FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Do CO Employees have "buddy passes"? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/43549-do-co-employees-have-buddy-passes.html)

PHL Sep 2, 2002 6:36 pm

Do CO Employees have "buddy passes"?

Do CO employees have buddy passes they can give to friends and family (i.e. a 'discount' fare to offer)? If so, what are the stipulations and rules? I know various airlines in the past had this, but I'm not sure what's going on now - especially in these cost-cutting times.

1passguy Sep 2, 2002 6:42 pm

Yes, each employee gets 10 BP's to use each year. They are no real bargain. The cost just went up from $20 to $100. In addition, the employee has to pay the tax on the fare, based on a Y-fare value. So, with the new rules, If I want to bring my sister in from Philadelphia, I'm looking at about $216 for a STANDY ticket in coach (buddy passes are not upgradable to first). Frankly, I can do about the same by shopping the web, and getting CONFIRMED space for her.
I am glad CO went up on the charge. Frankly, I'd like to see BP's disappear altogether, because my friends and family members bug me about them constantly.

dbaker Sep 2, 2002 9:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1passguy:
Frankly, I'd like to see BP's disappear altogether, because my friends and family members bug me about them constantly.</font>
Heh, that's pretty funny. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

snake Sep 2, 2002 9:22 pm

Don't your friends and family ever bug you for "free frequent flyer tickets" dbaker?

shanieboy83 Sep 2, 2002 11:24 pm

To help you more out with the buddy pass question... we get 10 domestic buddy passes and 6 international buddy passes every year. The International ones must be accomapnied by the employee but the domestic ones you can give to anyone. They can be a bargin... mainly for domestic. Don't really use my International ones. If I am to use a buddy pass, it is usually to take a friend along with me so that they wouldnt have to pay full fare and they would move up to my pass classification.

The cost of a buddy pass is the service charge plus the taxes bases off the full Y fare. The service charge is $50 r/t domestic, and $200 r/t international. However they just raised the price to $100 domestic and $300. Kind of a bummer but good if you wanna take a friend with on a vacation. Hope it helps.

-Shane

dbaker Sep 3, 2002 12:25 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by snake:
Don't your friends and family ever bug you for "free frequent flyer tickets" dbaker? </font>
Never... I've been known to sometimes upgrade family members on flights that I find out about, though. I don't mention it, so it's a nice surprise when they check in.

I think that most people realize that it's as good as cash and it would be like asking me for some.

PHL Sep 3, 2002 6:11 am

Thanks for the info everyone. I was looking to ask my friend, who's a pilot of CO, about 2 international buddy passes for MAN-EWR in December. I knew I'd get an answer here quicker than from him since he's on a 'stint' for another 10 days.

But, at $300 per ticket and the fact that he would have to be on the flight, I'll go through normal channels.

shanieboy83 Sep 3, 2002 9:08 am

PHL-

I don't know if they have raised the service charges yet because they are still showing the original prices on the website. You are looking at the $300 plus taxes which would bring you close to $400 for a buddy pass. You have to travel with your friend and buddy passes aren't eligible for First/Business First which sucks. Hope it helps!

-Shane

TransWorldOne Sep 3, 2002 10:52 am

Are Continental employees billed for their friend's and family's pass travel? I know some airlines charge the employee, while others (like America West) collect it from the passenger using the pass. This would be another reason for employees not to give away passes.

It is unfortunate that Continental has cut back this employee benefit so drastically.