Experience with Elite Upgrades EWR-LAS?

Old Feb 4, 03, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Experience with Elite Upgrades EWR-LAS?

Couldn't find much in a search on this topic...

What are people's experience getting elite upgrades on these flights?

In particular, I'll be flying on the 7:30pm flight on a Tuesday, H fare (fully refundable, so can't get my company to spring for Y), Silver elite. FC is currently less than half full (24-seat 757) and coach looks fairly open as well. There are F upgrades available, I'm just debating whether to use my miles.

Any insight appreciated.
Old Feb 4, 03, 10:12 pm

My experience has been about 50/50 as silver, and I'm usually flying Thursday or Friday for the w/end. I'm thinking on a Tuesday, if the flight looks modestly booked, you'll be fine. I'd save my miles, if I were you.

But it depends how important - If you're 6'7" and 280 lbs, then there's nothing like a sure thing. If normal sized, then chance it, I'd say.
Old Feb 5, 03, 3:05 am

its a crap shoot id say wait untill you get to sin city before you start gambeling
Old Feb 5, 03, 6:30 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
In my experience, CO doesn't open the window for any EUA upgrades LAS-EWR until an hour or so before your flight. I'm Platinum and have had 100% success, but I would suggest checking in early. As far as EWR-LAS goes, I received my EUA at the 5 day window most times, and given the day you are flying, I'd say you have a very good chance.
Old Feb 5, 03, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA MM, BV Titanium, HH Diamond
LAS-EWR is the toughest year-round UG in the CO system. Tougher than EWR-LAS because the seats are held (as mauld has said) right to the end in order to catch any winners who are in a hurry to go home and who will buy the FC tickets on the spur of the moment (and frequently they do). LAS-EWR about three years ago was the last time that I failed to get a domestic UG.
For the other toughest route, see the thread about PBI in season. After those two come the transcons.
Old Feb 5, 03, 4:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, United 1k, United Club (life), Virgin Silver, Marriott/SPG/Hilton/Accor Gold
I've only flown LAS-EWR-LAS roundtrips three times. All three times I received EUAs for all segments. Two as a Platinum, one as a Gold. Last roundtrip was in January, 2002.
Old Feb 6, 03, 4:35 pm

As an illegitimate FF who is not an elite (I just upgrade with miles) I have not had too many problems upgrading to fc on the EWR-LAS-EWR leg(s). I just check Galileo every so often until the seats are released. Since the u/g process/policies has changed over the past year, it's the seats are usually avail 3 - 5 hours before the flight.
Old Feb 6, 03, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

abev107 posts:

"As an illegitimate FF who is not an elite (I just upgrade with miles)..."

But it's time for him to figure out how to get an Elite card, because beginning this year they won't any longer take his miles for upgrades on Q and T fares.
Old Feb 7, 03, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the input everyone. I actually have a Y fare on LAS-EWR (that's all that was available and now flight is completely sold out in coach), so I'll upgrade that as soon as I ticket it.

Still, I hate gambling (for first class seats...). So I may suck up the mileage upgrade (which is only 8,000 Amex points with the bonus!).
Old Feb 10, 03, 7:03 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Interesting side note - I have to travel to an industry conference in LAS - one of many I do every year. I was a bit pushed for time and was going to bite the bullet and fly Continarrogant non-stop from EWR-LAS. Not gonna happen.

I discover, not only have they screwed with EUA, not only have they prevented non-elites from using mileage to upgrade, they have NO "F" seats on this route at all for weeks prior to and after the conference. Wide open planes, all classes available, but no F on both direct flights and when connecting through either IAH or CLE.

Just another ocassion where I'll be visiting the World Clubs in DTW and MSP and spending more money on an NW fare than I could have on a CO fare because NW lets me use miles to upgrade on their metal. More lost business for CO because of their stupid revenue management bait and switch policies.
Old Feb 10, 03, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What NJDavid experienced above was an example of what mauld posted earlier. There are no F seats released on this run by CO until the day of the flight.
Old Feb 10, 03, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by monitor:
What NJDavid experienced above was an example of what mauld posted earlier. There are no F seats released on this run by CO until the day of the flight. </font>
So they'd rather [i]give[i] the seats away (to elite upgrades) than even allow people to burn miles? They could still hold a seat or two to the big winner. I find this very frustrating.

Search this Thread