How can i get upgrade?

Old Jun 12, 02, 9:08 am
Original Poster

How can i get upgrade?

Hello all,
i am flying tommorow with a friend of mine from Newark to Miami.two economy tickets.I have no miles on Continental but i want to get an upgrade.I was told that continental does not offer revenue upgrades.Any other solutions??
Old Jun 12, 02, 9:21 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Have you considered prayer?
Old Jun 12, 02, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Well i would have but i am not so desperate for an upgrade.I was just wondering if there was a chance i could obtain it.!!!
Old Jun 12, 02, 9:28 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Just give them your VISA card and ask for the upgrade - I know it is hard to believe but they really DO upgrade tickets for revenue!!!!
(Even so the emloyees do not like it)

------------------
Viele Grüße

Oliver
Old Jun 12, 02, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Any idea how much that would cost.I payed for each roundtrip ticket aprox. 250 $
Old Jun 12, 02, 9:48 am

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
LMAO... more than you'd really care to spend, plus a $100 change fee per ticket...
Old Jun 12, 02, 9:59 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
The difference between Y and F ist about $1500

------------------
Viele Grüße

Oliver
Old Jun 12, 02, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Just out of idle curiosity, with no miles/status on CO and having paid a rock-bottom economy fare, what "other solutions" did you think would be a) reasonable and fair and b) might work?

You either pay the fare, leverage your elite staus (increasingly hard), use your miles (harder still) or win the lottery.

[This message has been edited by BearX220 (edited 06-12-2002).]
Old Jun 12, 02, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

To BearX220

Thank you very much for your reply.I found all your solutions very interresting and i think that you should seek a professional carrer in travel consulting.Moreover,if i knew of any other possible ways to upgrade i definitely wouldn't have post my question.
So i suggest that next time think twice before posting something that does not actually answer a question and which at the end of the day is totally...Useless!!

Dimitris
Old Jun 12, 02, 1:11 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Dimitris -

Before you go off insulting those of us from whom you hope to glean information, you might want to think again. Bear made a very good point, you just don't like the answer you've gotten.

You may as well have worded your question this way...

"Hi everyone. I've bought a cheap ticket on CO, I have no FF status, heck I don't even have a frequent flyer account! How do I convince them that I'm sooooooo important that they'll bump regular customers who spend a whole lot more, and put me in First Class?"

Trust me, you got treated with kindness after asking your question. What you are asking for is out of line, and you truly have no reason to expect it, let alone even ask. Go ahead, ask some poor agent at EWR tomorrow for an upgrade. They'll politely turn you down, and trust me, they'll share a good laugh over it when you are gone!

Discount ticket? No FF account, let alone no elite status? BWAAAA HAAA HAAA!!!!!
Old Jun 12, 02, 1:27 pm

Well there is one way:

Continental dishes out one-segment first class upgrades on an infrequent basis to disgruntled passengers.

If you get a hold of one of these, then you *MIGHT* be able to upgrade.

Also in the past, you could buy what is known as a "Prestige Pack" for like $99 and contained in this pack used to be several one-way upgrade certs as well as some presiddents club passes and some other useless coupons....I don't believe that they sell these prestige packs anymore. What you can try to do is show up at EWR and goto the service counter. Ask politely if you could buy a prestige pack. If they have them, buy one and ask the agent to see if they can upgrade you.

The catch is that you cannot upgrade until 2 hrs before the flight. Usually most flights are all booked with elites and non-revs by this point. I have successfully used prestige pack upgrades 5-6 times in the past. Good luck!
Old Jun 12, 02, 1:31 pm

I also forgot to add that you might be able to "buy" some miles.

First call CO reservations to see if there are any seats in the F bucket for upgrade on the flight that you are interested in.

If so, then create a Onepass account and then call the Onepass service center. Tell them that youd like to buy 10,000 miles. This will cost $250.

Once you have the miles in your account, you can then use it for a one-way upgrade.
Old Jun 12, 02, 1:35 pm

I've heard that if you dress extremely well (or extremely horrible) your chances are increased for being upgraded on Continental.

For a real solution it is possible (although unlikely the seats are even available for upgrade), open a OnePass Account (you and your friend) and buy each other 10K miles for $250.
---------------
Birthdays, graduations or special occasions - any celebration is a great reason to give OnePass miles redeemable for reward travel on Continental and our airline partners. For only $25,* you can purchase OnePass miles for family and friends in increments of 1,000. You may purchase for as many accounts as you wish, with a limit of 12,000 OnePass miles per account.

All you need is the OnePass account number of the person for whom you’re buying the miles. And because OnePass miles do not expire, they can be redeemed whenever it’s convenient. Giving OnePass miles is an easy and affordable way to reward the people in your life.

To give the gift of OnePass miles, just call the OnePass Service Center at 1-800-554-5522 with the recipient’s OnePass account number. Be sure to mention Promotion Code GG ONE TB0035.

Old Jun 12, 02, 2:41 pm
R&R

Yes John, I have been considering dressing DOWN to UPgrade for my flights next week!

But since, I have over 1 Mil CO miles, I won't take any chances and offer them up for the UPgrade.

Old Jun 12, 02, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP ; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sgopal2:
W
Also in the past, you could buy what is known as a "Prestige Pack" for like $99 and contained in this pack used to be several one-way upgrade certs as well as some presiddents club passes and some other useless coupons....I don't believe that they sell these prestige packs anymore.
</font>
They never discontinued the prestigte pack (still $99), but it doesn't contain the upgrade certs anymore.

To answer the original question, I echo the earlier sentiment- its an unreasonable request, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: