Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Student E-certs and Availability

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2002, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Student E-certs and Availability

Amex student fares are reserved in "T" class. Does that mean they can only be reserved if "T" class is available? Or is it that whenever one books it it is booked as a "T" fare? Since the rules of these student e-certs require them to be booked only 21 days in advance (and not before), most "T" fares are gone, so I'm wondering what the deal is.

Also, has anyone had luck getting elite upgrades on the student fares(mileage upgrades are not allowed)?
Old Aug 1, 2002, 8:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by knit-in:
Amex student fares are reserved in "T" class. Does that mean they can only be reserved if "T" class is available? Or is it that whenever one books it it is booked as a "T" fare? Since the rules of these student e-certs require them to be booked only 21 days in advance (and not before), most "T" fares are gone, so I'm wondering what the deal is.

Also, has anyone had luck getting elite upgrades on the student fares(mileage upgrades are not allowed)?
</font>

Getting automated upgrades is no problem. I got many of them. You do need T-class availability to book domestic tickets. International tickets are ticked in all other classes (i.e., you cannot get the discount to apply towards a T-class fare basis).
Old Aug 1, 2002, 9:58 pm

Location: Houston, TX, USA; CO Plat Hilton Gold Starwood Gold
eyal,

have you gotten an upgrade on such a ticket in the last year? I think they changed the rules this year, so I've been somewhat hesitent to use the discount.

T class often opens up a few days before the flight.
Old Aug 2, 2002, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply folks. I've never booked these fares before so I beg your indulgence once more.
I'm trying to book a transcon which would be $279 plus taxes, surcharges etc. Now including these surcharges, how much should I be expecting to pay. I want to know because I can see fares on my itinerary for $330 on CO.com. Would the student fares work out less than that after including taxes? Otherwise I'm thinking I'm better off booking these fares now and save myself the heartache when elite upgrades don't come through.
Old Aug 2, 2002, 1:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RiceGradStudent:
have you gotten an upgrade on such a ticket in the last year? </font>
I did, but it wasn't really a domestic ticket. I got the international discount on a B-class ticket LAX-TLV. I did get the upgrade from LAX to EWR and back. In both times the the automated system gave me the upgrade btw 24 and 48 hrs before.

Old Aug 2, 2002, 2:17 pm

If the $279 is the fixed Amex Student Voucher price, I'd go ahead and pay the $330 on Co.com and save the voucher for later when the difference is more significant and you can save much more money.

After taxes, the $279 fare will come pretty darn close to the $330 fare.

My firm has been buying up transco tickets like mad recently, because the prices of $300-330 are too good to pass up. It really is a bargain, given the time of the year and the route.
Old Aug 2, 2002, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A number of CO etc transcons are available for $198-$212 rt plus tax etc. I booked PHL-SEA for that last week in Q class.

MisterNice
Old Aug 2, 2002, 10:06 pm

The true value of the CO Amex student fares is the ability to travel last minute. Last year I had fares that would pop up at over $2,000 on CO.com and would equal out to ~$320 including taxes using the certificate (booking the same day of travel). I never had an issue when upgrading (with NW status I would call up Worldperks and be manually upgraded when F inventory was available). If you are not within the 21 day window I suggest maybe using an entertainment book certificate for up to 15% off (if it's available).

That being said, just price it out on CO by following this link and selecting "redeem on CO.com:
http://home4.americanexpress.com/blu...eservation.asp
Old Aug 3, 2002, 7:31 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by J0HN:

That being said, just price it out on CO by following this link and selecting "redeem on CO.com:
http://home4.americanexpress.com/blu...eservation.asp
</font>
Thanks much for the link. I wan't aware one could book these on Co.com. Does one get the online booking bonus for e-cert fares?
---------------------------------------------

All right, I'm trying to price a ticket using the AMex student e-certs for departure on Sat, Aug 10 and returning Mon, Aug 12. The price that I'm getting is for a full "Y" fare of $2,104.50 (incl. taxes etc.).

So much for last minute fares.

[This message has been edited by knit-in (edited 08-03-2002).]
Old Aug 3, 2002, 8:50 am

knit-in,
You should go to itn and see if there is any T inventory available for the flights you want (I believe they need to be on CO metal). If there is then call up CO and see if they can book it. One time I was told nothing was available, but after looking on itn, I found that if I waited one extra hour at the connecting airport T class was available. A quick call to CO with the exact flight numbers got me the ticket. If you list your route here maybe someone can find something.

Edited to add: I believe you can also fly standby, so if you see a later flight that has availability--and the earlier flights do not look crowded, you may want to try that, but ask to be certain.

[This message has been edited by J0HN (edited 08-03-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.