Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Gate Agents to refuse check-in at ticket counter? - Must use machine

Old Apr 29, 2002, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Interesting note from Austin: Ticket Counter Agent asked if I would like to use the e-ticket machine to check in. I said that I didn't like the machine that much, and would prefer the "personal touch" to check in. Her reply: "I'll do it this time, but you'll be required to use it starting tomorrow". That was it - nothing polite about it. Then, I had to ask her for an upgrade (after already supplying her with my Elite card), and to stand by on my connecting flight. I don't feel like I should have to ask or beg.

I told my story to the P-Club agent a little later (after a delayed flight), and she said "Honey, just show your P-Club card and ID at security, and they'll let you in. Just check in here and I'll take care of you."

Has anyone else been told that they'll no longer let you check in at the ticket counter?
Old Apr 29, 2002, 1:34 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
I've heard that complaint here in CLE as well. On a recent NW flight to DTW the person sitting next to me (in FC) said "at least you can talk to a human being when you check in". CO has them lined up arcoss the whole ticket counter in CLE now. Agents are apparently for bag check only...
Old Apr 29, 2002, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
At ATL, the woman at the first class/elite line refused to check me in last December.

From my Trip Report:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
The drive to the airport from Madison was about 45 minutes shorter than expected, so I was at the Continental ticket counter almost two hours prior to departure. I waited at the First Class / Elite line for a bit for less than a moment until one of the agents shouted, “You E-ticket?” at me. The agent was wearing a do-rag that must be a new aspect of the Continental uniform. I said that I did have an E-Ticket and she shouted at me, “Use the E-Ticket(sic) machine.” I had yet to step off the “First Class and Onepass Elite” carpet and reach the counter before she was waving me away.

I was the only customer at the ticket counter, so I wanted to check in with an agent; it’s faster (no matter what the eService machine ads say) and when they check your ID at the ticket counter, they won’t necessarily need to check it again at the gate. Additionally, the boarding passes that the eService machine fits out are bigger than the regular airline paper stock boarding passes and are softer, so it’s difficult to slide them into my Continental leather travel wallet.

I asked if she could check me in and she sighed, and very rudely said, “No, you’re an E-Ticket, you use the E-ticket(sic) machine." I clearly was not thrilled with this solution, yet preceded back to the eService machines that she was pointing at. Truly First Class service so far. Then again, I’m not one of their best customers – I’m an e-ticket.

I swiped my Gold Elite card in the machine and while I waited for it to pull up my reservation, the surly ticket agent that I had interacted with before came over to the woman monitoring the machines and mocked customers who don’t know to use the eService machines and how tough it is for her to have to redirect all the stupid (implied) passengers.

I was only annoyed before. Now, when she mocks me while I stand there, I was very tempted to cancel the transaction and ask her to convert my e-ticket to a paper ticket and check-in at the gate.

I commented rather loudly to Lindsey that it must be tough for her to have to not do her job and have to deal with all the customers that are keeping her facing-bankruptcy-just-a-couple-months-ago company in business. Lindsey, of course, was embarrassed and the ticket agent returned to her post behind the ticket counter.

I found it most humorous that she invented her own policy that encouraged the use of a machine that was poised to put her out of a job. Not my problem.

I checked the seat maps before printing my boarding passes to see if any other seats were available (just for curiosity sake, and to possibly move forward on my AUS leg). There are three or four eService machines at ATL and I was the only person using any of them, but there was the woman watching over my shoulder from a few feet away that shouted, “There aren’t any other seats! It’s all full!” at me while I browsed through the seatmaps of the two flights. It was great to have a translator there to explain to me what was on the screen once the seat selection page came up.

I printed out my boarding passes, passed by the ticket counter, thanked the do-rag gate agent (who clearly avoided looking at me), and was on my way.
</font>
[/quote]
Old Apr 29, 2002, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, dbaker, for the great story - You know, I usually shop at Randall's and pay a little more to get better service than Albertson's. That's usually the way it goes... pay more, get more. Somewhere along the line, Continental is getting misdirected... Pay more (not only in money, but in time), get LESS?

I forgot to mention that while I was waiting in the first class line for five minutes, she was on a phone call with who I assumed was a customer. After five minutes, I hear "okay, I love you, too". She hangs up, I hear "click, click, click", then she looks up and starts her e-ticket speech.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 2:40 pm

I don't mind using e-check in. However, I've noticed that CO is trying to force me to use it. I'm not sure why. Are the counter agents trying to become unemployed?

Recently, I flew on a CO flight using a NW FF award. Because of a previous experience, I thought it was possible that the e-check in would not be successful. An error message to see the agent appeared. I also got the "use the machine" speech.

So far, there have been trips that didn't require any speech (booking on-line, e-check in, no conversation with any of the crew, arrival at destination).
Old Apr 29, 2002, 2:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by duxfan:
I've heard that complaint here in CLE as well. On a recent NW flight to DTW the person sitting next to me (in FC) said "at least you can talk to a human being when you check in". CO has them lined up arcoss the whole ticket counter in CLE now. Agents are apparently for bag check only...</font>
That's good to know about CLE for my flight this weekend. So does that mean there's no real use for the elite lines?

Old Apr 29, 2002, 2:59 pm
tvx

Programs: UA Gold
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dbaker:
[b]At ATL, the woman at the first class/elite line refused to check me in last December.

I asked if she could check me in and she sighed, and very rudely said, “No, you’re an E-Ticket, you use the E-ticket(sic) machine." I clearly was not thrilled with this solution, yet preceded back to the eService machines that she was pointing at. Truly First Class service so far. Then again, I’m not one of their best customers – I’m an e-ticket. [end quote]

I'm glad my wife wasn't there. The CO agent would have recived "the look," a couple of quick remarks about the future of her employment, and then my wife would have stood at the counter to make the agent help us.

After our elite seats were "lost" in retaliation, I would have gone to the PC to make nice with the agents there and get our seats back.

My wife has some Italian blood and some Irish blood. . . you don't mess with her. . . ;&gt;

[This message has been edited by tvx (edited 04-29-2002).]

[This message has been edited by tvx (edited 04-29-2002).]
Old Apr 29, 2002, 3:13 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kishna:
That's good to know about CLE for my flight this weekend. So does that mean there's no real use for the elite lines?

</font>

yes and no. the elite line now appears to lead to the "elite self service machine". they moved the line from the far right hand end of the counter (when facing it), to the far left hand end (closest to the entrance to C). just show your e-ticket receipt and go thru security. there are still plenty of unused machines along the concourse. the one in the CLE P-club has been removed....

remember, it's not the "e-ticket machine", it's the "self-service machine". gotta make it sound like the cheap substitute that it is. give me 250 mile everytime i check in for my NW flight, and I'll rethink my position.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 3:27 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Geez, get an empty cardboard box and demand to check it. Pick up at your destination is optional.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 3:30 pm

I had the same issue recently checking in for a CO Express flight from IAH to BNA. I figured that since there was no line and two CO Express ticket counter agents standing there, I'd do the check-in the old-fashioned way. I was strongly encouraged to use the eService machines instead.

I would say that there is one airport (not IAH) that I fly into and out of often where the ticket counter agents are typically so contrary that I use the eService machine regardless.

Oh, well. If I wanted to deal with enthusiastic employees, I'd just fly WN.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
Geez, get an empty cardboard box and demand to check it. Pick up at your destination is optional. </font>
That won't solve the problem, as the eService
machines allow you to check bags (at least the ones at the ticket counter do).
Old Apr 29, 2002, 4:37 pm
Suspended

ticket agents are short sighted. while in the short run forcing CUSTOMERS to use the machine will result in them using a few less brain cells. but as these machines catch on, don't they think Gordo will squeeze them out of their jobs?
Old Apr 29, 2002, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
That's the purpose of the machines. Convenience when there's a line is just a notable side-effect.

------------------
daniel baker -- [email protected]
Reliable, fast, and unmoderated forums at ITYT.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 5:05 pm

Location: Austin, TX - AA ExPlat (1.4MM); Hyatt Plat; Hilton Dia; SPG Plat; National ExecElite, Hertz 5*
I had the same experience as bry99 a couple of weeks ago at IAH with CO Express. Waited in line (one person ahead of me) for the full service check-in since I wanted to check a bag and didn't like the looks of the longish e-ticket line for bag check since it was being served by a lone agent. Got up to the full-serve agent and she tells me that she "cannot" check me in because I have an e-ticket. I stare at her blankly and ask her why not. She states again that she "cannot" check me in due to my e-ticket - clearly no actual explanation was going to be forthcoming. I ask her "cannot or WILL not check me in?" She points me to the e-ticket machines (now with an even longer line of people) and refuses further discussion on the matter. Grumbling, I move to the other line and wait to check in at the machine - finally get up to the plate and the machine crashes and tells me to "please see a ticket agent." Fending off a complete meltdown, I sucked it up and went to another machine, completed my check-in and then settled in for the long wait in line to process my bag with the e-ticket agent. Total check in time (remembering that I was only originally behind one person to begin with) was 25 minutes. Then on to the security mess.

I was (and still am now that I write this) pissed off about this whole deal. CO's customer service continues to absolutely suck, especially compared to my alternate carrier, Delta.

Old Apr 29, 2002, 5:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by duxfan:
I've heard that complaint here in CLE as well. On a recent NW flight to DTW the person sitting next to me (in FC) said "at least you can talk to a human being when you check in". CO has them lined up arcoss the whole ticket counter in CLE now. Agents are apparently for bag check only...</font>
You found a helpful NW agent in CLE?

I'm just kidding, but there is one or two bad apples. I correspond with one of them via e-mail, and he says a few of them "will work in one speed even if the walls were falling down."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.