"The Extra Mile" is back

Old Nov 21, 01, 11:10 am
Original Poster

"The Extra Mile" is back

Just saw this on the OnePass website. Fly on CO metal from Jan. 1 through Dec. 31, 2002 after paying a $99.00 fee up front. Earn a 50% mileage bonus up to 10,000 miles. Get 1,000 extra bonus miles for signing up online.
Old Nov 21, 01, 11:14 am

I signed up today!
Old Nov 21, 01, 11:22 am

Do these miles apply towards Elite status? Thank you.
Old Nov 21, 01, 11:25 am

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Joey:
Do these miles apply towards Elite status? Thank you.</font>
no.

rule of thumb for you... unless you see all of us doing happy dances, the bonuses never apply towards status... LOL

------------------
All Hail Mighty Oregon!

GO DUCKS GO!
Old Nov 21, 01, 11:45 am

Am I the only one who doesn't see much value in this? The upper limit of 10K kinda ruined it for me.

I think I'd rather pay 99$ for a few prez club coupons, or other goodies.
Old Nov 21, 01, 11:48 am

It's an okay deal, but it's definitely not making me get up and dance.

The promotion will net you a maximum of 11,000 miles (1K for signing up and 10K maximum mile accumulation). If you are receiving a value 0.02 per mile then the 11K miles are worth 220$. A gain of 121$.

However, while I often receive a value of 0.02 per mile for other airlines for mile redemptions (and often more) the routes that I tend to use my miles for on Continental tend to benefit me 0.015 per mile. That means that for me, 11K x 0.015 = 165$ less 99$ = a gain of only 66$.

Not to even mention that you are tying up your 99$ for up to a year while you attempt to reach the maximum of 10K.

This is a good deal if you are planning to travel enough to reach 10K in the first couple of months and then are planning to use the points for a free ticket shortly thereafter. Otherwise, there really is no sizzle to this offer.

------------------
Got points ? Got smiles !

[edited for 1 measly spelling error]

[This message has been edited by Stephen loves Starwood (edited 11-21-2001).]
Old Nov 21, 01, 11:52 am

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
i know what you mean. i bought it for the mrs. so she could keep up with me somewhat. all the credit card miles go into her account as well, just to make it fair. she'll stay silver, but i'm going to make it to platinum on my next trip.

if you fly a lot and can earn the 10000 miles, i think its worth it. if you earn the 10,000 miles, it works out to .0099 cents/mile (according to the calculator). don't we say that the miles are valued at .025 cents/mile? heck i might just do this myself next year...

------------------
All Hail Mighty Oregon!

GO DUCKS GO!
Old Nov 21, 01, 12:11 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Didn't they offer a special deal earlier this year for people who re-signed?
Old Nov 21, 01, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Rif Raf (Defrocked 1K), CO Lead (Former Plat), QF Bronze
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Stephen loves Starwood:
It's an okay deal, but it's definitely not making me get up and dance.

[/B]</font>
Keep in mind that, thanks to the introduction of HoKeY fares, CO miles aren't worth what they were a year ago!

Old Nov 21, 01, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
do all fares qualify? Specifically the Q and T fares?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ClassicalGal:
Just saw this on the OnePass website. Fly on CO metal from Jan. 1 through Dec. 31, 2002 after paying a $99.00 fee up front. Earn a 50% mileage bonus up to 10,000 miles. Get 1,000 extra bonus miles for signing up online.</font>
Old Nov 21, 01, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Rif Raf (Defrocked 1K), CO Lead (Former Plat), QF Bronze
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TrojanHorse:
do all fares qualify? Specifically the Q and T fares?

</font>
Yes! The CO website states "on every paid flight." So, if your flight qualifies for miles, you'll get the bonus. That includes Q and T fares.

Keep in mind, though, that the meter stops running after you've earned 10,000 bonus miles through this promo.

Old Nov 21, 01, 2:38 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
"Didn't they offer a special deal earlier this year for people who re-signed?"

Yes. Many people who signed up 2 years ago report they were offfered the same deal with no limit on the miles. Thus if you fly 100,000 miles, you clear 50,000 in your account. In this case its worth it. Anyone up for a gamble?
Old Nov 21, 01, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

duxfan observed:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">rule of thumb for you... unless you see all of us doing happy dances, the bonuses never apply towards status</font>
That was a good one!

I'm going to steal it.
Old Nov 21, 01, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
The mileage cap also sours it for me. People have different valuations on miles based on favorite awards and their perceived value. I peg it at 1.66 cents a mile (more conservative than the more often used 2 cents), meaning that it's $183 or so in mileage value against the $99 (with the online signup bonus factored in).

That's not terrible since I'll no doubt have enough activity for it anyway, but, in paying money for miles without getting travel as well, it seems the potential gain-to-cost ratio should be higher. A higher cap or even no cap would help this offer quite a bit.
Old Nov 22, 01, 1:51 am
R&R

I see it this way. If you only fly 10,000 miles on paid tickets, then for $99.00, will get another 10,000 miles and that adds up to an award ticket!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: