Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Comparison

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2003, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, SPG, UAL - 1P
First Class Comparison

How does the First Class section of Continental compare? Is it more like Northwest or United?
Old Feb 13, 2003, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Personally, I think it's hard to do too much of a strict comparison right now because service levels in domestic F are in a free fall for most airlines right now.

I had considered AA's product to be the best domestic F product for quite a while, but they've been reducing the service as part of their cost cutting measures. Admittedly, though, I do like the Recaro seats in AA's F.

Overall, though, I would argue that CO's domestic F product is the equal of anyone else's at this point.

Steve
Old Feb 13, 2003, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, SPG, UAL - 1P
Noting your points about service levels dropping, Northwest and United have very different First Class environments. Northwest many times seems to be little more than a larger seat.

Does Continental's service before the cuts more resemble Northwest or United?
Old Feb 13, 2003, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
For domestic F, I rank DL is as good as CO. AA was good until the cut (AA cuts way too much on their food), NW is way behind.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 11:58 am

I've flown CO,NW, and UA in the past month in FC, and here are my observations.

For CO, I flew them EWR-SFO in FC, the B752 was in the BF configuration so the seats were very comfortable with the legrest and Personal TV, (Which, unfortunately, I had problems with during the flight.)(Note: on regular CO domestic A/C the FC seats don't have legrests but they do still have IFE through the overhead monitors.)

Food service was good. We got a menu detailing the dinner service. Good selections, Ice cream sundae for dessert.

For NW, I flew them from DTW-TPA on a breakfast flight. The cabin of the A320 was ok. (I still prefer the lighting on UA and CO, I dunno why, but it seems brighter and newer on their planes.) Breakfast was just a cold cereal and a banana. Nothing special. There are no movies shown on domestic NW flights except to Hawaii. FC seats don't have legrests. For NW, generally, FC is more for the seats and not for the service.

For UA, I flew them SFO-ORD-MCO. FC seats are standard with the good "headrests". The FC cabin on the B767 that I flew in was a bit cramped. Meal service during lunch time was just a big cold deli salad...which is ok but I really miss the warm meals/menus on these flights. Dessert is Mrs. Fields cookies or the Eli's Cheescake. No more sundaes on the flights that I took. UA plane interiors are nicely well-lit and the planes look very clean upon boarding. Some older NW aircraft have very old/tired looking cabins...but with their renovations, I would think that they will be improved over time.

Overall, for domestic FC, in terms of overall seat comfort and inflight service, I'd rate CO #1 then UA #2 then NW #3. I used to rate UA and CO at the same level, but since UA cut back on the FC meal service, I had to give CO an edge over them for this year.

------------------
SFnFlaGuy
Old Feb 13, 2003, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
CO is pretty awesome. Seats are comfy, food is pretty good, they try anyway. Movies or Short Subject on many flights, service is pretty good, planes are new and most often times very clean.
UA has the best headrest but has trimmed everything.
I think NW is lacking in food, movies, and seating. DTW-PHX on an A320 and NO movie or music.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I would agree with others and their commentaries and ranking. I would probably still tie AA and CO at the top, though.

Without a doubt, NW's F trails, both in service as well as pitch, but to me it's a worthwhile trade for the additional F seats they offer on the DC-9 and A319/A320. (Although CO does have a decent ratio of seats on the 737-900)

For me, it's all about having room to wiggle my shoulders. Everything else is gravy.

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.