Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

AA extends plat exec, plat & gold thru 2003 -CO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2001, 10:54 am
Original Poster

You think CO will do something similar to this? Interested in thoughts..

Old Sep 27, 2001, 11:16 am
Suspended

Well, it wouldn't affect those who have qualified on CO during calender year 2001 as that status lasts until Feb 2003 as it is. I'm just assuming here; but I would think many (obviously not all) CO FTers fit into that category partially due to the bonus-mania of early this year.

It would be a nice gesture to those who haven't qualified during 2001, I suppose-- but I would guess some here would see it as an undeserved "free pass" to those who weren't doing much flying, even previous to Sept 11th.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 2:19 pm

I'm not expecting it, and I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

That said, I fall into the "might not make it" category for 2001. I had a few mileage runs planned for mid September through mid-October, and with all the schedule cancellations and trying to rebook that into my life, a few itineraries have been cancelled altogether.

It's going to be down-to-the-wire for me, personally.

:\
Old Sep 27, 2001, 2:38 pm

I'm kinda 50/50. I hope they do something for people. But at the same time I've flown my butt off this year. And since I've had to earn it, I think others should too.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 3:16 pm
Rich Fronheiser

WHY SHOULD THEY?

I flew the 8th and then the 16th and three times cross-country since then.

I think it is ludicrous that the airlines would even consider comping people for next year. If customers want to earn elite status, they should buy tickets and put their butts in the seats.

Rich, who will finally earn Platinum in the next 10 days

Old Sep 27, 2001, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser:
WHY SHOULD THEY?

I flew the 8th and then the 16th and three times cross-country since then.

I think it is ludicrous that the airlines would even consider comping people for next year. If customers want to earn elite status, they should buy tickets and put their butts in the seats.

Rich, who will finally earn Platinum in the next 10 days
</font>

You know, I kinda agree, but I'm sure if I didn't do my mileage run last week to ensure I requalified for elite I would feel different.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 6:57 pm

Socrates

The point is that you did in fact do your mileage run- well done!
Old Sep 28, 2001, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I hope that they don't, I've put in 16000 miles since they started flying again after the 11th. I'm earning it and I hope that I don't lose an upgrade b/c they comped someone who was too scared to fly or knew that they didn't have to fly to keep their status.

However I'm afraid that CO might join DL and AA on this.

HEY GORDO, DON'T DO IT "PLEASE"
Old Sep 28, 2001, 10:06 am

I don't think CO should extend it. I managed to requalify for platinum on my first flight after 9/11, I was originally supposed to qualify on that date.

In addition, I already have 30,000 more miles booked for the future.
Old Sep 28, 2001, 10:30 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
IMO, it is almost certain that CO will do this. The only qustion is the details. What would be nice is for CO to provide some special benefit for those that did it the "old fashioned way" and flew the miles. But then this would be an "enhancement" and excuse me if I'm leary of enhancements.
Old Sep 28, 2001, 10:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Vulcan:
IMO, it is almost certain that CO will do this. The only qustion is the details. What would be nice is for CO to provide some special benefit for those that did it the "old fashioned way" and flew the miles. But then this would be an "enhancement" and excuse me if I'm leary of enhancements. </font>
would it make sense if CO allow those people who requalify this year to extend their status through 2004? on second thought, that might make it into a logistic nightmare...
Old Sep 28, 2001, 11:00 am

Just my opinion - but I think a reduction of say 5K or so per level would be reasonable.

Best,
Alec in PVD
Old Sep 28, 2001, 1:18 pm
Rich Fronheiser

Once again, I ask WHY?

Except for four days the week of September 11, the airline has been operating and there is NO REASON people can't fly like they did before the attack.

I am, others I know are, and if you want Platinum status you should too.

Period.

I'm flying to St. Louis and Houston next week, Houston the week after that, and Phoenix the week after that. By the end of next week, I will be Platinum.

Comp-ing people only diminishes the fact I flew my miles.

I'm tired of listening to talk show hosts (who fly once every year) talk to people who exclaim flying is soooooo unsafe -- and those people fly once every three years.

I still feel safer getting on a plane than getting in a cab. Other Americans should too. And start flying again.

Rich

Old Sep 28, 2001, 1:29 pm

Location: Huntsville AL, previously Kwajalein - Republic of the Marshall Islands
Programs: CO Plat, DL Plat
Our company has virtually GROUNDED all employee travel until further notice. So I might just miss out on maintaining my status for the next year. :-(
Old Sep 28, 2001, 4:17 pm
UpUp&Upgrade

I don’t like blanket give-a-way’s. Cheapens elite status. I like the carrot approach.

The best option would be to allow a reduced number of segments/miles needed for re-qualification IF you fly a certain number of segments between now (or a certain recent date) and end of the year. Ex: 30 % reduction in number of segments & flight miles needed for elite if you fly X # times between now and the end of year. That would help get people back on the planes and restore some confidence.

I'm going to retain Plat regardless, but this might help get ff'ers flying again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.