Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO FT rumor. DEN airport officials in IAH last week.

Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG

Was on a recent COEX flight and a very senior CO flight attendant told me the following.

Officials from Denver airport were in Houston last week meeting with CO executives. Apparently they are negotiating a return to DEN should United go belly up.

Contingency plans would involve moving some excess RJ capacity from CLE to DEN initially and "test the waters" Depending on yields CO would then introduce mainline service and "perhaps" use DEN as a jump point to far east destinations.

She said she heard the info from a friend at corporate who actually saw the Denver people visit.

Of course, I wouldn't take this rumor as true. But all the points she outlined do make sense. She actually believed the source she was getting the info from.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Platinum
With UA liquidation rumors, it only make sense for Denver to be courting CO; plus anyone else who will listen.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 10:13 am

Programs: Gold on Continental; Diamond at Hilton & Hyatt
I think passengers who originate in or use CLE as a preferred connection should start to make some noise!! Seems like CO treats CLE like a redheaded stepchild.

Cleveland CO users, you better do something before CLE ends up like Columbus!!!

Just my two sense
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by joebeenyc:
... "perhaps" use DEN as a jump point to far east destinations. </font>
pure speculation at this point for sure, but an interesting thesis. I certainly hope UA does not go under.

If the war is over and done fast, oil prices drop back to mid-low 20s and travel picks up (meaning our beloved industry is on the road to a quasi-recovery), perhaps CO wants to expand it's far east destination offerings beyong HK and NRT?

That would be a good move, and Denver is a good geographical jump point for that...except most of the passengers would be connecting. I dont think that market offers much in terms of local traffic for the far east.

Once again, pure speculation, but it's interesting to see 'how the wheels are turning' in the strategic planning department at CO.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:41 am

I'm sure they are talking to all of the majors at this point, although CO seems an obvious choice. And no, it wouldn't surprise me to see some planes allocated from CLE - that airport has the smallest local market of CO's hubs, plus between CVG, DTW, and PIT (not to mention ORD), there is plenty of competition for regional connecting traffic.

That said, XJT has an enormous number of scheduled ERJ deliveries over the next years. If loads are still not rising at the existing hubs, plenty of room to allocate the new planes to a new hub.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 12:09 pm

Too bad DEN isn't configured to handle all those regional jets (which is why UA is proposing, even in their sorry state, to build a $25 million addition to Concourse B).

CRAPINENTAL AIRLINES ANNOUNCES DIRECT SERVICE FROM NY LAGUARDIA TO LOS ANGELES
DENVER, March 18 (Reuters) – Crapinental Airlines, the crappiest airline within the United States, announced direct service today from New York’s LaGuardia Airport to Los Angles International Airport. The flight will operate through Denver International Airport.

“Even though we've served the New York region directly to Los Angeles for many years, we'll be the first ones to admit we've been BSing - Newark isn't New York. So we’re pleased to give you, our valued consumers, the opportunity to sit in our comfortable, spacious Embraer Regional Jet for eight hours en rute from New York to Los Angeles, or vice versa,” said Gordon Butane, CEO of Continental.

To celebrate the new service, Continental is offering a one-time bonus of 1,000 OnePass Miles** to each OnePass member who flies the new service. Introductory round-trip fares start at just $198 roundtrip*.

*fares do not include Federal excise tax, segment tax, passenger facility charge, September 11 security fee; and mandated service fees for services by a professional flight attendant, “enhanced” features fee, the cost of doing business at DEN subsidy and passenger supplement for Butane’s vechical and house leases.

**vaild for for tickets booked in A or Y class only.

[This message has been edited by IndustrialPatent (edited 03-19-2003).]
Old Mar 19, 2003, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kcctravel:
I think passengers who originate in or use CLE as a preferred connection should start to make some noise!! Seems like CO treats CLE like a redheaded stepchild.

Just my two sense
</font>
Welp...like most people in CLE we fly NWA now adays....Most of us will take a 9 over an RJ anyday!
Old Mar 19, 2003, 7:50 pm

Thats sad. People always complain about not having something! how do you except better service if you dont use the service you currently have? Suppose there was no hub. I know that people in cleveland would like more two class jet service, but if you're flying to dtw to change planes of course CO would reduce service. Maybe a meeting with CLE users and CO is in order. Earlier today I read the 4 people from FlyerTalk meet with detla executive about service. Setting up a meeting like that in CLE with CO officials may help. I mean do you really not want to have a hub. Remember how people felt when the browns left town?? Hell, I know lots of people in columbus who are pissed that America West is leaving.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by socrates:
Originally posted by kcctravel:

Just my two sense
</font>
Welp...like most people in CLE we fly NWA now adays....Most of us will take a 9 over an RJ anyday!
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:52 pm

kcc-

I wouldn't worry about it. According to the Hopkins site, 59.7% of passengers take CO. Only 4.1% use NW.

Most people out of CLE still do fly CO much more often than NW. Dude's just yankin' your chain.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:55 pm

that website is so out of date! I dont trust it. lol

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
I wouldn't worry about it. According to the Hopkins site, 59.7% of passengers take CO. Only 4.1% use NW.

Most people out of CLE still do fly CO much more often than NW. Dude's just yankin' your chain.[/B]</font>
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:55 pm

KccTravel
I hope more people feel like you! Please let your voice be heard. I love my CLE base & would hate to lose it. Its just so nice to be able to take direct flights to my destinations
Old Mar 20, 2003, 5:30 am

well i'll post this in the Cleve Hopkins airport area of FlyerTalk.

I'm from CLE and travel back home atleast once a month and when I travel I try to purposely connect thru cleveland.

Tell a friend, let your voices be heard!
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I will connect in DTW or MSP before I take an RJ from CLE - DFW and thats what happened to me once.. never again.. I go around CLE on any route over 90 minutes on an RJ... CLE takes this to the extreme ends of the spectrum with some of their RJ routes. I don't blame CLE based customers choosing connections on another airline rather than fly CO jungle jets for a 1000 plus miles
Old Mar 21, 2003, 7:43 am
Suspended

TrojanHorse,

We here in CLE are sorry you feel that way.

Let me first say we appreciate and business you have given us in the past and hope to serve you again in the NEAR future. We are serious about running a FIRST CLASS OPERATION here in CLE and are listening to what our customers have to say about overall airport operations. You are NOT the first to mention RJ service and we plan on addressing that situation VERY SERIOUSLY.

This is not an excuse but, in the state air travel is in RJ service is better than NO service. However, we as well as our customers feel that there are limits!!!

We definitely do not want to lose any passengers to our neighbors to the North or in any other direction. We are in the process of talking with all of our airport partners and reminding them we are not a CONNECTION but a DESTINATION and our passengers deserve a superior product, no matter what price they are paying!

With that said, please feel free to leave us further comments in the FlyerTalk airport section. In addition please let other passenger know we are HERE and LISTENING!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TrojanHorse:
I will connect in DTW or MSP before I take an RJ from CLE - DFW and thats what happened to me once.. never again.. I go around CLE on any route over 90 minutes on an RJ... CLE takes this to the extreme ends of the spectrum with some of their RJ routes. I don't blame CLE based customers choosing connections on another airline rather than fly CO jungle jets for a 1000 plus miles</font>
Old Mar 22, 2003, 1:39 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Lets hope CO expands in DEN. Kick UA out of terminal A right now and give the gates to CO!

CO, along with their free first class upgrades would be a great benefit. Think they might be able to get a few UA's best customers who fly primarily domestic?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.