Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2005, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
EWR Restaurants

Hello... I tried doing a search on this but couldn't find anything applicable. I was supposed to meet some friends in NYC flying from SAN to TLV who had a 7 hour layover tonight. Now that traffic in/out of EWR is delayed because of weather, I will probably have to meet them at EWR.

Are there restaurants outside of security (in any terminal) worth going to? Or, is there anything nearby in Newark?

Thanks,
Tony
Old Jun 22, 2005, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tonyflysco
Hello... I tried doing a search on this but couldn't find anything applicable. I was supposed to meet some friends in NYC flying from SAN to TLV who had a 7 hour layover tonight. Now that traffic in/out of EWR is delayed because of weather, I will probably have to meet them at EWR.

Are there restaurants outside of security (in any terminal) worth going to? Or, is there anything nearby in Newark?

Thanks,
Tony
There is nothing outside security...and I think leaving the airport and driving anywhere in that area is a risk for time. If they have a 7 hour layover, the ideal solution is find a place to store any bags (or try to check as much as possible), then have them use the airtrain to meet you in NYC for dinner...plenty of time to do that, as the airtrain is 20-30 minutes each way...just check the schedule carefully to time their arrival back at EWR with plenty of time to clear security at both the concourse and the gate (TLV departures have extra gate security)

If they wont leave the airport, buy a refundable r/t ticket to somewhere, clear security and then take your pick from the terminal restaurants in C for dinner...you can keep them company until they enter the gate area for TLV, then leave and refund your ticket.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
If you do want to leave there are excellent Portuguese restaurants in the Ironbound section of Newark.

It's been a long time since I was there though, so can't remember anything more specific.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

newark

ya, i was thinking about restaurants in newark as well. it looks like their layover now will only be 4-5 hours. not quite enough time to make a trip to city pending traffic, etc. and they have to catch an int'l flight tonight to TLV. it's too bad... we had reservations at spice mkt.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 2:43 pm

Programs: CO - Plat, NW - Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Plat.
The restaurant at the Marriott isnt too bad. Since you are in a crunch for time - I think this may be your best bet since you will not have to deal with traffic outside of the EWR airport for the most part.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 2:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Originally Posted by tincan
The restaurant at the Marriott isnt too bad. Since you are in a crunch for time - I think this may be your best bet since you will not have to deal with traffic outside of the EWR airport for the most part.
Agreed. There are 2 restaurants in the Marriott directly across from the parking lots. Both are good.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I would think that 4-5 hours is plenty enough for you to take a Newark cab to Don Pepe on McCarter Hiway, about a ten minute and ten dollar ride from the airport.
This is one of the best Spanish restaurants in the NY metro and is right on the main road so there should be none of this winding in and out of streets in the Ironbound.
When ozstamps had a six hour layover a few months ago, we had time for a full-scale FT six or eight person lunch there with no pressure to look at a watch or cut the drinking short.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 3:51 pm
Suspended

i would hit the portuguese restaurants in newark. they are incredible. be like cosmo kramer and order some paella.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 6:41 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Haven't been there in a long time - but I second Don Pe'pe as an option. If you're brave, and IIRC, Don Pe'pe's is in walking distance from Newark Penn Station... but I'd probably plan on a cab.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
i would hit the portuguese restaurants in newark. they are incredible. be like cosmo kramer and order some paella.
No disagreement there, but have you ever driven into one of those streets in the Ironbound and found it blocked with no way for you to get out? I have on more than one occasion, and the opinion about Don Pepe being the best for this OP stands due to its primo location (and their paella is not too shabby). He will have other opportunities to go in there and find another great place (or two or three), but on this occasion he is locked up for time.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:23 pm

mmmmm...Portuguese food

I would second and third the suggestions for going to the Ironbound section of Newark. The Portuguese food can't be beat and the prices are very reasonable. My favorite is Tony Da Caneca -- read the New Jersey munchmobile review:

http://www.nj.com/munchmobile/ledger...ilefinale.html

It's at 72 Elm Road, just 2.5 miles from EWR. I go there nearly every Sunday, say hi if you're there at that time.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:25 pm

ooops...almost forgot

If you're a wine afficionado...the wine stores in the Ironbound have excellent Portuguese wines at very reasonable prices. You can get an amazing Alentejo wine for about $15.00. At Tony Da Caneca, they have an excellent wine list, with very small mark-ups. A good inexpensive wine on their list is the Borba Riserva, I think it's about $20-25.

Cheers,

Dave

I try to be ethical, but wine makes me weak. --Niles Crane

Last edited by dthernandez; Jun 22, 2005 at 10:27 pm
Old Jun 23, 2005, 8:03 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
With only 7 hours to kill... I would suggest going out to eat!

If you want to go into manhattan

take the AirTrain, take NJ Transit or Amtrak (your preference) to New York Penn Station, that will put you at 31/32 street and 7th / 8th ave you can go to a variety of places no more than 10 dollar cab ride. Personally I LOVE Eatry ( a bit up town), Cafeteria (in Chealsa), or the world famous Serendipity 3 ( a bit up town)...
You're also be very close to Macy's Herald Square or Bloomingdales is at 59th and lexington...

Time Square is not far away with two movie theatres, AMC and Lowes, but there is the Lowes 34th Street near Penn Station which is very nice...

If you want good Spanish or Portugese food...
Take the AirTrain to Newark Penn Sation...

take a cab to either Don Pepe, or Spanish Tavern...

Not much else to do in the newark area...

PVT me if you want more info...

-Vincent
Old Jun 23, 2005, 8:04 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by mbreuer
Haven't been there in a long time - but I second Don Pe'pe as an option. If you're brave, and IIRC, Don Pe'pe's is in walking distance from Newark Penn Station... but I'd probably plan on a cab.
You couldn't pay me to walk to anywhere in newark from NWKPenn...

-Vincent
Old Jun 23, 2005, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Don Pepe's it is!

Thank you all for your suggestions. We ended up taking a cab ($13.00) from Terminal C to Don Pepe's in Newark. The food was fantastic. Had a 5-pound lobster, paella, and plenty of Sangria. I highly recommend the place, both for its food and for its location. Very easy cab ride from EWR.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.