New to CO & have a few ?'s

Old Feb 7, 2003, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1k, *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
New to CO & have a few ?'s

Hi all,

I just jumped ship from DL to CO because I actually haven't heard bad things about CO. I have a couple of questions.

To anyone flying out of TPA to EWR, how good of change does gold have making an upgrade (obviously there are many variables, but looking for a general frequency of upgrades 733 and Md80 on non-Y class?

Generally speaking do golds get upgraded most of the time?

How are the exit seat on the CO express jets out of EWR?

With DL, fare class made a difference. My understanding is that fare class breaks the tie within onepass status. Should I pay more for a higher fare class?

I realize the answer to most of these questions is “it depends” but I am looking for general thoughts and perceptions. Any other info on onepass would be appreciated.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by castle (edited 02-07-2003).]
Old Feb 7, 2003, 11:55 am

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Since I'm moving to Tampa... i'm curious myself. Of course the bad news for you, is since I'm Plat... there you go down the pecking order by one. Leave it to me to mess things up!
Old Feb 7, 2003, 12:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
I never sat in coach EWR-TPA as a plat, but I don't know about golds.

As for purchasing a higher fare class, I personally would not do that as I doubt that it would really make a difference.

Exit rows on the "Jungle Jet" are not bad, 12A on the 145 and 9A on the 135 are the best seats on those planes.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 12:44 pm

Have done several low-fare runs EWR/TPA as a gold. I usually use miles for upgrades if avail (hey, I can't use all these miles for anything else! ) In the few instances where I have not used miles, my upgrades are about 50/50. For example: Thurs PM EWR-TPA had 1 gold upped by EUA, one battlefield. Sun PM return, no ups. Another Mon nt TPA-EWR yielded no ups, but flt was oversold and we took the bump with confirmed first next day (Veterans Day). Business flts seem to be more likely to upgrade than weekend/leisure flts (at least Fri nts southbound and Sun nts northbound, possibly commuters??). TPA is my fav CO airport, gate agents are extremely nice for the most part. Also great for bumping (have done several there). Beware the "BagLadies" that won't let you out to gates with more than 2 carry-ons, lol. Hope thhis helps some!

Robin
Old Feb 7, 2003, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Welcome to tampa cigarman. Moved here 2 years ago from KC and won't go back north ever.......especailly after seeing the current weather in North east.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 5:12 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cigarman:
Since I'm moving to Tampa... i'm curious myself. Of course the bad news for you, is since I'm Plat... there you go down the pecking order by one. Leave it to me to mess things up! </font>
So Cigarman is back... a hearty welcome back C-man...
Old Feb 7, 2003, 5:31 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
well... I'm half back to CO. I earned top status on BOTH CO and DL last year. Since Delta has gutted the program... I think I will use both again this year until everything shakes out.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

I hear you cigarman! I have been upset with organizations before, but DL angered me to a point that I had to change carriers immediately before I wrote a 5th letter to DL I would regret. I am happy to be with CO and have real ill feelings toward DL due to their abandonment of their medallion members.

I just hope CO and NW have testicular fortitude :-) when they work with DL on the codeshare (don't want CO and NW to make any changes to meet DLs).
Old Feb 7, 2003, 9:29 pm
Suspended

I agree with you castle. I broke away from DL as they now make me sick to my stomach.

I got the CO comp to PLAT and have only 500 MQM on DL this year. I am burning the 600,000 plus on DL as I will not give them one dime in revenue.

I really hope this alliance thing goes through as long as NW/CO keep their program separate or DL bows down to them (would be the best excuse to back down). If it does, I plan on using DL (MIA, FLL, GSO, CLT, etc.) where NW/CO can't help me and put the miles in CO. I figure living in ATL, it will help me beat DL at their own game.

Owning more than 300 share of DL stock, it kinda hurts doing this, but their Board of Directors is letting Leo and Co. have to much reign and he hasn't gotta clue. I could do a better job working 2 or 3 days a week.
Old Feb 8, 2003, 7:00 am

I do the EWR-TPA about 8 times a year and find it to be difficult upgrade especially in season. I find Thursday, Friday and Monday to be the toughest. If you don't mind a connection, Northwest through either Detroit or Memphis is a pretty good bet as I even got upgraded the day before Thanksgiving which is typically one of the toughest days of the year. Was in an exit row on a jungle jet last Saturday and its got tons of leg room (more than most FC seats on bigger metal). Fare does break the tie but is it worth it for a 2:30 hour flt?
Old Feb 10, 2003, 6:53 am
Original Poster

I need to add another question. How do NW codeshare flights (NW metal) work with upgrades. Are chances less for upgrades with the codeshare NW metal?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.