FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   4k Bonus Promo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/44808-4k-bonus-promo.html)

SteveHOU Feb 10, 2003 5:28 pm

4k Bonus Promo

Just received a flyer in the mail anouncing the following:

Just fly CO from 2/15/03 - 5/15/03 in any fare class except Q or T and earn:
- 1,000 OP bonus miles after first R/T
- 3,000 OP bonus miles after 3rd R/T

Registration info:
800-346-6090 + OP Account# + Zip + Promo Code: GG ONE 43016

I do not know if this is a target promo or not.

Good luck.

infiniteflyer Feb 10, 2003 5:44 pm

In the T&C fine print:
"This offer is non-transferable and is intended only for the person named in this mailing."

Xyzzy Feb 10, 2003 5:58 pm

FYI -- The web site let me register and I don't recall being targeted.

jonhoram Feb 10, 2003 6:49 pm

Tried to register by phone, didn't work. What's the link to register online?

AndrewNYC Feb 10, 2003 6:58 pm

I liked the poster I received more than the bonus mile opportunity.

"Quiet, comfortable, with larger overhead bins, our new Boeing 767/757s are a big part of our fleet - the newest among major US airlines" - Big part? Too bad no mention of large overhead space on ERJs... I long for more 767s...

"On Continental, you still get meals, blankets, pillows and other comforts".

"Why shouldn't I just take off with some other airline?"

880 Feb 10, 2003 7:36 pm

I got the same mailer.

It's titled:

"Because, believeve it or not, it's how you get there...that's still important."

Inside

"No airline is perfect. But some are better than others We at Continental believe in a simple formula: roomy, clean planes that arrive on time and friendly people who take you where you want to go. We've also refused to scrimp when it comes to things like meals, pillows and blankets, movies and magazines."

(then it mentions the amazing bonus offer, but of course it can't be on q or t class)

(Here's the kicker close)

"Talk to us first.

Will you fly Continenetal 100 percent of the time? That's up to you. We just want you to consider us first. We figure that exceptional service, state-of-the-art facilities and planes, more destinations, and the best frequent-flyer program anywhere will bring you back often enough.

Fly with us. You'll earn bonus miles and we'll earn your respect."

(of course I wom't have much respect for myself if I buy 3 high fare tickets for 4000 bonus miles)

monitor Feb 10, 2003 8:07 pm

I can't get all that excited now. I needed to buy a RT EWR-DCA-EWR same weekday out and back and would you believe that when it ticketed at about $400 for the short trip, it was a Q fare?
Over the years I have played the "no TurQuey segment" game with this kind of trip for about the same $ give or take, and usually it was called H, sometimes K, sometimes V, and even once in a while, Y or A., but it never gobble-gobbled if I didn't stay over a Saturday nite.

infiniteflyer Feb 10, 2003 9:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by xyzzy:
FYI -- The web site let me register and I don't recall being targeted.</font>
The offer says to call, nothing about registering online. Does anyone remember if this has been the same in the past?

Germanfflyer Feb 10, 2003 11:58 pm

Use the code 43016 to register at the website - news and offers - offer registration http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

------------------
Viele Grüße

Oliver

bocastephen Feb 11, 2003 8:09 am

3000 bonus miles for V or higher? no thanks, I will pass http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif This whole Q/T thing really burns me http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif why do they prevent Q/T fares from these programs, when Q/T is a very uneven marker for determining fare revenue. In my flying markets and city pairs, Q fares stretch up towards $400++...so the T-Q range is about 175-400+...I have to pay over 400 to get something in V or higher. In other markets, T-Q might only range from 125-250, with V available for the low-mid 200s. I dont mind paying abit more to get into V class and joining some of these promos, but I am not going to pay 2.5-3x as much as I have to for the honor. If CO wants to have a revenue floor for their promotions, that is OK...but since their fare classes are so diverse based on city pairs, it would be more reasonable in my opinion to place a fare floor, rather than a class floor. A better policy would be to say "qualifying fares for this promotion must be at least $251 exclusive of taxes/fees booked in any class". Any other views on this?

NJDavid Feb 11, 2003 8:29 am

"Roomy" has to be right up there with "simplified" and "enhanced" as the worst doublespeak and carp that Mecca has ever produced – meaning it is being used to describe a condition when the exact opposite is true..

If one were to list all the adjectives in the world and then line them up according to their applicability to Continental aircraft, I've gotta think that "roomy" would be down near the bottom 5% of the list near such words as flavorful, contemplative, obsequious, purple and clairvoyant.

I object to almost all of their assertions (Friendly??? Respect?????), but roomy takes the cake.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 880:
I got the same mailer.

It's titled:

"Because, believeve it or not, it's how you get there...that's still important."

Inside

"No airline is perfect. But some are better than others We at Continental believe in a simple formula: roomy, clean planes that arrive on time and friendly people who take you where you want to go. We've also refused to scrimp when it comes to things like meals, pillows and blankets, movies and magazines."

(then it mentions the amazing bonus offer, but of course it can't be on q or t class)

(Here's the kicker close)

"Talk to us first.

Will you fly Continenetal 100 percent of the time? That's up to you. We just want you to consider us first. We figure that exceptional service, state-of-the-art facilities and planes, more destinations, and the best frequent-flyer program anywhere will bring you back often enough.

Fly with us. You'll earn bonus miles and we'll earn your respect."

(of course I wom't have much respect for myself if I buy 3 high fare tickets for 4000 bonus miles)
</font>

[This message has been edited by NJDavid (edited 02-11-2003).]

CMW Feb 11, 2003 8:32 am

My S.O. is silver and was targeted. He was able to register via phone and on-line.

I was not targeted and was not able to register via phone but was able to register on-line.

The question is even though you can register on-line will that actually work if you don't (or can't ) register via phone.

Anyone know from past experience where they registered on-line only for a promo that said to call and register?

Xyzzy Feb 11, 2003 9:45 am

Someone mentioned the $400 EWR-&gt;DCA-&gt;EWR fare is a Q. Same thing going EWR-&gt;BOS. These fares are non-refindable 3 day advance with no Saturday stay.

The whole no Q/T thing is absurd. If the airlines are going be serious about having pax find and book specific fare classes they should at least make them easier to book.

Brendan Feb 11, 2003 10:20 am

Oh-so-thank-U, SteveHOU & Vielen Dank, Oliver!

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!

Weatherboy Feb 11, 2003 5:23 pm

Of the promotions/bonuses Continental has, this is probably the wierdest/weakest.

All things being the same, CO would need to offer me something a lot more than 4k miles to book my next 4 flights in non-Q/T on them rather than someone else.

While I register for every offer that comes my way, I don't always participate in the end.

I would hope that when evaluating the success of these programs, that CO Marketing is looking at how many passengers actually fly CO based on these promotions rather than look at the volume that simply registers for the promotion (or those that would fly during the promotional period regardless of the offer.)

You'd think they'd run the concept by a focus group of business travelers before rolling out this rather expensive direct mail campaign. This is the equivalent to sending out a full-color mailer to Mobil/Exxon credit card holders offering a 5-cent coupon to buy Premium gasoline on their next 4-purchases during a set amount of time. The value proposition is ridiculous and doesn't do much to generate an increase in sales.