How to interpret routing rules?

Old Sep 28, 2001, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
How to interpret routing rules?

I'm trying to do a milage run, but can't figure out how to add an additional segment or two to my return flight. Can anyone tell me how to interpret the following routing rules for SAN-BWI:

ROUTING 6 FROM SAN-CO-LAX-CO-
OR FROM SAN-CO-LAS/PHX/SLC-CO-
VIA DTT/HOU/MSP-CO-
OR VIA HOU-CO-ATL/BNA/CHI/CMH/DFW/
IND/MKC/MSY/SDF/STL/FLL/MEM/ORL/RIC/
TPA/DAY-CO-
TO CLE-CO-DTT-CO-CLE-CO-BWI*
OR TO DTT-CO-EWR/NYC-CO-BWI*

Old Sep 30, 2001, 8:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Srodr,

Reading the routing rules is fairly straightforward once you understand the key words. You read the rules from left to right.

The FROM keyword tells you where you can begin travel. You read from left to right after the FROM keyword to illustrate the possible path(s) your travel may take, as well as the carrier you my fly between the two cities. e.g. FROM SAN-CO-LAX means you may fly from San Diego to Los Angeles Intl on CO. If you hit an OR keyword, this means that you back up to the most recent FROM, VIA, or TO and this new block is another, but separate possible route.

All of the intermediary cities between your origin (SAN) and destination (BWI) are cities that you may make connections in. You also have to travel in that direction, i.e. on the line where it says CLE-CO-DTT-CO-CLE-CO-BWI, that means you may fly from DTT to CLE to BWI, but only in that order. Also, you may never backtrack or visit a city twice, even if it listed multiple times along the path.

The VIA key word lists a possible intermediary path along your journey. For example, on your posting, you may fly via DTT/HOU/MSP or via HOU-ATL/BNA/CHI/CMH/.../DAY . But like before, the OR keyword means you may only choose one of the paths in the VIA listing. Also, if there are multiple cities separated by forward slashes (/), that means that you may choose only one of those cities to route through. The hyphen means that you may fly between the two cities on the carrier specified.

Hope this helps. The simple thing to remember is they read left to right, and you can't backtrack or visit a city twice (technically backtracking) even if it's in the routing path twice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.