Questions Only For Continental FT Chat

Old Jan 24, 03, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Questions Only For Continental FT Chat

This thread has been established to allow fellow FT'ers the chance to post questions for Mark Sullivan (Director, Business Travel Marketing, Continental OnePass) and Mark Bergsrud (Vice President of Marketing, Continental OnePass), to hopefully be answered in the live chat on March 8.
This thread is ONLY for questions, and any discussion about the question should be kept at a minimum. Please, no complaints or discussions about bad service, just questions.

* Northwest has had some GREAT mileage bonus opportunities over the past year, Turbo Miles, Mileage Mania, etc. When will we see some bonus opportunities like this from Continental?

Questions Only Please - Do Not Respond To Others Postings!!!

[This message has been edited by thezipper (edited 01-24-2003).]
Old Jan 24, 03, 4:16 pm

Ticketing Elite Non-Elite

15+ days 0.00 USD 0.00 USD

Within 4-14 Days 35.00 USD 50.00 USD

3 Days or Less 50.00 USD 75.00 USD

I'd like Continental to justify expedite fees for award travel. Given that these are executed electronically (or certainly can be by elite members), I am at a loss to understand why there should be any fee for Express Delivery of Rewards. I know that American Airlines charges these fees but I find them onerous and totally without merit or justification. In reality, they serve to devalue my frequent flyer miles.
What additional cost does Continental (or any airline for that matter) incur for an award redeemed for a flight tomorrow versus a flight in sixteen days? (Particulary, when I redeem the award online without the benefit of any human intervention.)

Old Jan 24, 03, 4:23 pm

Although I think we *can* ask these questions at the time of the chat, I'd like to know:

Since CO is vastly increasing the RJ proportion of its fleet, is the airline looking to develop creative ways to reward its elite flyers when there's no FC cabin?

(Edited for grammar)

[This message has been edited by JeremyZ (edited 01-24-2003).]
Old Jan 24, 03, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LITAAD:
I'd like Continental to justify expedite fees for award travel. Given that these are executed electronically (or certainly can be by elite members), I am at a loss to understand why there should be any fee for Express Delivery of Rewards. I know that American Airlines charges these fees but I find them onerous and totally without merit or justification. In reality, they serve to devalue my frequent flyer miles.
What additional cost does Continental (or any airline for that matter) incur for an award redeemed for a flight tomorrow versus a flight in sixteen days? (Particulary, when I redeem the award online without the benefit of any human intervention.)
</font>
The fee is obviously to recover losses from people that would otherwise be purchasing last minute tickets.

They are trying to increase revenue. You don't understand that?

I think that interesting questions that could yield a good response like JeremyZ's question could make this chat very useful. If it's going to be obvious things like, "Why are you trying to make more money? I like to spend less money and get more, can you accomodate me?" then it's going to get very old, very fast.

[This message has been edited by dbaker (edited 01-24-2003).]
Old Jan 24, 03, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA Rif Raf (Defrocked 1K), CO Lead (Former Plat), QF Bronze
1. Why does Continental consider it preferable to give away their BusinessFirst seats to employees, rather than sell them for miles to their Elites (or any other flyers, for that matter) on discount fares?

2. What is the advantage of 5 Days Advance EUA Upgrades, when all First Class seats are withheld until just prior to flight time on many flights, even those flights with near-empty FC cabins, and no realistic chance of selling that many FC seats?

3. Why does Continental refuse to increase the pitch on what is considered one of the worst Coach seats in the sky, especially since both the 1st & 2nd largest airlines in the U.S. have already done so?

4. Why doesn't Continental allow advance reservation of exit row and bulkhead seats for its Elites, a perk given by almost every other airline?

5. Does Continental plan to set up a dedicated telephone number with specially-trained agents for its Elite members, and not just a different light on a regular agent's switchboard...again a perk enjoyed by Elites in almost every other airline program?

6. Why does Continental feel the need to charge $4 for drinks in Economy on international flights, a practice not done by almost every other airline?

------------------
Think of how stupid the "average person" is, then consider that half of them are dumber than that! -George Carlin
Old Jan 24, 03, 5:18 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
1) When Gordo-the-Liar said in print in his own magazine last year that there would be no reductions in OnePass benefits the same month that off-peak awards were eliminated, why wasn't someone with as big a mouth as this man enough to apologize?

2) What specific customer-service training do Continenarrogant Airlines personnel receive? Why do they, almost as a whole, treat your customers like "the enemy" that is responsible for all of the problems.

3) Please Justify Gordo-The-Liar's huge bonus last year - at a time when front-line staff are being furloughed, benefits are being reduced, passengers are being asked to pay for items that have always been free, the company is loosing money hand over fist and our tax dollars were used to support your and the other airlines in the first place. What address and to who's attention at Continental do I write to get a refund of the portion of my tax dollars that paid Gordo-the-Liar's bonus?

[This message has been edited by NJDavid (edited 03-03-2003).]
Old Jan 24, 03, 5:28 pm

withdrawn.

[This message has been edited by JeremyZ (edited 01-24-2003).]
Old Jan 24, 03, 5:38 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.

[This message has been edited by NJDavid (edited 03-03-2003).]
Old Jan 24, 03, 5:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS MVPG, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG
What % of awards issued by CO last year (2002) were Standard Awards as opposed to EasyPass awards?
Old Jan 24, 03, 6:21 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
You can't expect 'em to answer questions like that, MileKing, that would reveal important trade secrets.

[This message has been edited by snake (edited 01-24-2003).]
Old Jan 25, 03, 9:36 am

At CO, you have consistently charged higher mileage rates for BF than for NW WBC seats to the same trans-Atlantic destinations. You have also placed more restrictions on upgrading to these same BF seats than most other airlines. You have also referred to BF as "true First Class service". How do you justify these inflations, restrictions, and statements when comparing to other airlines?

Robin
(if anyone gets the gist of this question, PLEASE feel free to reword it.. I am not good with semantics. )

Old Jan 25, 03, 9:47 am

From Mr. Fish:
It seems that in this economy, CO is seeking to reward high-fare paying passengers. This high-fare paying Elite (business traveler on the company dime with choice of airline) purchases lower fares for his own personal travel (which in this particular case amounts to about 30,000 miles per year, on top of 75,000 miles on Y fares). Frustrations with being able to use miles for upgrading on personal travel, and being treated like a "problem" when flying on these lower fares (plus more, more, more) has caused this top level elite of 8+ years to rethink his travel options. Is it worth it to CO to lose this customer (and $50K plus yearly) over such issues?

Robin
(again, PLEASE edit for semantics lol)
Old Jan 25, 03, 9:59 am
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
Can we expect to see a further alignment of benefits offered with the revenue generated by a passenger, such that travelers will be incentivized to fly on full-fare Y/J/F tickets?

------------------
Thank you for choosing Continental Airlines, a proud member of the SkyTeam Alliance.
Old Jan 25, 03, 10:06 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dbaker:
The fee is obviously to recover losses from people that would otherwise be purchasing last minute tickets.

They are trying to increase revenue. You don't understand that?

I think that interesting questions that could yield a good response like JeremyZ's question could make this chat very useful. If it's going to be obvious things like, "Why are you trying to make more money? I like to spend less money and get more, can you accomodate me?" then it's going to get very old, very fast.
</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thezipper:
This thread is ONLY for questions, and any discussion about the question should be kept at a minimum. Please, no complaints or discussions about bad service, just questions.
Questions Only Please - Do Not Respond To Others Postings!!!
</font>
Thank you for sticking to the spirit of this thread.

As for my question : Given the expanding role of RJs at XJT, with them flying more frequently on longer routes, is a first class cabin a possibility (akin to NW's ARJ)?

[This message has been edited by kanebear (edited 01-25-2003).]
Old Jan 25, 03, 11:18 am

Will you consider doing something to differentiate between your Platinum elite level and other levels,like other airlines already do? (For example, complimentary club access, waived award redemption fees, other waivers, etc)

Search this Thread