Wiki Posts
Search

Continental discriminates against the poor

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2005, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO
Continental discriminates against the poor

I have been refused an application for the Chase CO card due to my low credit rating. I only moved to the US last July, so have a limited credit history (even though I have 20 years "non transferrable" good credit with Experian, Visa and all the other US companies in the UK but that is another story).

Anyway, this means that I am denied the 5% discount offered by Continental via its cardholders. Chase have told me I can't even deposit a large amount of cash with them and have a low spending limit as they do not do secured cards.

So I, along with every other American resident who doesn't meet Chase's criteria for good credit is being denied access to these cheaper fares.

I think this is discrimination against the less well off and there should be some other way to access this 5% discount on fares.

Adrian Wilson
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:16 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Welcome to business. I know a big company that pays only 66-75% on full fares. Does this mean we're being discimminated against? It's perfectly legitimate.

Your best bet is to just keep on charging on another card and paying the bill on time. If you have a bunch of loans or mortage that you're paying off on schedule, that'll be good too. Then hopefully your credit rating will go up. I got a NW credit card (issued by US Bank) when I was just in college. (BTW, I work in the credit industry.)

- Pat
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Does this mean we're being discimminated against? It's perfectly legitimate.
Well, yes actually, this is third degree price discrimination. It is indeed legitimate. But you are being discriminated against.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:45 am

Programs: Continental Onepass
Thumbs down Place the blame where it belongs! Have some credibility!

Originally Posted by MaccAde
I have been refused an application for the Chase CO card due to my low credit rating. I only moved to the US last July, so have a limited credit history (even though I have 20 years "non transferrable" good credit with Experian, Visa and all the other US companies in the UK but that is another story).

Anyway, this means that I am denied the 5% discount offered by Continental via its cardholders. Chase have told me I can't even deposit a large amount of cash with them and have a low spending limit as they do not do secured cards.

So I, along with every other American resident who doesn't meet Chase's criteria for good credit is being denied access to these cheaper fares.

I think this is discrimination against the less well off and there should be some other way to access this 5% discount on fares.

Adrian Wilson
Adrian,

Just some food for thought!

This type of post shows very bad form and even lower credibility on your part. Put the blame where it belongs! First Off you are to blame, it is YOUR lack of credit. After you address that properly then you can go after Chase or whatever credit card is denying you the proper respect. These rules might seem arbitrary and discriminatory but they are usually come from past problems. So put the blame where it belongs, it is not Continentals fault and making posts like this is extremely bad taste.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
This is more an issue with Chase than with CO.

In fact, this is more an issue with the U.S. financial system than with Chase or CO. If you have a limited credit history here, good luck getting a mortgage, car loan, credit card, etc.

Your best bet is to try to get a cosigner on that credit card, or if you have a friend/relative who gets it, then use it for CO tickets and pay them back. In the mean time, build up your credit with a secured card or something else.

btw, keep in mind that the more you apply for, the more it hits your credit report, which actually lowers your score. So, apply for what you need as you're building up your score, and don't keep inquiring about new cards until you think you can get it.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:16 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Originally Posted by channa
This is more an issue with Chase than with CO.

In fact, this is more an issue with the U.S. financial system than with Chase or CO. If you have a limited credit history here, good luck getting a mortgage, car loan, credit card, etc.

Your best bet is to try to get a cosigner on that credit card, or if you have a friend/relative who gets it, then use it for CO tickets and pay them back. In the mean time, build up your credit with a secured card or something else.

btw, keep in mind that the more you apply for, the more it hits your credit report, which actually lowers your score. So, apply for what you need as you're building up your score, and don't keep inquiring about new cards until you think you can get it.
channa's got that right, if you gotta ask, you can't have it. It's the American way.

Once I was a nobody, with no credit except at the local gin mill, today I can heat my home burning all the credit card offers that come in the mail with no interest until.......
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:25 am

Programs: CO Platinum, Avianca Platinum Exec
I say sue them - sue them all.

This is terrible discrimination.

It's like being made to ride in the back of the bus.

I feel your pain.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:35 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Talking

Originally Posted by snake
Once I was a nobody, with no credit except at the local gin mill, today I can heat my home burning all the credit card offers that come in the mail with no interest until.......
LOL!

FIGHT BACK:

I always mail back the pre-paid postage return envelopes (empty) from the credit card issuers that we get Chateau Billiken. Approx 2 per week.
Make THEM pay (for the postage).
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Billiken
I always mail back the pre-paid postage return envelopes (empty) from the credit card issuers that we get Chateau Billiken. Approx 2 per week.
But that won't get you taken off any lists since they don't know it was from you... though it must feel good.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP

Adrian Wilson

This is such a crock of S**T. Credit is a priviledge not a right.. SORRY! You have to start out like any other american with new credit and work on building it that just how life is!

They are no descriminating against anyone... JP Morgan Chase is just evaluting risks and doing good business...

-Vincent
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:47 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Originally Posted by Billiken
LOL!

FIGHT BACK:

Once I got an offer of membership to the NRA, I shot back with with a couple of pieces of sheet lead from the local plumbing supply store stuffed in the envelope.

A pal of mine in the direct marketing business told me that they sometimes get bricks taped to the envelopes and have to pay the full First Class postage.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:48 am

I think many of you missed the OP point. Adrian has good credit history but finds that it is non-transferable. That is really the issue the outcome is no CO credit card and therefore no discount. BTW, since the card is an affiliation card any bad feelings of courese accrue to the both cafrd issuer--chase-- and the brand on the card this case CO.

That'st the way it is
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
So I, along with every other American resident who doesn't meet Chase's criteria for good credit
BAM - you just summed it up perfectly. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CONTINENTAL!!!!!

I think this is discrimination against the less well off
It has absolutely NOTHING to do with this. At a company I used to work for we had a large contingent from South Africa. All had six-figure incomes for my company... they were all "well-off". However, NONE of them could get a good credit card because of there lack of credit history here in the U.S. However, they did their research and realized that they would have to build their credit history... which takes time.

Going the secured credit card route is a good one, but I don't know of a single affinity credit card (airline, hotel, etc.) that allows you to have a secured account.

Anyway, welcome to the U.S. buddy. I just hope with your ignorant attitude you don't stay very long here...

Last edited by AKelley728; Jun 14, 2005 at 11:53 am
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO
I can't believe what some of you guys think.

Firstly, I have good credit with the same agencies that are used to evaluate customers over here. I have 2 UK credit cards alone with $40,000 worth of credit. Experian and Visa do not want to take account of that 20 year positive history because it makes more money that way by charging me more for credit. This is exactly the same as being charged insurance as if i was a 17 year old new driver rather than the 40 year old driver with 5 year's 60% premium reduction I had in the UK. It means I pay more. I am not saying it is bad business, I am saying it is discrimination.

My "fault" is having to move to a country that laughingly calls itself a capitalist society but where no-one has any capital. Give a population access to credit, corn syrup in every foodstuff and the false god of patriotism and they will be happy watching another Iraq death toll report on their new plasma TV's while eating donuts.

This country reminds me of how Britian was in 1910, bloated on the proceeds from a previously successful century which gave it political and monetary power. At the same time, patronising to the new country, China, which will dominate this century. Asia already funds your balance of trade deficit by grudgingly buying government bonds, it also buys your mortgage bonds, effectively owning your houses. It is already moving financial investment to its own markets rather than buy assets in a country whose currency falls quicker than it's interest rates can keep up with. Once the Yuan and Rupee become the prime investment currencies, the financial institutions here will be in deep trouble.

You have a great country here, full of wonderful people and great optimistism but your banking system completely sucks. You can't transfer money between different banks easily, you get charged by ATM's and you live in fear of a low credit score. How many of you are really satisfied with your bank/mortgage company/credit card company?

Still, there is always a system and rules in place and so long as they can keep being inflexible to newcomers bringing cash and expertise, they I am sure will be happy and you guys will no doubt moan that foreigners are not investing in the US.
After all, it is our "fault" for not spending half our waking lives in a shopping mall spending beyond our means and remortgaging our houses to pay for it.

After that rant I can finally point out that I am not blaming Continental for offering the discount through Chase, I am complaining that there should be other avenues whereby that 5% discount could be made available to other customers.

Give me a good reason why this isn't on offer directly through something equivalent to a President Club pack or whatever?

Adrian Wilson
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
I never impled you had bad credit, you moved here... you'll have to build credit like anyone else... I'm just about 21 and have worked hard to build fantastic credit. When I turned 18 I began working on building a great credit rating... and it's starting to pay off.

I doubt Continental is trying to single out a demogrpahic group. It's called marketing promotions, and special benefits to certain customers...

BTW I'm very happy with my creditors, I've been treated very well by them in general (Citi Bank, American Express, Wachovia, Chase and a few others...) Also I don't pay ATM fees, my bank refunds all of them for me... I've also never had a problem sending money between banks... ACH transcation clear in usually 3 day or wire transfer just as quick.

-Vincent

Last edited by vincom; Jun 14, 2005 at 9:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.