Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Any insight on what "added features" are included on the new lifetime P Club cards?

Any insight on what "added features" are included on the new lifetime P Club cards?

Old Aug 31, 01, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA ExPlat 2012 & Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum

Got a package from CO today with a new lifetime President's Club card. My old one looks exactly identical, and has a working magnetic stripe. The only small difference is that my new card has a small black star printed on it near the OP/FF#.

The enclosed letter says the card will help me access some "added features."

This could probably be characterized as overly curious, but anyone know whazzup with this?

[This message has been edited by thesilb (edited 08-31-2001).]
Old Aug 31, 01, 6:10 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
If they use the "added features" euphemism like they use the "program enhancement" euphemism, I'd put the darn thing in a fireproof box, bury it in the yard, and keep using the old one.

[This message has been edited by NJDavid (edited 08-31-2001).]
Old Aug 31, 01, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That does sound mildly intriguing-- maybe you should e-mail them and ask? I haven't gotten mine yet.
Old Aug 31, 01, 7:51 pm
In Memoriam

Could this be a hint of the much delayed Wings alliance???
Old Sep 1, 01, 12:24 am

OK - I give - what is the "Wings alliance" ?
Old Sep 1, 01, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was told last week the completion date is Dec 15 2001 for these mailings. Also CO estimates about 15% of the lifetimers addresses are out-of-date so everyone should check and recheck your corrcct address is on file.

MisterNice
Old Sep 1, 01, 5:29 pm

I received mine yesterday. Noticed that the member since date is missing. I purchased mine in 1975 and enjoyed seeing the 75 on the card. Also I now have to write them to get the spouse card issued in the new format. It did not happen automatically.
Old Sep 1, 01, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MisterNice;

Whomever told you of the mailing dates, did you get any clue from them as to what the new "feature(s)" might be?

Maybe a limit of 50 bagels per member per PC club visit? If that's the case I would think that would be a greater issue with you than HoKeY fares and EUA combined.
Old Sep 1, 01, 6:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mikey:
OK - I give - what is the "Wings alliance" ?</font>
The Wings Alliance was/is a proposed alliance between Northwest/Continental/KLM/Alitalia, but it has never been made official in any way (of course, certain "members" have agreements with each other, but there is no complete, receprical, everybody-is-tied-to-everybody-else relationship) and things have changed. Originally KLM and Alitalia had a virtual merger of sorts (combined ticket offices/phone numbers/airport facilities), then there was a huge falling out (forget the exact details) and the two European carriers broke up. Since then Alitalia has announced its intention to join the Air France/Delta Air Lines dominated SkyTeam Alliance. So the main guys now are KL/NW/CO. Of course NW has a relationship with both KL and CO, but currently CO has no relationship with KL. Things are getting closer, though, as CO will be flying Houston to Amsterdam sometime next year. I forget if this has already been announced to have a KLM codeshare, but, if not, I wouldn't be surprised if a codesharing relationship between CO/KL is established, with a full-fledged KL/CO/NW alliance to follow (as an aside, CO members can earn elite miles on NW coded flights operated by KLM, but not on regular KLM flights). Additionally, Malaysian Airlines has been discussed as a possible member. Right now, though, it appears clear that Continental isn't putting too much effort into global alliances. Gordon Bethune has been quoted on saying that CO already has a European hub and it is Newark International Airport. CO's philosophy in this regard is different than NW/KL, where you fly on a NW/KL flight to AMS (or to a NW hub, then to AMS), and connect onward to your European final destination (which is why NW has very few European destinations other than AMS). Meanwhile CO flies people to Newark and then flies them on transatlantic flights to dozens of European cities. I personally like connecting in the US better than in Europe, so CO's policy fits with me. Additionally, unless you are coming from a NW/KL gateway, the NW/KL setup requires two stops (one in a gateway, one in AMS), unless, of course, you are going to one of NW's few European destinations.

I hope this makes sense!
Old Sep 2, 01, 1:01 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
I really appreciate the new card with "added features" like the new "*", I guess it was worth giving up the "Member Since:" so that the Delta refugees don't have to feel like they are second class members since they've only been members since ##

Thanks, Continental, for going to the time and expense to send out the cool new card, even though I could have gone through life with the old card with out ever knowing what I was missing.

Still, I kind of got attached to the old one, I think I'll keep using it until they say something, and I'll just say that I haven't been home to check the mail. (Did they send it bulk mail?, I told the housekeeper to throw out any mail without first class postage)
Old Sep 2, 01, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA MM, BV Titanium, HH Diamond
We bought the lifetime memberships early this year when our 3 year cards ran out. The new cards they issued to us at that time have both the * and "member since" on them (only the date the Ionosphere Clubs were converted to PCs in '92 and not the date we joined IClub in the early 80's). No new cards have been received recently.
Old Sep 2, 01, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JonNYC-

Dont knock my tax-advantaged booming bagel business. I may be flying the CO competition 100% next year so that should free up a couple of dozen EAU F/C seats every quarter or two for those who keep whining about never getting an upgrade. You interested in a booming bagel business?

Seriously my informant sez all the NEW lifer-cards will have the famous magnetic stripe (ie mine presently doesnt have one) so they dont have to type in your number. Also they will be testing having the passenger "swipe" the lifer-card outside the entrance of selected clubs in order to obtain entrance. There are rumors the P-Club program will be revised soon to entrance only on your day of flight. Lifer-card holders will hopefully be exempt (she sez it is being discussed).

MisterNice

[This message has been edited by MisterNice (edited 09-02-2001).]
Old Sep 2, 01, 8:06 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">There are rumors the P-Club program will be revised soon to entrance only on your day of flight. </font>
Wow - that would be a big change. I would imagine that a lot of their members that also carry an Amex Platinum card would not renew their P-Club membership - I certainly would take that route. Although in practice I rarely use the club on non-flying days (or when flying on another airline), that's supposedly the reason I tell myself I should be a member. I wonder if they have considered how this might affect revenue - I suspect it would be much more than any incremental costs incurred from the few people out there that might be abusing the current rules.
Old Sep 2, 01, 8:23 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NJDavid:
If they use the "added features" euphemism like they use the "program enhancement" euphemism, I'd put the darn thing in a fireproof box, bury it in the yard, and keep using the old one. </font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MisterNice
There are rumors the P-Club program will be revised soon to entrance only on your day of flight.

</font>

See! See! I told you so...another "enhancement" likely to be headed your way courtesy of the good folks at Continenarrogant Airlines.
Old Sep 2, 01, 8:36 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
As a result of this dastardly "enhancement" to President's Club membership, snake predicts that few lifetime members will renew, Amex Platinum or not.

Search this Thread