Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Now it's official: Elite's traveling together - split your records!

Old Jan 30, 03, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus

I just got my February "Elite update" and noticed an interesting tidbit on page 2. There's a section titled "Upgrade process now rewards members by fare class."

As we've long speculated, elites traveling together seem to miss out on upgrades when booked on the same records. Sure enough, the "upgrade priority" info now says this:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Here's what we now look at to determine upgrade priority:
  • Unrestricted Y class fare: Allows all Elites to upgrade at the time of ticketing when a seat is available
  • Elite level: Members are prioritized according to their elite level -- Platinum, Gold, and then Silver. When traveling with other Elites or non-Elites we recommend that you book your flight on a separate itinerary
  • NEW Restricted fare class: beginning February 1, 2003, upgrade priority within Elite level will be based on fare class purchased. The fare class structure in priority order is as follows: H, K, B, V, Q, and T.
  • Booking date/time: All else being equal, the sooner you've booked your flight, the better your upgrade chances.
</font>

[This message has been edited by xyzzy (edited 01-30-2003).]
Old Jan 30, 03, 9:10 pm

This is news?
Old Jan 30, 03, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA MM, BV Titanium, HH Diamond
That is interesting. Today, when I was getting ticketed, the agent asked "why do you have separate records?"
I guess he must be seeing more and more of it since CO's recommendation was printed, although it has long been agreed on these boards that it is the only way to go when there are two Elites (even when both are Platinum).
Old Jan 30, 03, 9:42 pm

Say you want to buy 2 Tickets, you being an elite the other person you are traveling with is not an elite. If you purchase your itnerary for $315.00 what are the chances that the other person's fare could jump up in price since the few minutes you purchased your ticket. Can this happen if you purchase the last cheapo fare class on a flight? What can you do to protect yourself and travel partner in a situation like this.
Old Jan 30, 03, 9:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by I LOVE EWR:
What can you do to protect yourself and travel partner in a situation like this.</font>

Simple enough...

if you're going to book 2 tickets separately, then open up two windows to CO.com, get them both to the point where you can verify the ticket prices for both itineraries, then purchase.

I've heard tale of fares jumping up during the buying process... but at this point, they should remain constant. Anyways, your chances of this happening [to you] more than once?

------------------
Smile.... your mother could have placed you in an A340!
Old Jan 30, 03, 10:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, Sixt-Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by I LOVE EWR:
Say you want to buy 2 Tickets, you being an elite the other person you are traveling with is not an elite. If you purchase your itnerary for $315.00 what are the chances that the other person's fare could jump up in price since the few minutes you purchased your ticket. Can this happen if you purchase the last cheapo fare class on a flight? What can you do to protect yourself and travel partner in a situation like this.</font>
Even easier. Purchase the ticket with the 2 people, then call CO and say you want the record split. They will then give a new record locator (along with your original) will be the 2 new records. I just did that recently and I used miles to upgrade my non-elite girlfriend and played the EUA game. I got upgraded as per priority.

I would on recommend this for etickets. If you need to get/have paper tickets then just reserve your itinerary online. Call CO, split the record then have them issue the tickets so they can print them.

- HobokenFlyer
Old Jan 30, 03, 10:17 pm

Programs: CO Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HobokenFlyer:
Even easier. Purchase the ticket with the 2 people, then call CO and say you want the record split. They will then give a new record locator (along with your original) will be the 2 new records. I just did that recently and I used miles to upgrade my non-elite girlfriend and played the EUA game. I got upgraded as per priority.

I would on recommend this for etickets. If you need to get/have paper tickets then just reserve your itinerary online. Call CO, split the record then have them issue the tickets so they can print them.

- HobokenFlyer
</font>
I always do this when using miles for upgrades. Since we usually travel together, our mileage balances are about the same and I like to keep it that way. So, I have upgrade miles taken out of our respective accounts.

We're both plat, so it's not such a big deal when we're not upgrading in advance.
Old Jan 31, 03, 12:13 am

Buy the ticket together, at least that way you get the "premium" seats. Then call CO and have them split the PNR. Very simple, and this even works on CO Micronesia. My non-elite companion was upgraded on the GUM-HKG last Friday.

[This message has been edited by diana (edited 01-30-2003).]
Old Jan 31, 03, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Put both tickets on hold to lock the price, then buy them separately by midnight the next day, getting the online booking bonus for each pax.

Old Jan 31, 03, 7:57 am
Suspended

but what if you actually want to sit together? it IS possible that the non-elite or lower elite won't get upgraded. then, you have to go through the rigamarole to get downgraded and it might be to a dumpy pair of seats.

i am platinum and travel with a gold. i book us exit row or good bulkhead seats and keep us in the same record (PNR). until the day of departure, we are gold. at the airport we are platinum (plus platinum companion). it usually is fine. if it's not, no biggie. exit row seats in coach are just fine since we get to board early and the food in first stinks anyway.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 01-31-2003).]
Old Jan 31, 03, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UpgradeMe:
This is news?</font>
I think so. We've already figured this out empirically, but now CO has put this in writing.
Old Jan 31, 03, 9:36 am

According to the press release the upgrades by fare class "beginning February 1, 2003"

Which, of course, hasn't happened yet... So, how have we figured this out "empirically"?

Could it be that it has already been implemented?
Old Jan 31, 03, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was referring to the "split your records" part. If two platinums are traveling together they are not likely to be upgraded while those with lower status but on individual records are.
Old Jan 31, 03, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The apparently is not an enhancement. CO refers to this as a refinement in the second paragraph. Yup, now the process has been "refined".
Old Jan 31, 03, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This shouldn't matter if you and the person you are traveling with are both identical elite tiers, though, right? (Specifically, why wife and I are both NW Gold).

Steve

Search this Thread