Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reward Waitlisting - Does it ever work?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2001, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Reward Waitlisting - Does it ever work?

I have waitlisted for certain days on at least 10 reward itineraries- some of them more than 6 months out - and never had any luck. (None of these dates were peak dates either.)

Have many of you received the dates you waitlisted for? Did CO call and tell you or e-mail you?

Is there any strategy to be employed?
Old Dec 4, 2001, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
What elite status do you hold, if any?
Old Dec 4, 2001, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
What route are you waitlisting for?

I've never had to waitlist for an award trip, just an award upgrade. I've never been called when it's available -- I have to call when I see it open up.

Good luck.

Daniel
Old Dec 4, 2001, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Concur. Usually do not get called, sometimes do. Just had a reward waitlist clear for some BF seats from Brussels in very early 2002 for 4 people, 2 platinums & 2 golds, all 4 cleared at the same time, 29 days out.
Old Dec 5, 2001, 2:00 am

I got cleared in August when I was Silver for a flight from SJO (costa rica) to EWR.
Old Dec 5, 2001, 6:26 am

Don't feel bad, I've been trying to get reward travel IAH-NAS for April 14-21 for 4 months now and they can't accomodate me.
Old Dec 5, 2001, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free

In my case, it is usually rare that they do call. And when they do, lately, it is that annoying recording, that doesn't give you the record locator. I usually have 2 or 3 pending CO reservations, and I have to go through each of them to figure out what "changed" (which could range from an upgrade to a cancelled flight, who knows).

However, my waitlist clearance percentage is pretty high (can only recall one incident in the last year or so where I wasn't upgraded to BF with miles). This is the case even for my wife, who's a lowly silver and has had clearances even after the CSR strongly suggested that I take her off the list since her chances for an upgrade were "nil".
Old Dec 5, 2001, 10:12 am
Original Poster

I am Gold and the routes vary. Its usually my return date thats full, so I end up putting that date on the waitlist and reserving a return a day or two out.

I just wanted to know how real the waitlist is because so far I havent had any success with it. But I'll hold off my skepticism for a few more tries.

For those of you that didnt get calls (but cleared the waitlist) - did you just call to reconfirm and SURPRISE! you got the dates you wanted?
Old Dec 8, 2001, 6:05 am
sim

I have been waitlisted on numerous award tickets and have always cleared. They don't alway call to let you know but I usually check every couple weeks.
Old Dec 19, 2001, 3:00 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, lowly UA Silver
I've been on a waitlist for a K fare BF upgrade prior to the "30 day window" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum.../003887.html). I'm at 25 days out now and my flight has been showing Z3 on ITN prior to and after the window passed. I'm platinum so I assume I have some priority on the list. (right?) So is it just that rev management is being stingy in opening up seats?
Old Dec 19, 2001, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Why would you take the wife (silver) off the wait list? What would you gain by taking her off the list? what would you lose by leaving her on the list?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pickles:

This is the case even for my wife, who's a lowly silver and has had clearances even after the CSR strongly suggested that I take her off the list since her chances for an upgrade were "nil".
</font>
Old Dec 19, 2001, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TrojanHorse:
Why would you take the wife (silver) off the wait list? What would you gain by taking her off the list? what would you lose by leaving her on the list?
</font>
If a silver passenger and gold/platinum passenger are on the same reservation, upgrade/reward waitlisting priority goes by the lower of the statuses. By removing his wife, he presumably increases his own chances of being upgraded (and decreases his chances of a peaceful evening)
Old Dec 20, 2001, 8:38 pm

Location: Huntsville AL, previously Kwajalein - Republic of the Marshall Islands
Programs: CO Plat, DL Plat
When Kwaj boy & I were silvers in Jan '01 we booked F/C reward seats @ 40000 miles each from KWA to CNS to travel in Dec '01; the segment from GUM to CNS was waitlisted for F/C (booked in Y) and cleared in May '01. So that took 4 months but CO didn't call or email to let us know the seats had cleared. Luckily I have access to a local airport agent who kept checking and kept me informed!
Now we are in the same predicament again for next year to KIX and PEK....no matter how early you book these things it seems that F/C is ALWAYS "waitlisted".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.