Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

757 - 300 Doubles Number Of First Class Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up CO Doubles 753 Seats!

Continental Airlines Doubles Number of First Class Seats on Boeing 757-300 Fleet
HOUSTON, June 13, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL), the world's sixth largest airline and the OAG "Airline of the Year 2005," today announced that it will double the number of first class seats offered on its Boeing 757-300 aircraft. The initiative is a result of high demand for the carrier's acclaimed first class service as the fleet is expanded and deployed into a more diverse set of markets.

"We are seeing a significant increase in demand for our first class product, a result of our competitive fares as well as our complimentary upgrade program for OnePass Elite members," said Larry Kellner, Continental's chairman and chief executive officer. "We are expanding our Boeing 757-300 fleet from nine to seventeen aircraft, and we're going to offer a larger first class cabin to accommodate this demand."

Continental's Boeing 757-300 aircraft are currently equipped with 12 seats in the first class cabin and 210 in coach. With the seat reconfiguration, the aircraft will have 24 seats in first class and 192 in coach. The first of the reconfigured aircraft is scheduled to be completed this summer, with the remainder to be completed by early 2006.

Continental's first class customers enjoy many benefits, including a higher level of service with EliteAccess privileges, which offers priority check-in, boarding, security screening and baggage handling. OnePass members purchasing first class receive 150 percent of actual miles that qualify toward Elite status. Continental's first class service is widely regarded as the best in the industry. The carrier earned the OAG "Best Executive/Business Class" award for the third consecutive year in 2005, and is consistently cited in publications like Conde Nast Traveler as having the best Business Class service, the best trans-Atlantic service and the best trans-Pacific service among U.S. carriers.

Continental Airlines is the world's sixth largest airline. Continental, together with Continental Express and Continental connection has more than 3,000 daily departures throughout the Americas Europe and Asia, serving 150 domestic and 130 international destinations, more than any other carrier in the world. Nearly 400 additional points are served via SkyTeam alliance airlines, which include Aeromexico, Air France/KLM, Alitalia, CSA Czech Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Korean Air and Northwest Airlines. With 41,000 employees, Continental has hubs serving New York, Houston, Cleveland and Guam, and together with Continental Express, carries approximately 56 million passengers per year. Continental consistently earns awards and critical acclaim for both its operation and its corporate culture. For the second consecutive year, FORTUNE magazine named Continental the No. 1 Most Admired Global Airline on its 2005 list of Most Admired Global Companies. Continental was also included in the publication's annual "Top 50" list, which ranks all companies, across a wide variety of industries, that appear in the Global Most Admired Companies issue. For more company information, visit http://www.continental.com .

SOURCE Continental Airlines

Corporate Communications of Continental Airlines,
1-713-324-5080, or [email protected]

http://www.prnewswire.com
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:39 pm

Programs: CO Platinum
Great news!

I got the email from Continental and thought is was a hoax!!

Great that they are listening. I have a flight in late July on a 300 - hopefully I will be on one of the lucky planes.

Surprised no one on here saw this coming!!
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Praise the Lord!! The first real enhancement I have seen in a long time.
Thanks to Cigarman for keeping this issue in front of Larry for a long time and for making an effective case to match the data that they should have seen a long time ago.

Today the 757-300....tomorrow, the 737-500?
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:42 pm

It is a good thing that they are correcting this situation, but the change to 12 seats beginning at the end of 2003 was the last straw for me. After 24 years as a OnePass member, usually at the top elite tier, I decided in December 2003 to spread my travel over several carriers in 2004, now I am gold on two other carriers and only silver on Continental. If CO did not make the switch to 12 seats I would probably still be almost 100% CO, even though flying from my smaller city, CO did not have the best service for me. I have not stepped on to a 757-300 since I heard about the reduction.

The change back to 24 seats is a very wise move, at least in my opinion. Good move!
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG
That's HUGE. UGE!
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'd love to know if the 275 people in Houston made a difference on this point...given how quickly Larry blew out this question when asked in April.

My biggest hope from all that was that Larry and the folks at CO would realize that people like us are a lot bigger group than they ever dreamed...

Steve
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

I wonder if CO managed to convince Boeing to pay for the retrofit to keep the original 753s in a common configuration with the 753s coming over from ATA. Regardless of the reason, this is a great move that will be appreciated by the frequent flyer community while helping alleviate some of the pain from the 735s and the 757s being converted in to 752s.

^ ^
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
737s

Now restore the F cabin on a 737 and we'll all be happy
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:54 pm

Today is an exciting day for us. Continental announced it will double the number of first class seats on our 757 - 300 fleet. The decision was based on a lot of feedback from our customers. We receive feedback from a variety of sources and I wanted to post directly to one of the sources for much of that feedback. It has been almost three months since the DO in Houston. The event was both fun and informative. On behalf of Larry Kellner, myself and the whole OnePass Continental team we wanted to say thanks for all the ideas that were shared. Many of you talked about the strong demand for the first class product. Doubling the number of first class seats in the 757 – 300 will help meet that demand as a result of our competitive first class fares as well as our complimentary upgrade program for our OnePass Elite members.

We currently have 9 757 - 300. We are expanding our fleet to 17. The current configuration is 12 seats in the first class cabin and 210 in coach. With the seat reconfiguration the aircraft will have 24 seats in first class and 192 in coach. The first of the reconfigured aircraft will be completed this summer with the whole 757 - 300 fleet completed in early 2006.

April 1st and 2nd was a great event. I wanted to once again thank cigarman for all the effort he put in to make it such a great event. Thanks to Randy Peterson and all the members of flyertalk who were able to make the event or share their ideas in this forum.

Look forward to the ongoing exchange of ideas. And as always thank you for your business.

Jim Compton
EVP Marketing
Continental Airlines
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Mr. Compton -

Thank you very much for posting this note and taking this great step with the 753s. On behalf of those FTers at the DO and your dedicated OnePass members, thank you - and the entire management at CO - for listening AND acting on our feedback. Keep up the great work & it will a pleasure to continue the dialogue in the future!

Regards,

MBM3
Old Jun 13, 2005, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sllevin
I'd love to know if the 275 people in Houston made a difference on this point...given how quickly Larry blew out this question when asked in April.

My biggest hope from all that was that Larry and the folks at CO would realize that people like us are a lot bigger group than they ever dreamed...

Steve

Your answer:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...52#post4181452
Old Jun 13, 2005, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Wow -- it's great to hear this news, and great to see someone from Continental posting directly to FlyerTalk! Welcome, Jim!
Old Jun 13, 2005, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Please continue this discussion in the other thread on this topic, located here.

Xyzzy
CO forum moderator
Old Jun 13, 2005, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Thanks for info and thanks for posting it here. Nothing like getting good news and getting it first. ^ Don't be a stranger now.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 3:25 pm

Programs: CO Gold
This is fantastic news! Thank you for personally announcing this on FT.

I had a great time in Houston and enjoy flying Continental. This just make it a bit more enjoyable.

Thank you again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.