the offer. I simply don't fly Continental enough. It's not a bad deal, though. My read of the offer gives you Silver Elite for six months for $19.95, one year for $119.70.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 12:16 pm

Silver elite status can also be purchased on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3253
Old Jan 30, 2003, 12:19 pm

And don't you love the $5,000 value assigned to this "Elite" level!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.