Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO deserves a new Freddie category: Worst airline to redeem awards

Old Feb 18, 03, 11:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

It's been discussed before, but it happened to me again. Continental is lives up to it's book title "From Worst to Best..(to Worst"

FTer's have been complaining that awards are hard to get. I've noticed that myself over the past year or two. Now they charge you if you want to change the return date. Other airlines don't.

If awards weren't so hard to get, one could book the date the they actually wanted to return. Now we have to pay double (50,000 mi. and the change fee).

I'm glad that I'm burning CO miles as fast as possible...I've been most successful redeeming on partner airlines.
Old Feb 18, 03, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime gold, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Webflyer has an index of overall award success rate. http://www.webflyer.com/programs/award_upgrade_index/

According to that index, the "dishonor" goes to Aer Lingus, with Singapore (my favorite airlines) 2nd worse. For U.S airlines, Northwest is worse than CO.
Old Feb 18, 03, 11:18 am

Based on my redemption inquiries, the above link's statistics are not accurate. This is based on redemptions mostly on NW, CO, DL, US, and fewer redemptions on UA, LH.

Northwest is less harsh than CO. You can change awards free if you use nwa.com and do it 30 days in advance. If it's less than 30 days, it's half price if one makes the change on the internet.

Other airlines beat even NW. They are free.
Old Feb 18, 03, 4:55 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Skylink USA:
Northwest is less harsh than CO. You can change awards free if you use nwa.com and do it 30 days in advance. If it's less than 30 days, it's half price if one makes the change on the internet.

Other airlines beat even NW. They are free.
</font>
That NW policy starts March 1. Last Aug./Sep., AA started charging $100 for changing flights on PlanAAhead (=Standard) Y awards. So I'll spend the extra miles for J.

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!
Old Feb 18, 03, 8:30 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
TRUST ME on this...
CO is pretty easy. Go try Delta. "okay so I can't leave Jan 3rd, fine when is the next available seat. Ah... March 17th. Okay and the first day I can return? Ahhhh Dec 19th... um no I would NOT like to book it."
Delta is nuts. I view the miles as pretty numbers to look at. Kind of like ART. It costs alot, and just is there... can't do much with it.
Old Feb 18, 03, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA Rif Raf (Defrocked 1K), CO Lead (Former Plat), QF Bronze
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Human Unit 763246B:
CO deserves a new Freddie category: Worst airline to redeem awards </font>
But if CO won it, Randy would prolly cancel out 18,000 votes!

Old Feb 18, 03, 10:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bookexp:
For U.S airlines, Northwest is worse than CO.</font>
Interesting. Let's

NYC-LAX, March 3 to 10
Northwest: YES (from LGA, EWR & JFK)
Continental: YES (from EWR only) + $50 fee

BOS-MCO, July 5 to 12
Northwest: NO
Continental: NO

MEM-ANC, September 2 to 12
Northwest: YES

CHI-NYC, May 16 to 18
Continental: YES

DTW-EWR, December 24 to January 2

So it's about even.
Old Feb 19, 03, 2:35 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cigarman:
TRUST ME on this...
CO is pretty easy. Go try Delta. "okay so I can't leave Jan 3rd, fine when is the next available seat. Ah... March 17th. Okay and the first day I can return? Ahhhh Dec 19th... um no I would NOT like to book it."
Delta is nuts. I view the miles as pretty numbers to look at. Kind of like ART. It costs alot, and just is there... can't do much with it.
</font>

Quick! Feb. 28 is the last day to convert DL -&gt; HHonors. 50K DL -&gt; 100K HH good for a GLON (6 nights free in almost any Hilton in the world.)

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!
Old Feb 19, 03, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
I have to agree with cigarman...Delta is nuts! I haven't tried booking award travel on CO much, but the few times I have I've been successful. But, I have NEVER been able to get an aware seat on Delta.

I called Delta on January 1 to ask when I could book award travel for Christmas and they told me 330 out. So, I counted the days back on the calendar and circled the day and called at 10 minutes after midnight and was told that I needed to go to sleep and call at 9AM EST, which, supposedly was when the inventory would be loaded. So, I did that and called at 9AM and was able to get one segment, but not the other, so they put the reservation on the waitlist. My return was 10 days later, so they told me I had to call back in 10 days to get the return and by then the outbound segment I needed should clear. Soooooooo, I call back 10 days later and get the return flights with no problem, but they still haven't cleared the connection on the outbound! As a result, they have to keep extending the deadline for ticketing, so I don't lose the reservation. At this rate, I may not know until the day before Christmas if we can go or not!
Old Feb 19, 03, 3:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

According to the post, the conclusion is wrong. The data, albeit small sample size, shows Northwest to be much better than Continental.

NW 4/5 or 80%
CO 2/5 + $50 or 40% + a $50 charge

This is yet more proof that CO deserves to win a new Freddie category for "Hardest to Redeem a Standard Award"

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IndustrialPatent:
Interesting. Let's

NYC-LAX, March 3 to 10
Northwest: YES (from LGA, EWR & JFK)
Continental: YES (from EWR only) + $50 fee

BOS-MCO, July 5 to 12
Northwest: NO

MEM-ANC, September 2 to 12

CHI-NYC, May 16 to 18
Continental: YES

DTW-EWR, December 24 to January 2

So it's about even.
</font>
Old Feb 19, 03, 4:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Human Unit 763246B:

[snip]

This is yet more proof that CO deserves to win a new Freddie category for "Hardest to Redeem a Standard Award"

</font>
It's not proof of anything.

I just checked the MEM-ANC routing for the hell of it. NW gave me several "rulebuster" itineraries for 50K miles - no 25K mile award was available. CO gave me several "standard" awards at 25K miles.

These things change daily. While anecdotal experience is sometimes helpful, in this case it doesn't really prove much.

Edited to say that I also found plenty of Standard 25K awards for the last itinerary, DTW-EWR on CO.

[This message has been edited by JeremyZ (edited 02-19-2003).]
Old Feb 19, 03, 9:21 pm

JeremyZ,

Are you a CO Platinum? There is no standard availability for MEM-ANC nor DTW-EWR. NW results were taken from WPAA - the website isn't accurate and if you select the flights that WPAA shows available, you'll be able to properly "price" awards.

These dates/flights were totally random. My point was to illustrate that there are award seats to popular destinations - maybe not XXX-HNL 12/23 to 1/3 - but be reasonable.
Old Feb 19, 03, 9:49 pm

I am CO elite.

I am currently at the booking "Reward Ticket Details" page of the CO site. I've got C0 207 on 12/24 and CO 606 on 1/2/2004 (both "M" class). The cost is 25K miles and $5.

There are other options that day - I just picked the first. If you're elite, I can't figure out why you might be having trouble.

And, hey, I understand that you were just giving examples - I was reacting to Human Unit's assertion that we could make any global assumptions based on them.

BTW, I have no idea what WPAA is, but, yeah, I got my NW info from nwa.com.
Old Feb 19, 03, 10:37 pm

JeremyZ,

I am Platinum with Northwest, not Continental. Logging onto Continental.com, there is no standard awards for non-elites on MEM-ANC nor DTW-EWR on the dates I provided. Your information is pretty interesting -- I knew CO provided extra availability to its elites, but I didn't know it made that much of a difference! NW provides the same availability for its elites and nonelites.
Old Feb 19, 03, 11:02 pm

Yeah - we've had a few threads about additional award availability for CO elites, but I'm not sure we ever checked it this way.

FYI, there were 2 CO DTW-EWR flights on 12/24 w/ standard availability, and 3 on 1/2/04 EWR-DTW. MEM-ANC from 9/2 to 9/12 has one FC standard option on the outbound, and two standard coach on the return. From experience, I can tell you that the 48-ANC flights tend to open up pretty well for September award travel - give it time for more options.

Search this Thread