Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is in-Cabin coach service on EWR-HNL?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2002, 10:56 am
Original Poster

What is in-Cabin coach service on EWR-HNL?

I have an upcoming flight, Newark to Honolulu:

Continental flight #15
Aircraft: Boeing 767-400ER
Depart: Newark at 12:15 PM
Arrive: Honolulu 5:50 PM
Economy class

The online itenerary says that this flight serves lunch and it is a 10 hour 35 minute flight.

Being that it is such a long flight, I can't believe that all they give is lunch.

Does anybody have experience on this flight? What kind of food service is given? (ie: how many meals / snacks, etc). Also, what about entertainment (ie: movies)?

Any feedback you can provide would be appreciated!
Old Feb 12, 2002, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I took that flight in Nov & my parents took it last week.

Unless you bring food for dinner - count on starving.

A regular lunch is served with a snack of a very small sandwich around dinner time.

Luckily, we had some nuts with us to tide us over. Mom & Dad, having been warned, brought a sandwich for dinner.

You're now warned too .

Mary
Old Feb 12, 2002, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
How weird -- you get two meals each way from IAH, which is significantly closer.

------------------
daniel baker -- [email protected]
Reliable, fast, and unmoderated forums at ITYT.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 12:29 pm

Programs: CO Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by steve100:
Also, what about entertainment (ie: movies)</font>
You'll be on the 767-400, which has personal video screens in each seatback. You should have at least 3 cycles of ~6 movie channels. Unless you have your own headphones, you'll have to purchase a set for $2.

Also, in case you're interested, drinks are NOT free in Coach to HNL like they are on US-Europe and US-Asia flights.

[This message has been edited by IAH_FLYER (edited 02-12-2002).]
Old Feb 12, 2002, 12:53 pm
Suspended

the food is yucky and the drink service is sparce. bring food and water. but, then again, i bring food and water on flights from EWR (Newark International Airport) to ORD (Chicago O'Hare International Airport), for example.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 02-12-2002).]
Old Feb 12, 2002, 4:15 pm

I've had two meal services (well, a meal and a snack) on a 5.5 hour flight, so I'm sure they'll have something for you. My saving grace lately, though, has been stopping at the grocery store and picking up some trail mix and a bottle of water to get me through those "weak moments". Planters has an awesome Carribean Blend... :-)

Just trying to stay positive.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IAH_FLYER:

Also, in case you're interested, drinks are NOT free in Coach to HNL like they are on US-Europe and US-Asia flights.
</font>
Interesting, I flew CO from LAX to HNL in 1993 and they treated it just like an international flight -- free drinks, free movie, and slightly upgraded food. But, I guess that was 9 years ago.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
BusinessFirst service up front doesn't mean that it's international coach service.
Old Feb 13, 2002, 3:27 am

Programs: OnePass
I have flown this flight a couple times this year and a couple times last year. You'll get a hot meal (usually choice of Beef Stroganoff and Chicken with Pasta, or choice of Beef Stroganoff and Lasagna) on take-off, and a snack (Turkey sandwich, pasta salad, fruit, candy bar) about an hour and a half before landing. There should be at least three or four full drink services, and, depending on how lazy the crew is, they might also come around at least one more time with trays of juice and water. Unless you have a big appetite and/or you can get some sleep, this will be enough food and drink for 10+ hours. It was for me.

You'll also get an eye-cover and ear plugs to help you sleep.

The entertainment is, for coach, the best you'll get to/from Hawaii. Every seat has a personal TV with six channels to choose from. There are about two recent-release movies, a couple old movies, and two channels of old TV shows to choose from. You'll also be able to play games like Tetris, Space Invaders, and card games. The control also has a built-in telephone.

I've flown Delta, American, and Hawaiian 764s to/from Hawaii and only Continental has these in coach (from hearsay, United also does not have PTVs in coach). (Delta had the controls built into the arm rest, but no PTVs, at least on the flight I was on)

[This message has been edited by anthonyanthony (edited 02-13-2002).]
Old Feb 13, 2002, 3:36 am

Programs: OnePass
oops

[This message has been edited by anthonyanthony (edited 02-13-2002).]
Old Feb 13, 2002, 3:38 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
If you're flying this route in coach, you should thank your lucky stars that CO finally retired the DC-10s on this route.

Your snack or breakfast would usually be served frozen, the seats would be falling apart, the bathroom would be barely operable, the PA system would be inaudible and the movie screen would be so marked-up and scratched that you would not be able to watch it.

Also, keep in mind that CO has so many coach reward passengers on this route that the FAs do not see coach pax as "customers", they see them as "cattle" or cargo.

If you can't get up front, I'd strongly suggest any other airline to HNL.
Old Feb 13, 2002, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your insights! I have to admit, I surely hope that anthonyanthony's post is the correct one as it sounds like the best of all worlds....

Mahalo!
Old Feb 13, 2002, 7:39 am

I am flying this route next month in BF (used the easypass for a first ever trip to Hawaii!-yeah!) Anyone done this lately? Wondered if there were the BF cutbacks like I read about in other posts? Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2002, 11:08 am

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
luv2go,

The Continental website still shows a full BF menu for EWR-HNL and HNL-EWR for February, so I would assume there haven't been any cutbacks...
Old Feb 13, 2002, 2:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by luv2go:
I am flying this route next month in BF (used the easypass for a first ever trip to Hawaii!-yeah!) Anyone done this lately? Wondered if there were the BF cutbacks like I read about in other posts? Thanks!</font>
I just did IAH-HNL-IAH in BF. The outbound service was great. The meal was as listed on the CO website. Water glasses were constantly being refilled during the flight, and we had a nice, hot snack prior to arrival. The F/A's were great, and I would give the flight a grade of "A".
The return also had the full BF service, but the F/A's were much less attentive. They also mis-timed the breakfast service, and ended up collecting the trays just as they served the fruit plate; therefore, no breakfast for us!

------------------
Hell hath no fury like that of an elite frequent flyer in coach.

I am not real smart, but I can lift heavy things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.