FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   New Upgrade Rules Suck (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/44845-new-upgrade-rules-suck.html)

romadaro Feb 16, 2003 11:27 am

Snake-
WHAT?! I just looked at my boarding pass and it's missing the JR suffix, which is on my OnePass account. Could this have really created the problem? Even though my number and Platinum printed on my boarding pass and the mileage has already hit my account?

avek00 Feb 16, 2003 11:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by romadaro:
Snake-
WHAT?! I just looked at my boarding pass and it's missing the JR suffix, which is on my OnePass account. Could this have really created the problem? Even though my number and Platinum printed on my boarding pass and the mileage has already hit my account?
</font>
YES.

------------------
Thank you for choosing Continental Airlines, a proud member of the SkyTeam Alliance.

NJDavid Feb 16, 2003 12:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by romadaro:
Snake-
</font>

SEE!!! It was all your fault! No waivers and favors for you...you're just another idiot passenger who is the cause of the problem!!! 4 front line CO staff can't do a thing to help you when it's really your fault!!!!! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rolleyes.gif

(Oh brother. If you want to bypass this attitude of it's your fault and we can't override the computer, fly a real airline in the future.)

Skylink USA Feb 16, 2003 2:52 pm

There is some logic for upgrades to be based on the fare paid. I fly on a mix of fares.

However, with the new system, I have little loyalty if I fly on a cheap fare. After flying Easyjet recently, I'm in the mindset about bringing my own water and food and magazines. This is bad for CO as people like me will abandon CO except when they have the absolute lowest fare. I fly enough to achieve at least silver on multiple carriers.

lensman Feb 16, 2003 4:52 pm

Two thread points here...

I think we've determined that romadaro's problems are related to the usual CO computer system crap having to do with either passenger details (name doesn't match? no upgrade for you - not-so subtle incentive to use continental.com, i think) or new elite status (new elite status? we need to keep our phone agents employed so let's force passengers to phone in to get their onepass numbers removed and re-entered before giving them upgrades).

How much have the incentives for passengers changed due to fare class based upgrades within elite status? Not much, I think. The best way to get higher priority on elite upgrades is to earn higher elite status. If you are gold or silver, should you pay a higher fare to increase your chances for an upgrade? No, you should mileage run 25,000 miles to make it to your next elite level. If you are already platinum, what then? Well, if I and the woman standing next to me are plat, who should get the first class seat, the person who booked first, checked in earlier, or who is flying in the higher fare class? Being selfish, I say it should be whichever gets me into first more often, but fare class does seem to be as fair as any other choice. It at least makes me feel better when all the Q and T fares are sold out and I have to pay more for B.

edited for grammar and spelling

[This message has been edited by lensman (edited 02-16-2003).]

monitor Feb 16, 2003 6:10 pm

Fare class discrimination is clearly best for me since I generally don't have the advance notice necessary to get the TurQuey fares. But it probably won't make any difference, because even under the old method I only missed being upgraded once in the last three years.

lensman Feb 16, 2003 6:48 pm

posted in error

[This message has been edited by lensman (edited 02-16-2003).]