Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Island hoppped on CO Micronesia?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: OnePass/*Gold, CX , QR , UA MP
There was a small stall selling beer and chips inside the small terminal and that was it, there was no food court. We waited for about 2 hours in the plane and when it was decided by the onboard mechanic that it was beyond his capacity to address, they radioed HNL thus a spare plane was sent to fetch us. We were given the last meal (dinner) available on onboard and we were told that there were no other catering options on island (understandably). After dinner, we waited for close to 4 hours in the terminal. The Guam-based inflight crew dealt with it and cared for us impeccably. I have never heard them complain, as a matter of fact, they were very light-spirited and jolly. I'm afraid I would never encounter the same Positive reaction from mainland-based crew given the same scenario.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:50 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by COFreqFlyer
Did the island hopper back a month ago, westbound. Wonderful.

HNL-GUM is not truly international, as GUM is a US Trust Territory and you do not clear immigration or customs on arrival in GUM.

There is no RCC in GUM, only a PClub.

Just want to clarify, Guam is NOT a US TRUST Territory. There are no more US Trust Territories and it was never one to begin with.

You are correct that you won't have to clear immigration in Guam, but you do have to go through Guam customs upon arrival.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:49 am

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
They didn't make you sit on the broken plane for 5 hours I hope...maybe they bought you dinner? MAJ does have a food court, right?
In Majuro, they would let you go to the small terminal building. But if the same situation happens in Kwajalein, you are stuck in the plane for 7-8 hours, until they send another plane from GUM or HNL
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Does HNL-GUM and vice versa count as an international flight as far as Star Alliance access rules for *G are concerned? In other words, will I have access to the PC in HNL before the flight to GUM and will I have access to the RCC when connecting (separate ticket) from GUM-HNL to United's HNL-SFO?
To report back my experiences:

HNL PC was closed in the morning (I think opens at 11am, island hopper leaves at 7am). Didn't try RCC, but suspect it was closed as well.

Flying GUM-SPN, got access to the PC in Guam no questions asked (agent didn't even want to see *G card since BP showed 1K status).

Flying SPN-GUM-HNL-SFO, again got access to PC in GUM and also to RCC in HNL.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Just a heads up that it looks like the island-hopper is going to skip Kosrae on Wednesdays (Thursday from MAJ or KWA) - (I checked my dates next year in March). Makes for a quicker trip to Guam meaning you can connect to Japan without overnighting in Guam. Actually, that's the case for all west bound island hoppers now I think.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Sorry to hear that. I enjoyed hoping off the plane an buying those green tangerines from the natives. I'd rather see the plane depart HNL an hour earlier and include Kosrae
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:46 am

Is there something like an island hopper pass, where you buy a ticket for the route and have stopovers included?

Actually, I'm dreaming of something like a CO trip from North America to Hong Kong, then to Guam, then to Cairns, back to Guam, then the island hopper with stopovers wherever possible, then Honolulu and then back to the continent. Awesome honeymoon dream! I guess I would need to marry a miles millionaire for that. :-)
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I have the yearly-option of taking the island hopper in May to GUM and eventually to PEK....I have a few days to burn on both ends of my trip, so could someone tell me if there is a preferable beach destination on one of the CO Mike stops? A basic hotel on the beach that isn't too touristy-Waikikiesque-Guamlike would be preferable. Also, does it matter if one takes the hopper East to West or West to East?

I always research this topic every year on my holiday to Asia and decide against it....tis 5 years now and I think I am missing out. Any help would be appreciated!!!
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by theblakefish
I have the yearly-option of taking the island hopper in May to GUM and eventually to PEK....I have a few days to burn on both ends of my trip, so could someone tell me if there is a preferable beach destination on one of the CO Mike stops? A basic hotel on the beach that isn't too touristy-Waikikiesque-Guamlike would be preferable. Also, does it matter if one takes the hopper East to West or West to East?

I always research this topic every year on my holiday to Asia and decide against it....tis 5 years now and I think I am missing out. Any help would be appreciated!!!
I flew this between Christmas and New Year 2010. I think you're at little risk of finding anything "touristy-Waikikiesque-Guamlike". GUM is many times larger than the largest of the Micronesian stops.

Many people I spoke with on the trip advised against spending much time on Chuuk. Something about "the warrior mentality and sharpened machetes."

Regarding the East/West question, the East to West direction flies from early morning to dusk. The West to East direction flies at night so there's little to see.

It's definitely worth doing - but only in the forward cabin.

mw362

Last edited by mw362; Jan 21, 2011 at 6:06 pm
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:03 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Why are award seats essentially non existent, especially in the MAJ-GUM direction? Not even economy easy pass, never mind BF.
Looks like there is somewhat more availability GUM-MAJ but since there are no one way awards on CO, if there are no seats on the return then you cannot get the award at all (am I correct?)
Who uses these award seats? When is the best time to look for them - 330 days out or closer to time?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:26 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Why are award seats essentially non existent, especially in the MAJ-GUM direction? Not even economy easy pass, never mind BF.
Looks like there is somewhat more availability GUM-MAJ but since there are no one way awards on CO, if there are no seats on the return then you cannot get the award at all (am I correct?)
Who uses these award seats? When is the best time to look for them - 330 days out or closer to time?
i book 3 tickets recently. so it is there! maybe it is because i am CO plat?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:07 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Just to be clear, there is no BF on these flights. It is the same as the old Domestic F seats
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Just to be clear, there is no BF on these flights. It is the same as the old Domestic F seats
Thank you.
Nevertheless - none are available. That's the real problem - I can live with domestic F seats on that route.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by pbd456
i book 3 tickets recently. so it is there! maybe it is because i am CO plat?
I am CO Gold (on a status match) and I don't see any. You shouldn't have to be Plat just to see a couple F seats for the entire year!!!
Old May 4, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
I am still trying to get a feel as to how difficult it will be landing 2 J awards saver pass (RT) 330 days out GUM - MAJ for non elites.
TIA
I'm guessing difficult. I'm having difficulty finding Z and D seats, not to mention award seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.