Air Train Newark? Anyone used it before?

Old Apr 22, 02, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Air Train Newark? Anyone used it before?

I'm going to New York for Memorial Day weekend. I'm flying into Newark and am planning to use the new Air Train connection that Continental has been promoting on their website. They said that this makes it fairly easy to get to New York's Penn Station from the Newark Airport.

Has anyone used this service before? If so, was it an easy ride? Since I haven't been to New York in a couple of years, I just wanted to make sure that this won't turn into a nightmare commute.

------------------
SFnFlaGuy
Old Apr 22, 02, 11:27 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I've used it frequently both to and from EWR and it is pretty painless. You just follow the signs in your arrival terminal for the AirTrain, board the monorail to your right as you come up the escalator and depart at the AirTrain station. You can purchase your tickets at either Newark (at machines) or at the train station itself. At the Newark Airtrain stop you would take any train heading towards NYC (there will be lots of montiors displaying departure times and tracks. (It could be a NJ Transit or Amtrack train). The entire trip will be between 50 min and 1 hour.
Old Apr 22, 02, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Mauld, thanks for the advice! So the trip could take up to an hour to NY Penn Station? I thought they said it's supposed to take only 30 mins?

When I get to the AirTrain Station to catch the train to NYC, does it make a difference which train I take? NJ Transit or Amtrak? Is the cost pretty much the same?

Thanks again for the info.

------------------
SFnFlaGuy
Old Apr 22, 02, 11:53 am

Programs: CO Silver
The trip to NY-Penn only takes 20-30 minutes, but you have to factor in waiting for the AirTrain, taking the AirTrain, then waiting for the train to NY-Penn. It adds up.

I'm pretty sure the Amtrak trains cost more, so you prob want to take NJTransit.

[This message has been edited by IAH_FLYER (edited 04-22-2002).]
Old Apr 22, 02, 11:59 am

I'd also add that you can expect the NJ Transit train will, at rush hour, lose at least 5 minutes en route.

[This message has been edited by fenstere (edited 04-22-2002).]
Old Apr 22, 02, 12:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fenstere:
I'd also add that you can expect the NJ Transit train will, at rush hour, lose at least 5 minutes en route.

[This message has been edited by fenstere (edited 04-22-2002).]
</font>
...which is still a lot less than you'd lose waiting in line in your cab at the tunnel entrance!
Old Apr 22, 02, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your info! I feel much better now that I have some idea of how the commute will go!
Old Apr 22, 02, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CO Nothing, SPG Gold
Sometimes the train doesn't even come at all.
Old Apr 22, 02, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Can you buy RT tix for the airtrain? Is the cost just 2X a OW?

thanx

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mauld:
I've used it frequently both to and from EWR and it is pretty painless. You just follow the signs in your arrival terminal for the AirTrain, board the monorail to your right as you come up the escalator and depart at the AirTrain station. You can purchase your tickets at either Newark (at machines) or at the train station itself. At the Newark Airtrain stop you would take any train heading towards NYC (there will be lots of montiors displaying departure times and tracks. (It could be a NJ Transit or Amtrack train). The entire trip will be between 50 min and 1 hour.</font>
Old Apr 22, 02, 1:24 pm

Location: Here, There and Everywhere (but now on the Pacific)!
Programs: AC E75, MPC G and NEXUS/GE fan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, National EE, Amex Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IAH_FLYER:
[B] I'm pretty sure the Amtrak trains cost more, so you prob want to take NJTransit.
B]</font>
You're right...Amtrak does cost a lot more to NYPenn. I think the NJ Transit price is $11.85 or so, and amtrak is double that. The northeast corridor trains run all the time--you'll get a train that stops at EWR every 15-20 minutes.

Old Apr 22, 02, 5:35 pm

The ticket machine is painfully slow (especially when you see the train coming ) so I just buy a few Oneway tics at a time. You need to do that at BOTH EWR and Penn.
Old Apr 22, 02, 5:44 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
There may be something different about buying return tickets for EWR (which has $5 or $6 additional fee each way) but NJ Tranist sells discounted return tickets (excursion tickets) however they are not valid during peak times (towards NYC in the morning, towards EWR/Trenton in the afternoon).

Look at the shcedule on njtransit.com or pick up a paper schedule at the train station. Shaded areas indicate peak times.
Old Apr 22, 02, 6:34 pm
B1

Since I'm going there and I had to dig around on the web site, here's the link to save you the trouble:
http://www.njtransit.com/sf_connecti...t_station.shtm

[This message has been edited by B1 (edited 04-22-2002).]
Old Apr 22, 02, 9:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SFnFlaGuy:
Mauld, thanks for the advice! So the trip could take up to an hour to NY Penn Station? I thought they said it's supposed to take only 30 mins?
</font>
Typical Terminal C to EWR train station AirTrain time is 10 mins. These run every 3 mins or so. Factor in some more time (15 mins) for the wait at EWR station. 25-30 mins on the train, depending on Amtrak vs. NJ Transit. Total terminal to New York Penn Station time is around 50-55 mins. If you are going anywhere in New York City, factor in more time/fare for the subway or cab. Add 5 more minutes if your plane is into or out of Terminal A.

Now what were the claims the CO PR machine was making when they opened the EWR station... "that giant sucking sound of people flying out out of Newark instead of La Guardia". Somehow reality is different.

In a cynical mood today...
Old Apr 22, 02, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B1:
Since I'm going there and I had to dig around on the web site, here's the link to save you the trouble:
http://www.njtransit.com/sf_connecti...t_station.shtm

[This message has been edited by B1 (edited 04-22-2002).]
</font>
Thanks for the link! That was really helpful!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: