Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Island hoppped on CO Micronesia?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I wish I had looked into that. B is about $500 more than cheapest coach. Does CO allow buy-up without charging a change fee on top of the fare difference? (yeah, I am going to look at the FAQ... just wondering out aloud here)
They do if it is to a fare class that gets you the upgrade. But if you're a UA elite you don't get instant B-Ups on CO metal so it doesn't matter.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by sbm12
They do if it is to a fare class that gets you the upgrade. But if you're a UA elite you don't get instant B-Ups on CO metal so it doesn't matter.
Yup, thanks, I found an earlier thread in which buy-up was discussed, and then also realized that it's a moot point.

Ah, well, either I get the F seats with a 20k mile upgrade or we'll slum it in coach. I have done many long flights in coach before I came across FT.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I wish I had looked into that. B is about $500 more than cheapest coach. Does CO allow buy-up without charging a change fee on top of the fare difference? (yeah, I am going to look at the FAQ... just wondering out aloud here)

Edit: scratch that -- B/Y won't help since I am not a CO elite.

Seems unclear if UA reciprocity would kick in by then. I have no status on CO. Which is why I waitlisted for 20,000 miles.

I plan on minimizing carry-on to camera bag and backpack with iPad/laptop. Rollaboard will be checked (and hopefully CO won't accidentally unload it at one of the stop-overs and leave it behind).

Yeah, I have seen pictures. It's not only seeing the islands/walking around for 20-30 mins, but also knowing that I was there

Appreciate the advice. I'll be sure to come back after the trip and let everyone know if it was worth it (and whether my wife's still speaking to me).

But how does that work in practice -- is it just very uncommon for F seats to be booked for only part of the trip or do they just leave them empty for those segments? E.g., someone books MAJ-KWA in F... is it unavailable for HNL-MAJ and KWA-...-GUM unless someone happens to book just those remaining segments?

Does CO have those preferred seats (available for a fee) on those flights? Are those subject to poaching, too?
With regard to the seat poaching issue, if you paid extra for preferred seats or F seats, those are YOUR seats....you're not out of luck (or money) if someone else decides to sit there....just kindly show them your boarding pass and say that's your seat...if that doesn't work, tell a FA...it might not be a big a deal on a one hour domestic flight from IAH, but this is a 14.5 hour flight...you should get to sit where your boarding pass says. MANY FTers go to seatguru and read threads about the best/worst seats before they choose their seat so with all this time and research going into the process of seat selection, it makes no sense to let someone randomly decide to sit in your seat. On the rare occasion (both domestic and international) that someone has been in my seat, it ends up being that it was a mistake and once I show them my boarding pass, they discover where they were suppose to be and kindly move...it's really not a big deal.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
With regard to the seat poaching issue, if you paid extra for preferred seats or F seats, those are YOUR seats....you're not out of luck (or money) if someone else decides to sit there....just kindly show them your boarding pass and say that's your seat...if that doesn't work, tell a FA...it might not be a big a deal on a one hour domestic flight from IAH, but this is a 14.5 hour flight...you should get to sit where your boarding pass says. MANY FTers go to seatguru and read threads about the best/worst seats before they choose their seat so with all this time and research going into the process of seat selection, it makes no sense to let someone randomly decide to sit in your seat.
It seems to be a cultural thing, or maybe the perception that CO 957 is the shuttle bus of the islands. We'll see how it works out; while I certainly would want the (window) seat I selected, I am unlikely going to start a big argument with another passenger if a semi-equivalent seat is available (my wife probably wouldn't be very supportive, I think). If we end up in F or paying extra for "premium" coach seats, I do expect to get what I pay for, and the support of the FAs if necessary.

Speaking of seats... is the view from one side of the plane more "scenic" and thus preferable?

On the rare occasion (both domestic and international) that someone has been in my seat, it ends up being that it was a mistake and once I show them my boarding pass, they discover where they were suppose to be and kindly move...it's really not a big deal.
Right. It happens and never is an issue. (one time, I was even in the wrong seat)
Old Jul 31, 2010, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
>>>Speaking of seats... is the view from one side of the plane more "scenic" and thus preferable?>>>

I prefer the right, but that could change with the winds. But there are so many atolls from Majuro on, either side is terrific
Obviously in coach, avoid sitting over the wings
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
I am still trying to get a feel as to how difficult it will be landing 2 J awards saver pass (RT) 330 days out GUM - MAJ for non elites.
TIA
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold

Edit: scratch that -- B/Y won't help since I am not a CO elite.

Seems unclear if UA reciprocity would kick in by then. I have no status on CO. Which is why I waitlisted for 20,000 miles.

I plan on minimizing carry-on to camera bag and backpack with iPad/laptop. Rollaboard will be checked (and hopefully CO won't accidentally unload it at one of the stop-overs and leave it behind).

Yeah, I have seen pictures. It's not only seeing the islands/walking around for 20-30 mins, but also knowing that I was there

Appreciate the advice. I'll be sure to come back after the trip and let everyone know if it was worth it (and whether my wife's still speaking to me).

But how does that work in practice -- is it just very uncommon for F seats to be booked for only part of the trip or do they just leave them empty for those segments? E.g., someone books MAJ-KWA in F... is it unavailable for HNL-MAJ and KWA-...-GUM unless someone happens to book just those remaining segments?

Does CO have those preferred seats (available for a fee) on those flights? Are those subject to poaching, too?
Leaving your checked bag behind is a definite possibility. While living on KWA, the baggage handlers in MAJ sent a live dog on to KWA that was supposed to be left in MAJ, despite the carrier having a big sign on it, in addition to the luggage tag, that clearly said it was destined for Majuro. It was a huge great dane and he had to be unloaded to gain access to other luggage so it wasn't like he was easy to miss or accidently leave on the plane.

Preferred seating makes no difference to some of the locals. They just board and plop themselves down in a seat. The FAs usually don't bother trying to get them to move because by then someone else has already taken their assigned seat, and so on. On the bright side, most times the person sitting in your seat is a local and will get off at the next stop, after which you can reclaim your seat. As far as "insisting" on your assigned seat, the schedule is fairly tight and it's rare that the FAs will try to move everyone around into their assigned seats, regardless of whether or not you paid extra for it (except for FC, where your seat is your seat). Keep in mind that this is not your average CO domestic flight. It's basically a bus in coach. As far as which side is best for seating, it really doesn't matter. You can get nice views on either side.

Keep in mind that you will only be allowed in the cleared area of each airport (except KWA). You can't go outside the airport and back in.

To clear for a FC seat it has to be available for your entire itinerary. If you're flying from HNL to KWA, for example, and there's an available FC seat from MAJ to KWA but not from HNL to MAJ, they will not move you up from coach to first for that segment. They will indeed fly FC seats empty for some segments at times if that's the way it works out.

Last edited by Kwaj boy; Aug 1, 2010 at 12:30 pm
Old Aug 1, 2010, 2:12 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Paulchili
I am still trying to get a feel as to how difficult it will be landing 2 J awards saver pass (RT) 330 days out GUM - MAJ for non elites.
TIA
Not too bad (J rewards are the same for Silver & Gold as non-elites), though only if your dates are flexible. It might be easier closer in. The once (?) weekly nonstop (951/952, Sat GUM-MAJ, Mon. MAJ-GUM) might be easier to snag.

This comes up at 30,000 miles in J (I thought it was 40k).
Old Aug 1, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by ralfp
Not too bad (J rewards are the same for Silver & Gold as non-elites), though only if your dates are flexible. It might be easier closer in. The once (?) weekly nonstop (951/952, Sat GUM-MAJ, Mon. MAJ-GUM) might be easier to snag.

This comes up at 30,000 miles in J (I thought it was 40k).
Thank you - let's hope for the best.
I don't mind flying the daytime nonstop but not the overnight one (defeats the purpose of "sightseeing")
My dates are slightly flexible. If I get an economy award and business/first opens later, can I change the award?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does HNL-GUM and vice versa count as an international flight as far as Star Alliance access rules for *G are concerned? In other words, will I have access to the PC in HNL before the flight to GUM and will I have access to the RCC when connecting (separate ticket) from GUM-HNL to United's HNL-SFO?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:22 pm

Location: KFST (Nrst=KMAF) or wherever the airplane just took me from there.; PWP Botmaster
Programs: Pre Merger - CO Plat/1MM/STAR. Post Merger - UA 1K/2MM.
Did the island hopper back a month ago, westbound. Wonderful.

Does HNL-GUM and vice versa count as an international flight as far as Star Alliance access rules for *G are concerned? In other words, will I have access to the PC in HNL before the flight to GUM and will I have access to the RCC when connecting (separate ticket) from GUM-HNL to United's HNL-SFO?
HNL-GUM is not truly international, as GUM is a US Trust Territory and you do not clear immigration or customs on arrival in GUM.

There is no RCC in GUM, only a PClub.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COFreqFlyer
Did the island hopper back a month ago, westbound. Wonderful.
Going westbound myself and looking forward to it.

HNL-GUM is not truly international, as GUM is a US Trust Territory and you do not clear immigration or customs on arrival in GUM.

There is no RCC in GUM, only a PClub.
yup, I know, but I meant the RCC in HNL on the way back.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:42 am

Programs: OnePass/*Gold, CX , QR , UA MP
Exhausted but worth it

I had the opportunity to fly eastward from MNL to GUM then to HNL via the Micronesian Island Hopper. There were quite a number of Chuukese patients treated in Manila who were 'airlifted' back to their homeland. It was quite an experience learning about the different Micronesian customs, albeit quite on amhurried scale. The vistas were breathtaking on every landing. I was in the bulkhead 7A which was a great vantage point for pictures. We also had some mech problems when we got to MAJ thus a new plane came from HNL to pick us up. The 5 hour wait was not that bad though. I was beside a young man with his grandfather; they boarded in Pohnapei and the former was bringing the old man to Kentucky as a birthday gift. Such a long trip for them.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ordiahnl
I had the opportunity to fly eastward from MNL to GUM then to HNL via the Micronesian Island Hopper. There were quite a number of Chuukese patients treated in Manila who were 'airlifted' back to their homeland. It was quite an experience learning about the different Micronesian customs, albeit quite on amhurried scale. The vistas were breathtaking on every landing. I was in the bulkhead 7A which was a great vantage point for pictures. We also had some mech problems when we got to MAJ thus a new plane came from HNL to pick us up. The 5 hour wait was not that bad though. I was beside a young man with his grandfather; they boarded in Pohnapei and the former was bringing the old man to Kentucky as a birthday gift. Such a long trip for them.
They didn't make you sit on the broken plane for 5 hours I hope...maybe they bought you dinner? MAJ does have a food court, right?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
They didn't make you sit on the broken plane for 5 hours I hope...maybe they bought you dinner? MAJ does have a food court, right?
I'd have went sightseeing in MAJ! 5 Hours is more than enough!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.